Multiple Domain Names on One Machine

Post by Ronald Kotinsk » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I want to know if I can have my Linux PC respond to more
than one domain name.  I want to register two or three domains
without having to buy new machines. Does anyone know how to do
this?
            thank you,
                    Ronald Kotinsky

Multiple Domain Names on One Machine

Post by Clifton Shillcut » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Assuming you mean DNS domains...

A host can service any number of domains. Just create files to
hold each domain and then create your named.boot saying your
primary for each domain.

Now the catch is a single IP should be mapped to a single name.
So your site will really be "name.domain.whatever" with an IP of
"a.b.c.d"...now with the miracle of CNAME records you could say
that several machines are your domain...and few programs would be
the wiser.

--
Krilmar                      Star Warrior Guild, INC.
(aka Clif Shillcutt)         A Non-Profit Organization

1. Can I add multiple Domain.Names to one Name server.

We are trying to put up multiple domains on our Linux DNS.
We have the wtech.com & class C to go with it.
Is there a way to add a second or third Domain Name and yet still use
the same IP address?  (We've already registered the names with the
NIC.)

If it can be done what might my name files look like?

Thx in Advance.
=mCm=

2. Wireless 3Com AirConnect Setup in Slackware 8.1

3. how can a machine has both a real domain name and a bogus domain name?

4. Dot Clock timings

5. Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

6. Serial # Problem

7. email to machine with multiple domain names

8. Token Ring Device Driver

9. MMDF: Multiple email domains on one machine

10. Multiple domain pages on one machine

11. Hosting multiple named domains with one IP address?

12. multiple registered domain name, one IP