replying by e-mail

Post by Stephen Bens » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 18:40:51

Quote:>Can people stop claiming that they would prefer it if queries were replied by
>e-mail? Clearly they're wrong.
>If someone has a query, then undoubtedly someone else would also like to know
>the answer.
>So can everyone make sure they post all replies as well as e-mailing directly
>to those who have queries. It will help us all.

There are valid reasons for wanting email replies -- but the recipient should
feel obliged to post a summary.

--

1. News replies by e-mail (was: Someone to tell me how to recognize calling terminal)

[good reasons for POSTING replies to news-posts instead of e-mailing snipped]

A while ago, I would have agreed with this. However, after having been
subjected to the amount of spam mail that one gets from being a fairly
active poster to various news groups, I have changed my mind.

There are just too many spammers that you can filter them out automatically,
and sifting through 10-15 spam messages to pick out the one or two *real*
e-mails does get to be annoying. Besides, I pay real money for getting
my e-mail delivered.

So, this week-end I changed my news setup to use the "spamcan" address.

You can still reply to the address - you will just get an automatic reply
telling you how to get through to me. Since spammers usually ignore replies
or use invalid return adresses, I hope it will be a workable solution.

And it actually encourages what we agree on: That replies to news postings
should be *posted*, not e-mailed.

Please note: Followups redirected to comp.os.linux.misc.

--
Henrik Storner                           http://eolicom.olicom.dk/~storner/
"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service, which

2. differences between 9013 and 9005 (plus some impressions)

3. Help: Auto-reply for email

4. script compilers...

5. KNode: reply by email with munged identity?

6. Help with Modem and Graphics Card

7. FAQ needed. Please reply via e-mail.

8. Looking for Colorado Jumbo 120 driver.

9. POP3 AND IDENTD (please reply via e-mail)

10. Trying to reply via email in tin ... ?

11. logging on over the serial port (reply by e-mail)

12. Auto reply to e-mails

13. HELP! SunOS newbie needs help. Please reply via e-mail.