Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

Post by kb » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 00:54:40

Hello All:

I installed Linux (RedHat 7.1) and all went fine.
Except of course one detail.

I have a 2nd 8 Gig hard drive, that is not being used by Linux at all.
It is partitioned as 2 Gig FAT and 6 Gig FAT.

Can I use Disk Druid to make this disk space available to Linux?
Or is Disk Druid just an install tool?

Also is there documentation/guidelines on how this space should be
allocated to Linux.  Like would it be smart to allocate some of this
space to a swap file?

Many Thanks

KBD

Post by J Sloa » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 06:01:20

> Hello All:

> I installed Linux (RedHat 7.1) and all went fine.
> Except of course one detail.

> I have a 2nd 8 Gig hard drive, that is not being used by Linux at all.
> It is partitioned as 2 Gig FAT and 6 Gig FAT.

Ah, a perfect opportunity to add a swap mirror!

Quote:> Can I use Disk Druid to make this disk space available to Linux?
> Or is Disk Druid just an install tool?

I'm not sure if disk druid is available after the
fact, but fdisk works for me - I often use fdisk
to add partitions to a running system -

Quote:> Also is there documentation/guidelines on how this space should be
> allocated to Linux.  Like would it be smart to allocate some of this
> space to a swap file?

No, not a swap file per se, but a swap partition.
a swap partition is raw access, straight to the
disk, and is the normal setup.

a swap file is a "oh, no I screwed up, better
add a swap file" kind of thing, since swap
partitons are normally laid out during the
install.

cu

jjs

Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

Post by kb » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 01:28:44

swap mirror??

Sorry. Total newbee.

Is there documentation/guidelines on how this space should be
allocated to Linux.  Like would it be smart to allocate some of this
space to a swap partition?

Thanks

KBD

> > Hello All:

> > I installed Linux (RedHat 7.1) and all went fine.
> > Except of course one detail.

> > I have a 2nd 8 Gig hard drive, that is not being used by Linux at all.
> > It is partitioned as 2 Gig FAT and 6 Gig FAT.

> Ah, a perfect opportunity to add a swap mirror!

> > Can I use Disk Druid to make this disk space available to Linux?
> > Or is Disk Druid just an install tool?

> I'm not sure if disk druid is available after the
> fact, but fdisk works for me - I often use fdisk
> to add partitions to a running system -

> > Also is there documentation/guidelines on how this space should be
> > allocated to Linux.  Like would it be smart to allocate some of this
> > space to a swap file?

> No, not a swap file per se, but a swap partition.
> a swap partition is raw access, straight to the
> disk, and is the normal setup.

> a swap file is a "oh, no I screwed up, better
> add a swap file" kind of thing, since swap
> partitons are normally laid out during the
> install.

> cu

> jjs

1. Hosing Hard Drives with Disk Druid

So I try to install Red Hat 5.2 using boot disk and CD. Situation is this:
Pentium 120, a 1G and a 2G EIDE drive. The 2G is the C drive; the 1G use to be
the C drive, but I had it swritched over when I bought the second drive.
Therefore, the 1G drive just had the old version of my system and nothing
essential (or so I thought, the guy I bought the HD from actually did the
changeover). My plan was to make the 1G drive Linux-only. I used disk druid
instead of Partition Magic because I didn't see an easy was to delete a
primary partition in PM, which was what Red Hat Install Guide said to do -
delete the existing DOS partition and add some Linux ones.

So I get to the disk druid stuff, delete the DOS partition on hdb, and it
refuses to put the Linux root partition on hdb. It puts it on my first drive
instead, regardless of which box I check in the Add dialog. At first, I didn't
notice it was on the wrong disk, so I ended up saving this configuration
before I realized it was funny. On the Swap, no problem, hdb, but not root. I
try this several times, installing partitions on my first drive and then
deleting them when they didn't come out right.

So I figured I'd reboot into Windows and see if PM could figure this out. A
boot attempt from the Hard Drive brought up the memory check, found both
drives, no problem, then the cheerful message: No ROM. Basic System Halted.
Kewl.  Is this a BIOS problem? Was this thing still using ROM from the old
partition? Or perhaps the MBR is hosed? Most importantly, how do I fix this?

So then I reboot again from the floppy, go through the motions to get to disk
druid. Disk Druids finds the 102M Linux partition it created (I'd had about
450M of unpartitioned free space on hda), but not the DOS partition. It
doesn't find any partitions on the hdb drive.

2. Installing SVGA X-server

3. Disk Druid installs '/' to incorrect hard drive (Red Hat 6.1)

4. Observations wanted re. FreeBSD vs Linux as Apache platform

5. Disk Druid can't detect hard drive???

6. Dec 2100 4/233 Redhat 7.2

7. During Linux install "Disk Druid" not recognizing 20GB Hard Drive properly....

8. Problem installing from CDROM

9. Disk Druid problem on 8.4G hard drive

10. copying hard drive to hard drive

11. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

12. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

13. Hard Drive to Hard Drive Copy