PP288 Internal and Serials

Post by Douglas Warr » Tue, 19 Jul 1994 00:47:16

 * Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help

I have a problem that may or may not be directly related to Linux...  I have
a Practical Perfiferal 28.8kb internal modem set up on cua 3, (IRQ 4) and
a Digiboard 8 port board set to use IRQ 3.  If I do not run the setserial
program on cua3, the PP refuses to respond.  When I run setserial on it,
setserial says it's IRQ0, and then the modem works.  The only problem is
that the modem looses approx. 10% of all characters, even at 2400 bps!!!
I have tried moving the modem to cua2, but the problem still exists.  cua0
has a dumb terminal that acts rather weird as well (It says it is connected
at 19.2kb but it's really 2400) cua1 exists but there is nothing plugged
into it.  The digiboard is connected to 8 sportsters, all of which work
flawlessly.  I'm really out of ideas on what the problem here is!

--
     Douglas ``Wildcat'' Warren

"No Matter Where You Go There You Are" -- Buckaroo Banzai
"We Bash Our Way To Glory" -- L. Ron Hubbard _Battlefield_Earth_
"There Can Be Only One!" -- The Kurgan, Ramirez, Connor MacLeod _Highlander_
"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BEER!!!" -- Pete Redko

PP288 Internal and Serials

Post by Ted Deppn » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 03:18:17

>  * Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help

> I have a problem that may or may not be directly related to Linux...  I have
> a Practical Perfiferal 28.8kb internal modem set up on cua 3, (IRQ 4) and
> a Digiboard 8 port board set to use IRQ 3.  If I do not run the setserial
> program on cua3, the PP refuses to respond.  When I run setserial on it,
> setserial says it's IRQ0, and then the modem works.  The only problem is
> that the modem looses approx. 10% of all characters, even at 2400 bps!!!
> I have tried moving the modem to cua2, but the problem still exists.  cua0
> has a dumb terminal that acts rather weird as well (It says it is connected
> at 19.2kb but it's really 2400) cua1 exists but there is nothing plugged
> into it.  The digiboard is connected to 8 sportsters, all of which work
> flawlessly.  I'm really out of ideas on what the problem here is!

let's see.
cua0 - terminal 2400 - irq?  assume 4
cua1 - not in use    - irq 3
cua2 - empty?  non existant?
cua3 - 28.8          - irq 4
digiboard            - irq 3

sounds like a simple interrupt conflict.  set the cua3 to use irq 5 on
your modem and try that.  Try putting only one device per irq.

Please don't be offended if you've already done this, you didn't mention
you had made sure your IRQs were separated.

IRQ's you can use, assuming your boards support them.
3,4,5,7,10,15

those are the safest.  irq 7 may be used by your LPT port, so it may be
unavailable.  network cards, bus mice, etc, etc, may take some of those
up too, so be sure to check your docs.  ( or your dmesg output )

I run the following.
cua0   - irq 4
cua1   - irq 3
cua2   - irq 5
ne2000 - irq 15

And I have a happy computer.
---
Ted Deppner

1. PP288 Internal and Serials

[...]

2. Gnome 1.0 mouse problems....

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Anyone knows how to turn on the numlock under xwindows (not manually)

5. Serial port conflicting with internal modem

6. Failure of install 109949-01

7. Sun internal serial number to hostid database?

8. LCP TermReq with pppd and shiva?!?

9. Serial Port/Internal Modem on Boot Up failure - Help No Modem!

10. Serial port problems (PnP & internal modem)

11. 2.6 x86 PCI serial and internal modem woes.

12. Serial port/Internal modem

13. Serial ports and internal modems..