How to fix segmantation fault and broken pipes?

How to fix segmantation fault and broken pipes?

Post by Augustyn Robe » Sun, 05 Jun 1994 16:21:29

Hi,
I can not use vi and some other programs becouse of
segmantaion fault, and more do not work either.
Thanks in advance.
roberrt

How to fix segmantation fault and broken pipes?

Post by Elaine Walt » Mon, 06 Jun 1994 09:45:44

Quote:>Hi,
>I can not use vi and some other programs becouse of
>segmantaion fault, and more do not work either.
>Thanks in advance.
>roberrt

Sounds very fishy to me.  Until I have more data, all I can suggest is the
following:

     1) you have a corrupted system.  Reinstall.
     2) you have heterogenous libs and bins.  Make sure your bins expect
        the version of runtime-libs that you have installed.
     3) if this occurs will all your standard bins (grep, vi, ed, ls, etc.)
        there may be a wholly different problem.  Get Slackware; works for
        me.

Hope this helps.
-Sean

Post by Tim Spring » Tue, 07 Jun 1994 16:35:22

>>Hi,
>>I can not use vi and some other programs becouse of
>>segmantaion fault, and more do not work either.
>>Thanks in advance.
>>roberrt

>Sounds very fishy to me.  Until I have more data, all I can suggest is the
>following:

>     1) you have a corrupted system.  Reinstall.
>     2) you have heterogenous libs and bins.  Make sure your bins expect
>        the version of runtime-libs that you have installed.
>     3) if this occurs will all your standard bins (grep, vi, ed, ls, etc.)
>        there may be a wholly different problem.  Get Slackware; works for
>        me.

>Hope this helps.
>-Sean

I experience(d) similar problems having segmentation faults after almost
all programs except 'ps'. Someone in one of the Linux news boxes
mentioned that you can 'solve' it if you disable your cache. I have done
that over the weekend and indeed the problems disapeard.  I do not know
why this solves the problems (or causes them) but I do not consider
turning of my cache a reasonable solution. Anyone ?! One thing I have
thought of is that it might be that there is something incorrectly setup
in my CMOS which is causing the problems rather than the cache. Can
anyone comment on that?

Tim
--

tel:    ++15 783831
fax:    ++15 783444

How to fix segmantation fault and broken pipes?

Post by the MOST SIGNIFICANT b » Wed, 08 Jun 1994 05:41:53

Quote:>I can not use vi and some other programs becouse of
>segmantaion fault, and more do not work either.

had someone on my box with the same problems,
altho I hadn't seen it.  Was finally traced
down to a problem with termcap (he was using
vt220, I had vt100 for most things).  My solution
was to replace the vt200/vt220 termcap entry
with a pointer to the vt100 one.  Problem went
away.

but, w/o more info, this is just a wild guess.
--
Maurice S. Barnum               ==    I speak for me, not my employer.