empty /etc/fstab directory

Post by Tsung-lung » Tue, 09 Nov 1993 08:15:16

Hello,

I ran e2fsck to maintain the file system on my Linux  0.99.12 and got the
following messages

# e2fsck /dev/hda1
e2fsck 0.3, 93/04/22 for EXT2 FS 0.3a
/lost+found/43914: bad directory: size < 24
Bad directory entry in `/etc/fstab' at offset 0. Delete entry? no
Skipping to next block
Bad directory entry in `/etc/fstab' at offset 2048. Delete entry? no
Skipping to next block
Bad directory entry in `/etc/fstab' at offset 3072. Delete entry? no
Skipping to next block
Inode 2309 not used, not counted in the bitmap. Connect to lost+found? no
Inode 10246 not used, not counted in the bitmap. Connect to lost+found? no
    [lost of stuff deleted]

Then I tried "e2fsck -af /dev/hda1" to fix it.  It does not really fix the file
system.  It appears that /etc/fstab is a directory on my filesystem.  I
recalled at some point when I read about fstab and I thought it was a FILE.
Was I right?

Then I tried to check /etc/fstab and found that it does not even have
the file ".", the message is given below

# cd etc/fstab
# ls -al
ls: .: No such file or directory

I learned from the man page of fstab that "it is the duty
of the system administrator to properly create and maintain this file."
But I do not grasp enough clues to maintain it.  Could some one tell me how
to fix the problem on my file system or show me where the docs to maintain
the fstab is?

Please e-mail me.
Thanks in advance.

Tsung

1. Need Help: "/usr/lib/setup/setup: cannot create /mnt/etc/fstab: directory nonexistent"

I recently tried to install Slack 7 on my Pentium 100Mhz, 16Mb RAM, 1Gb
HD, and every thing wa going fine until I reached "INSTALL" in the setup
application.

Here are the steps I followed:
1) I created a boot and a root disk (bare.i and color.gz disks) as my
old BIOS cannot boot from CD-ROM.

2) Typed fdisk /dev/hda (Primary IDE Drive, 528 Cyls, Size=1089) and
created 2 partition
(I removed old DOW/Win Partition using DOS Fdisk utility):
  Device    Boot   Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
  /dev/hda1     *    1      496        999904+  83  Linux native
 /dev/hda2        497      528        64512       82  Linux swap

I saved the partition layout, and typed "setup" to start the
installation procedure.

3) KEYBOARD, ADDSWAP, TARGET worked fine.
I formatted SWAP Partition and formatted (slow formats, 1 inode per 4096
bytes) the Target partition /dev/hda1.

4) In the SOURCE section of the setup utility the system found my CD-ROM
drive with Slackware CD inserted. I selected the slackware installation.

5) In the INSTALL section I selected "full" and the system start coping,
but about 10 seconds later it stops with the following messages:
  /mnt/usr: No such file or directory
  /mnt/tmp: No such file or directory
  /usr/lib/setup/setup: cannot create /mnt/etc/fstab: directory
nonexistent

Please help me.
Thank You

2. Umax Pulsar works with LinuxPPC

3. /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab

4. Reelmagic SCSI + CDROM

5. (Q) How can I stop linux over-writing /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab

6. SDS New Disk

7. /etc/vfstab vs /etc/fstab -- reasons?

8. Uncle Sam needs out help now!!!

9. Can't find /etc/mtab or etc/fstab

10. Cannot remove a directory: Directory not empty

11. error: cannot remove <some directory> - directory not empty...

12. How can I use FTP transfer without typing userid,password,filename,local directory name; etc, etc

13. root can not edit /etc/hosts or /etc/profile, can not create directory