Using serial port as console?

Post by Chris Fletch » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 02:48:44

I have a Linux box running without a monitor and connected
to an ethernet. I have configured LILO to talk to a serial
port when it boots. Is it possible to get Linux to treat a
serial port as console and ignore the display?

I know I can put a getty on the serial port when Linux has
booted, but I would like to get the kernel boot messages as
well.

Is anyone doing this at the moment?

Thanks,

Chris.

Post by Chris Fletch » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 17:46:03

> I have a Linux box running without a monitor and connected
> to an ethernet. I have configured LILO to talk to a serial
> port when it boots. Is it possible to get Linux to treat a
> serial port as console and ignore the display?

> I know I can put a getty on the serial port when Linux has
> booted, but I would like to get the kernel boot messages as
> well.

... and had a couple of helpful replies:

Quote:> ln -s /dev/ttyX /dev/console where X is the tty your serial port is using.

Quote:> You can see the kernel messages after boot with the dmesg(1) command.

Thanks, I'll try the former and if it doesn't work I'll try
the later :-)

Chris.

1. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

I'm setting up a serial console on a machine for which the monitor
will go into the repair shop.  I've successfully set up getty to
take logins from the serial port, and I've successfully configured
the kernel to send boot messages to the serial port.  The final step
is setting up lilo.  Lilo works in that the boot prompt appears on
both the system console and on the serial port. However, I cannot
enter commands to the boot prompt from the serialport.  Following
manpage procedure, I transmit a break over the serial line in an
attempt to get lilo's attention.  It doesn't work.  Lilo listens only
to the system keyboard.  What's up?

System details: lilo-0.20-2 rpm from red hat 5.2, kernel 2.2.5,
otherwise a stock rh 5.2 i386 machine. Serial port connection: I'm running
kermit on a laptop.  I send breaks from kermit  as ctrl-\ b as indicated
in kermit man page. Kermit is ckermit-192.

I suppose that the simplest explanation is that I won't be able to get
lilo's attention unless I unplug the keyboard from the
to-be-monitorless system.  Possible?

Thanks,

Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

2. Trantor T130B SCSI

3. Using a serial port as a console

4. Tcl_CloseFile : unexpected file type error

5. Detecting the serial port the console uses

6. status of Adaptec 6360?

7. Using both serial ports, no console

8. dual boot

9. using a serial port for a console

10. Console on serial port using lilo

11. Using serial port as console

12. No boot with serial port console and console terminal off

13. Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?