Linux and DOS on one machine?

Post by William Beckn » Sun, 01 May 1994 00:31:59

>I am interested in install a separate Linux and DOS partition on one
>machine. Is this possible? If so, how? Are there docs available? Thanks.

I'd like to know also.  My boss is ugrading my machine to that I can
'play' with Linux.  Thanks!

Resource Sharing Alliance of West Central Illinois, Inc.
East Peoria (USA)

It worked!  Huh . . . must not be configured right.

Linux and DOS on one machine?

Post by Mark P. Nels » Sun, 01 May 1994 02:03:00

: >I am interested in install a separate Linux and DOS partition on one
: >machine. Is this possible? If so, how? Are there docs available? Thanks.

: I'd like to know also.  My boss is ugrading my machine to that I can
: 'play' with Linux.  Thanks!

Yes, you can do this.  I think almost everybody does this at first, before
realising, "Hey...this is great...I don't _need_ DOS anymore...I need all my
hard disk space for X anyway."  Then you reformat everything!

It is easy to do this.  The Installation-HOWTO document covers it very nicely.

--

See, if we had bought a dog instead, like _I_ wanted,
we could go out like this all the time.

Linux and DOS on one machine?

Post by Al Spar » Sun, 01 May 1994 07:07:12

> I am interested in install a separate Linux and DOS partition on one
> machine. Is this possible? If so, how? Are there docs available? Thanks.

There are HOWTO docs that were posted to this newsgroup 4 days ago.
Also, they are available via FTP.  See the newsitem with the subject
line, "Linux HOWTO Index" for more info.  === Al

Linux and DOS on one machine?

Post by William K. Karw » Sun, 01 May 1994 15:46:14

>I am interested in install a separate Linux and DOS partition on one
>machine. Is this possible? If so, how? Are there docs available? Thanks.

Yes, I have Linux and DOS 5.0 on my machine.

I have DOS on an IDE drive, with LILO installed on that drive.
I have Linux on a SCSI drive.
You could install both on a single drive too.

In the Installation Guide by Matt Welsh, section 3.2, there is
a discussion of partitioning a hard drive for installing linux.
This guide is on sunsite.unc.edu in:

  pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/install-guide/install-guide.2.0.txt

(or something like that -- I won't be held accountable for typos.)

My LILO is configured to prompt me for which OS to boot.

Here's my /etc/lilo.conf:
------------------------------%<------------------------------
boot = /dev/hda
prompt
timeout=600
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
  root = /dev/sda3
  image = /vmlinuz
  label = linux
other = /dev/hda1
  table = /dev/hda
  label = dos
------------------------------%<------------------------------
--

"If you've seen one picture of the Mandelbrot set, you've seen them all!"

Linux and DOS on one machine?

Post by Laurent Chav » Mon, 02 May 1994 03:53:06

Quote:>>I am interested in install a separate Linux and DOS partition on one
>>machine. Is this possible? If so, how? Are there docs available? Thanks.

I have both running, since the begining of time, and have yet to
have any problems.

read lilo, + how to partition.

here is a brief.
  - create your dos partion (ie hda4).
  - do what ever you wich with it. Remember that a dos partition
  can be mounted in Linux but not the reverse, so better big in
  dos. (even so slower, for some apps it is ok).

  - then go to your linux fdisk, and create partitions, make
  sure you do not delete your dos partition.

  - install your linux.

  - install lilo

  here is my lilo.conf
  note that my boot disk is hda

  /************** start *****************/
  boot = /dev/hda
  compact # faster, but won't work on all systems.
  timeout = 1000
  prompt
  vga = ask       # force sane state
  ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting

  #for dos. partion is 4
  other=/dev/hda4
                label=msdos
                table=/dev/hda

  #for linux
  image = /vmlinuz
                label = linux
      root = /dev/hda1

  /********************** end *********/

  as can be noticed I am using the old lilo, but new is same.
  Ie only my conf is old.

        hope it helps.

        also to mount your dos just do mount -t msdos /dev/hda4 /mnt

        any mount point. put that in your fstab, and it will alwways
        be mounted.

Linux and DOS on one machine?

]
] I'd like to know also.  My boss is ugrading my machine to that I can
] 'play' with Linux.  Thanks!

Slackware 1.2 lets you to do this, just follow the instructions
during installation.
--
David Fox                                                       xoF divaD
NYU Media Research Lab                             baL hcraeseR aideM UYN

Linux and DOS on one machine?

Post by Tthor / RAMET Pier » Tue, 03 May 1994 18:19:21

> I am interested in install a separate Linux and DOS partition on one
> machine. Is this possible? If so, how? Are there docs available? Thanks.

        There is no problem !
        you have 2 possibility :

                make two partitions on your hard disk : one formated for DOS, the other formated
                for Linux (primary partition are need).
                You may need an other little partition for the swap.

                You also can install Linux on your formated DOS partition. In that case you need
                Umsdos. This is a good solution if you don't know if you only want to test Linux
                (The Umsdos base only need 8 Mo on your disk)

        You can find all that on sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux .

        You can find some help in the LPD (Linux Project Doc) directory .