EXE files..

EXE files..

Post by moo » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 08:37:45



Hi guys,

On my redhat 7.2 box i can type :
"foo.exe"

And it will run automatically,  i mean it will call WINE
transparently.... how can i do that? how can i configure my device to
execute a special extension file by a special program?

Thanx for all of you in advance :),
Yours,

 
 
 

EXE files..

Post by HoboSon » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 12:23:18


I believe it was moon who said...

Quote:> Hi guys,

> On my redhat 7.2 box i can type :
> "foo.exe"

> And it will run automatically,  i mean it will call WINE
> transparently.... how can i do that? how can i configure my device to
> execute a special extension file by a special program?

> Thanx for all of you in advance :),
> Yours,

 Put the program in your PATH, no special extensions necessary.
--
--
Chris van Ophuijsen


 
 
 

EXE files..

Post by moo » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 23:23:50



>  Put the program in your PATH, no special extensions necessary.
> --

Hmmm.... it seems that you did not understand what i want.... i want
to do the following:

Type the following command on the terminal
$Foo.exe
and the Linux will understand that you need wine... another example is
i type:
$hi.txt
and it will run gedit....

This can be done using Registry in Windows but what about Linux.....
Thanx,

 
 
 

EXE files..

Post by HoboSon » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 01:02:49


I believe it was moon who said...


>>  Put the program in your PATH, no special extensions necessary.
>> --

> Hmmm.... it seems that you did not understand what i want.... i want
> to do the following:

> Type the following command on the terminal
> $Foo.exe
> and the Linux will understand that you need wine... another example is
> i type:
> $hi.txt
> and it will run gedit....

> This can be done using Registry in Windows but what about Linux.....
> Thanx,

   Linux/Unix doesnt do things this way. A clever programmer could
 surely come up with a workaround, but I dont know of any generic
 applications to handle that.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------

8:55am  up 70 days, 11:37,  6 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00

 
 
 

EXE files..

Post by Lew Pitch » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 01:23:49



>I believe it was moon who said...

[snip]
>> Hmmm.... it seems that you did not understand what i want.... i want
>> to do the following:

>> Type the following command on the terminal
>> $Foo.exe
>> and the Linux will understand that you need wine... another example is
>> i type:
>> $hi.txt
>> and it will run gedit....

>> This can be done using Registry in Windows but what about Linux.....
>> Thanx,

>   Linux/Unix doesnt do things this way. A clever programmer could
> surely come up with a workaround, but I dont know of any generic
> applications to handle that.

It could be done with a combination of Mime types, /etc/magic, and a new
shell.

IIRC, it's exactly what Gnome and KDE have done.

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

(Opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's.)

 
 
 

EXE files..

Post by James McIninc » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 02:07:57


This is incorrect. Linux DOES permit you to define arbitrary
alternate execution modes (i.e., when you execute an Windows
.EXE file to use WINE to run it). It's really only intended to
be used with something with executable content, of course
(i.e., not a text file).

You will find this feature documented in the kernel source tree;

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/binfmt_misc.txt

Basically, you echo a line into /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
in the form

   :name:type:offset:magic:mask:interpretter:

to register the type of file and the interpretter/loader used to
execute it. Then, any time a user attempts to execute (i.e.,
file has execute permission set for user and the user types it
as a command at the shell prompt), the interpretter/loader is
used to "execute" the file.

This feature is very frequently used with WINE and Java to
make Windows and DOS EXEs and Java applications run like
native applications under Linux.

For example:

echo ':Win32:M::MZ::/usr/local/bin/wine:' >/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register


> I believe it was moon who said...


>>>  Put the program in your PATH, no special extensions necessary.
>>> --

>> Hmmm.... it seems that you did not understand what i want.... i want
>> to do the following:

>> Type the following command on the terminal
>> $Foo.exe
>> and the Linux will understand that you need wine... another example is
>> i type:
>> $hi.txt
>> and it will run gedit....

>> This can be done using Registry in Windows but what about Linux.....
>> Thanx,

>    Linux/Unix doesnt do things this way. A clever programmer could
>  surely come up with a workaround, but I dont know of any generic
>  applications to handle that.

 
 
 

1. Help, cannot download .exe files!

I upgraded to RedHat 5.2. I'm setup to dial into my ISP with PPP.
Modem is Zoom external V.90 connects at 50-51kbps.

I cannot download .exe files. Ftp stalls after 40k to 70k.
Works ok when I gzip the file. Text and binary files download ok.

strace ftp shows where it hangs:
----------------------------------------------------------------
                   < tons deleted >
read(5, "\350\213\337\377\377\203\304\4\205"..., 4096) = 1460
write(4, "\350\213\337\377\377\203\304\4\205"..., 1460) = 1460
read(5, "pen console device\r\n\0\0\0\0R6"..., 4096) = 1460
write(4, "pen console device\r\n\0\0\0\0R6"..., 1460) = 1460
read(5, "\4\0\4\0\4\0\4\0\5\0\5\0\5\0\5\0"..., 4096) = 1460
write(4, "\4\0\4\0\4\0\4\0\5\0\5\0\5\0\5\0"..., 1460) = 1460
read(5,
----------------------------------------------------------------

It appears to be corrupted, but I would appreciate any help
or suggestions on getting this to work.

Thanks in advance
Mario

2. Remote Backups

3. core dump with NFS loaded exe file

4. gpm problem.....

5. Can't get .exe files to simply download (Apache 1.2.4 on Linux)

6. Ipchains script problem

7. Problems downloading .exe files.

8. help with problem connecting to isp with linux

9. TrueType .exe files won't unzip :(

10. shell script -> exe files, how?

11. Can I expand self extracting .EXE files ?

12. Can't FTP *.EXE file - Why??

13. not able to download some .exe files