Netware & Linux

Post by roo » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 17:29:53

Currently, here at GIANT, inc. (yes in Iowa CIty, IA) we have been
playing with Linux a bit to see if we could "give" it to our clients
to have (if not anything else) internet mail, FTP, etc...

Currently, Our Linux system is just a 486SX with 16meg of memory and has
3 dial-in modems.  Also, it is connected to our Novell Netware 3.12
network.  Any/All PCs and MACs can open multiple sessions using
Lan Workgroup for DOS (and Windows).  It works great with a CSLIP.

We will also be expiermenting with something called NETWARE/IP.
It will be interesting to see how these two interact...

Netware & Linux

Post by Chris D. Johnst » Fri, 26 Aug 1994 15:06:14

: Currently, here at GIANT, inc. (yes in Iowa CIty, IA) we have been
: playing with Linux a bit to see if we could "give" it to our clients
: to have (if not anything else) internet mail, FTP, etc...

: Currently, Our Linux system is just a 486SX with 16meg of memory and has
: 3 dial-in modems.  Also, it is connected to our Novell Netware 3.12
: network.  Any/All PCs and MACs can open multiple sessions using
: Lan Workgroup for DOS (and Windows).  It works great with a CSLIP.

: We will also be expiermenting with something called NETWARE/IP.
: It will be interesting to see how these two interact...

Well, before you get everyone setup, you really should look at your
/usr/local/lib/news/mailname and whoami files.  You are still blasting off
your return system name as myhost.subdomain.domain.  If you are really
planning to set your users up, make sure that these entries are
configured properly.  Just a simple hint :-)

We use NetWare 3.11, 3.12, and 4.01 in our shop.  Two of the Machines have
NFS for NetWare up and running.  It works quite well.  We will playing with
the NetWare/IP soon.

Neat thing about the NFS for NetWare is that you can telnet to the server
from X in Linux and get an Xwindow with the server console.  Great for
maintenance, especially over ISDN.

Let me know how your NetWare/IP works.  I'd be very interested.

Best Regards,  Chris Johnston

P.S.  Don't forget to finish you configuration of CNEWS :-)

Chris D. Johnston  Surf City Software, Orange, CA  714/289-8543

Netware & Linux

Post by Suman Sa » Sat, 27 Aug 1994 15:45:56

: Well, before you get everyone setup, you really should look at your
: /usr/local/lib/news/mailname and whoami files.  You are still blasting off
: your return system name as myhost.subdomain.domain.  If you are really
: planning to set your users up, make sure that these entries are
: configured properly.  Just a simple hint :-)

Sorry -- was logged in as root again.

: We use NetWare 3.11, 3.12, and 4.01 in our shop.  Two of the Machines have
: NFS for NetWare up and running.  It works quite well.  We will playing with
: the NetWare/IP soon.

Netware /IP 1000-user should be up next week or so.  Still waiting on
my client to get his Cisco.  (Oh, by the way, we've allocated resources
for a T1 link here...  It's gona be interesting.  I really want to set
up an http site here!)

: Neat thing about the NFS for NetWare is that you can telnet to the server
: from X in Linux and get an Xwindow with the server console.  Great for
: maintenance, especially over ISDN.

Actually, we will be using NeXT Step systems to handle our IP needs.
This will be run on either an ALR or AST dual-90 pent systems.

: Let me know how your NetWare/IP works.  I'd be very interested.
Will do.

: P.S.  Don't forget to finish you configuration of CNEWS :-)
(I probably don't have whatever I am logged in as configured.  oops.)

--

1. HELP: Netware & Linux

Hi
Hi I'm trying to mount some Netware Volumes under
Linux and IT DOESN'T work!

Situation:

**  Netware 4.1 Bindery context is set on users and servers
**  Suse Linux 5.x
**  IPX was driven and interface seems to be alright
**  slist shows relevant servers

!!! ncpmount just sais: mount failed!

??  Where do I find a logfile of what does exaclty happen?
??  What have I done wrong?

HELP appreciated, regard Jochen

--
Viele Gr"usse, Jochen Vollmer

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Jochen Vollmer, Jakob Welder-Weg 34, App. 153
                55128 Mainz
                -49-6131-394874

                http://www.uni-mainz.de/~vollj000
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

2. Lightnux, the slim Linux

3. Netware & Linux

4. SVGALIB and seg faults.

5. Netware & Linux 2.2.19