Whats the Best Firewall for Linux based on Iptables?

Whats the Best Firewall for Linux based on Iptables?

Post by EL Ci » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:41:21

Whats the Best Firewall for Linux based on Iptables?.  I was using
Pmfirewall under Mandrake 7.1.  I am looking for a similar firewall
product that works as good if not better, but based on IPTABLES.

Post by Chri » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:15:39

> Whats the Best Firewall for Linux based on Iptables?.  I was using
> Pmfirewall under Mandrake 7.1.  I am looking for a similar firewall
> product that works as good if not better, but based on IPTABLES.

Iptables is the interface to netfilter, the packet filter in the 2.4.x
kernels. I guess what you are really asking for is a graphical user
interface to access the iptables commands for you. Iptables is still
pretty new, so there probably aren't many guis for it yet. I would
suggest reading the iptables-HOWTO at http://netfilter.samba.org
and then writing your own ruleset with a text editor.

Whats the Best Firewall for Linux based on Iptables?

Post by EL Ci » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:35:33

Thanks ... Actually I was not looking for a GUI for iptables. I was
looking for a script  similar to pmfirewall ( ipchains ).  It was easy
to install and then you simple edited with vi the entries in your
rules.

http://muse.linuxmafia.org/gshield.html