Can't get WorkMan to work with a NEC CDR-74

Can't get WorkMan to work with a NEC CDR-74

Post by Philippe Temp » Tue, 04 Jan 1994 04:08:07

I just recently found out about workman in the /user/openwin/bin
directory.  I have a Adaptec 1542C with a NEC CDR-74 on it.  I haven't
had any luck in getting it to read aoudio CD's. :-(  Anybody out there
used workman with this setup?  I can't see why it does not work...  I
can mount -r -t iso9660 filesystems on /dev/sr0 without a problem
though.

Philippe

Post by Brandon S. Allbe » Tue, 04 Jan 1994 09:06:55

+---------------
| directory.  I have a Adaptec 1542C with a NEC CDR-74 on it.  I haven't
| had any luck in getting it to read aoudio CD's. :-(  Anybody out there
+---------------

You'll probably find "drive reports invalid request" messages in
/var/adm/kernel or wherever your kernel messages are going.  Early NEC CDROMs
use non-Sun-compatible commands to play audio CDs; later ones (I just got a
CDR-400) support most of the Sun commands, but not volume and balance.

++Brandon
--

"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years

Do not taunt Happy Fun Coder.   (seen on the Net...)

Post by Matthew Rhot » Tue, 04 Jan 1994 06:21:34

>I just recently found out about workman in the /user/openwin/bin
>directory.  I have a Adaptec 1542C with a NEC CDR-74 on it.  I haven't
>had any luck in getting it to read aoudio CD's. :-(  Anybody out there
>used workman with this setup?  I can't see why it does not work...  I
>can mount -r -t iso9660 filesystems on /dev/sr0 without a problem
>though.

I remember reading (while I was still picking a CD-ROM drive to buy)
that the NEC has Special (tm) commands/ioctls for reading audio
CDs. This means that it is not fully SCSI-2 compliant. I nuked the
mail I had saved about this when I bought a Toshiba XM3401, but seem
to remember that people have gotten it to play audio CDs, but with
more work. There is a (beta) xcdplayer on tsx-11 in linux/BETA/cdrom/,
but I have not run this program so cannot vouch for it. If you can get
sources for these changes, you could probably patch workman yourself.

Hope this helps,
 -matt

--
Matthew Rhoten - his .signature, his opinions.

"I'm not sure I remember HOW to sleep."
 -Dan Sommerfield

1. Play Audio CDs/NEC CDR-74/SCSI/console

I've got a CD-ROM drive from NEC, using a SCSI card, but I don't have any
programs that run under Linux that will play audio discs.

Are there any such programs that do not run under X?  I don't have X.

Any information appreciated.

Scott
Scott Mark              (219) 262-7452          7:30 - 4:00 EST

2. Problem installing Seagate 23gb disk drives

3. NEC CDR-74, scsi CD-ROM supported under Linux ?

4. USB hard drive

5. NEC CDR-74 w/ SB-SCSI2 problem

6. Getsockname error

7. SCSI NEC 210 CDROM and workman won't work

8. lilo and OS/2?

9. NEC CDR-250 (not CDR-260!) Success Story

10. Using NEC CDR-400 as 'Source'

11. raw keyboard access doesnt work in 74+ :(

12. 2.5.43 -- arch/i386/kernel/mpparse.c:74: `BAD_APICID' undeclared here

13. Logitech Bmouse stopped working at .74