Mosix and RedHat: anybody done it???

Post by Joel Web » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 06:20:57

I have a problem setting up Mosix with the latest version of the Kernel. I
get errors after I load the latest kernel, mosix and recompiling.
Actually I only get an error when doing "make modules"

Here are my steps:

1. I am running RH 7.1 and  have tried downloading the latest kernel and
putting it in /usr/source/whateverkernelversion directory.

2. Then I recreate the symbolic link to that directory.

3. Then I copy the old kernel-2.4.3.i686.config from the old RedHat RPMed
kernel to the new /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/defconfig

4. I make oldconfig and update whatever

5. make dep ,  make bzImage , make modules

Here is where it gives me an error. Any dibs???

I even tried recompiling with the new kernel w/out Mosix and no luck. Am I
doing something wrong???

Post by Ennio Por » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 04:22:34

> I have a problem setting up Mosix with the latest version of the Kernel. I
> get errors after I load the latest kernel, mosix and recompiling.
> Actually I only get an error when doing "make modules"

> Here are my steps:

> 1. I am running RH 7.1 and  have tried downloading the latest kernel and
> putting it in /usr/source/whateverkernelversion directory.

> 2. Then I recreate the symbolic link to that directory.

> 3. Then I copy the old kernel-2.4.3.i686.config from the old RedHat RPMed
> kernel to the new /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/defconfig

> 4. I make oldconfig and update whatever

> 5. make dep ,  make bzImage , make modules

> Here is where it gives me an error. Any dibs???

> I even tried recompiling with the new kernel w/out Mosix and no luck. Am I
> doing something wrong???

Sometimes a broken module source code can stop the compilation. It
happened to me with a Red Hat rpm! In this case i suggest you to wait
for the new version of the kernel or to try with just one or two minor
versions older. No one is perfect... ;)

Ennio Porro

1. RE masquerading on redhat 6.2(ha anybody has succesfully done masq)

Hi,

    I have a problem with using redhat 6.2 for masquerading. The thing is
i'm a bit afraid of recompiling the kernel.The last time i succesfully did
masquesrading it was on redhat 6.0 and i didn't have to recompile the
kernel. Is there anybody out there who have successfully done masquerading
on redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.14 (zoot). Can you please show me a step-by
step method.

    I tried everything on the masquerading how-to page except for
re-compiling the kernel. So far from my internal network, I can ping the
gateway server, but i can not ping the ISP IP address from the internel
network.

    Please help me....I know this is suppose to be simple but I just can't
figure it out. Thanks in advance.

My rc.local has the following...

#!/bin/sh
#
# rc.firewall - Initial SIMPLE IP Masquerade test for 2.1.x and 2.2.x
kernels using IPCHAINS
/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQ

2. RH5.2 and modem...

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Linux helped the NYSE recover from 9/11

5. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

6. Dell enters sub $1000 PC market

7. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

8. Looking for X-fonts for Cyrillic Windows-1251 encoding

9. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

10. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

11. PARALLEL PORT: Has anybody done this?

12. alloca on RT - anybody done?

13. FDDI <--> Fast Ethernet Linux bridge: anybody done it???