tape blocking factors

Post by Frank H. Duffy, M. » Tue, 12 Apr 1994 04:09:10

How does one set blocking factors on peripheral tapes like 4mm DATs.
Cant change mine via tar "b" option. It is "stuck" at b=1 and it
should be b=20.  My GNU mt V2.3 does not have a "setblk" option.
Any help out there?

Please mail to duffyfr address below. THanks

Frank

--

& Harvard Medical School                  FAX: (617) 735-7230
300 Longwood Avenue                     voice: (617) 735-7919 / 7846

1. tar tape blocking factor

I have an 8mm tape written on a Sun system using tar. My problem is reading
the tapes. I can read the tape on a Linux(intel) computer using GNU tar with
my 8mm Exabyte Eliant 820 tape drive connected. But only if I set  the
blocking mode to zero( mt -f /dev/rmt0 setblk 0 ). How can I tell what the
blocking factor the tape was written in on the Sun system? The person I am
getting the tapes from doesn't know how to tell.  The command used to create
the tape was "tar cvf /dev/rmt/0c".

I called Exabyte tech support, but they said there tape drives can write
using any blocking factor and that I needed to check with my backup software
vendor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. howto load kernel debug symbol to gdb

3. What is the Density and Blocking Factor of ExaByte Tapes.??

4. RH5.0: can't talk to modem

5. Best tar blocking factor for HP DDS tape drive ?

6. Linux DOSEMU HOWTO (part 1/1)

7. tape backup w/ compression and blocking factor

8. qpopper 4

9. SCO tar error on block size (not block factor)

10. block size vs. blocking factor

11. DAT blocking factor & tapetool

12. DDS3, ufsdump, blocking factor.

13. blocking factor for qic wide?