Syquest 105 Mb 3.5" IDE, does it work?

Post by Sverre H. Huse » Fri, 10 Jun 1994 18:27:11

I'm planning to buy some backup equipment for my Linux-box.
The removable "hard floppy"-disk from Syquest seems like an
interesting thing. Does anybody know if it will work with
Linux? The Hardware-HOWTO under IDE-harddisks, states that
"most will work", but I don't know if this drive is like
"most" of the others...

Sverre.

Sverre H. Huseby                                    Student

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~sverrehu

My employer (that's me) is not responsible for my opinions.

Syquest 105 Mb 3.5" IDE, does it work?

Post by Karl Eichwald » Sat, 11 Jun 1994 08:05:30

Why the devil you will buy the IDE equipement?  I've heard, it eats too m ouch
CPU recourses.

I'm running an old 44MB SCSI device here, and I'm quite happy with it.

--
Karl

1. Linux and SyQuest SQ3105S (105 MB) cartridge drive?

I have just acquired a SyQuest SQ3105S cartridge drive.  This drive holds
105 MB per removable cartridge, and the cartridges are 3.5" size.  I got
the internal SCSI model, with the intention of mounting it in my PC's case
and hooking it into my Adaptec AHA-1540B SCSI card.

(a) Will this drive work in this setup?
(b) Does Linux fully support the concept of a removable hard drive?  Will
I be able to read to, write from, mount, unmount, etc. cartridges, and
allow users to mount and unmount the cartridges with the "user" option in
/etc/fstab, without having any data damage?
(c) Can Linux use these cartridges as a backup device?
(d) Can Linux read cartridges formatted with a DOS filesystem, just as
easily (and as bug-free) as if with ext2 formatted cartridges, etc.?

Sorry if the questions sound naive, I am just trying to make sure
everything will work right in my system.

Please respond by mail or to c.o.l.hardware.  Thanks!
--
Donald Burr, ComSci major in training   ** TEL: (805)564-1871
POB 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212 ** FAX: (805)564-2315

PGP - Uphold your right to privacy - public key available

2. glibc-2.2.4 iopopen.c compile error

3. Removable IDE (Syquest 105/270Mo)

5. Syquest 105 SCSI Drivers

6. Mindmanager

7. Syquest 105 SCSI drivers

8. Jobs impedes BeOS support for G3 Mac's! (and MkLinux?)

9. SyQuest 105 parallel port drive

10. 3.5" 650 MB Magneto Optical Disk support?

11. 105 Key "Win 95" Keyboard and Linux

12. How to go "OK" promt from Netra T1 105 Rack server withour root password.

13. Help - 3.5" floppy drive stopped working