External, parallel interfaced CD-ROM?

Post by Colin Roton » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Is there a Linux kernel configuration that will support a CD-ROM drive,
>connected externally via the parallel printer port? (One of those
>"carry-around" thingies). I wasn't able to find any info in the LDP
>HOW-TOs.

Everything I've seen says you can't do that, yet (which is true for many
things that don't work under linux). Keep looking though. You might also
be able to find someone that would be willing to help you write a driver.

MJB

Post by George S. Suzuk » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> >Is there a Linux kernel configuration that will support a CD-ROM drive,
> >connected externally via the parallel printer port? (One of those
> >"carry-around" thingies). I wasn't able to find any info in the LDP
> >HOW-TOs.

> Everything I've seen says you can't do that, yet (which is true for many
> things that don't work under linux). Keep looking though. You might also
> be able to find someone that would be willing to help you write a driver.

> MJB

I recently found the following links cover such drivers called "easyHard".
I'll give it a shot on President's Day.  It's strange but cool to use Mac's cable
to connect a SCSI disk drive to PC.

http://www.bekkoame.or.jp/~egota/eh.html
http://www.bekkoame.or.jp/~egota/EasyHard/EasyHardE.doc

BTW, is this thread suitable to this group?

George S. Suzuki                              http://www.pascousa.com

PASCO USA, INC.
4913 Gettysburg Road, Mechanicsburg PA 17055-4816