Timely thread! Recovering lost files.

Post by Paul Tombl » Fri, 15 Apr 1994 02:20:01

A few days ago there was a discussion of how to recover lost files.  Today,
one of my co-workers deleted a directory full of important C source.  Thanks
to the advice on that thread, I knew to "strings /dev/hda1" to another
partition, and pick through the trash.  Several hours later, and 4 weeks work
has been recovered.

Thank you, Usenet!

--
Paul Tomblin, Head - Automation Design Group.
Gandalf Canada Limited

1. how do I recover files in lost+found dir ?

Ok, I moved the scripts that were in /lost+found back to
/etc/rc.d/init.d and /etc/ppp after looking at each of their contents.
(I seem to have lost the gpm script, but I should be able to rpm that
back.) I now realize that the broken symlinks were the S*, K*  links
in the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/ directories.  These directories were all gone
except rc6.d. I did mkdir on rc[0-5].d and then made identical links
in those directories from rc5.d.  I know that's not quite right, but
it's a start.

Now my question is: What is a reasonable set of S*, K* links to their
respective /etc/rc.d/init/d scripts for each of these directories? The
links in rc6.d were to kill off everything and shutdown.  I could make
up a starting order, but what's the nominal set of links for each init
level?

TIA.

______________________
Tim Williams

2. SW control of HW Data Compression for DAT Tape Drives

3. recovering lost+found files?

4. bash and .bashrc

5. recovering lost file

6. Berkeley Fast Filesystem

7. Recover files from lost+found

8. Dicitonaries for Crack etc..

9. Recovering lost files

10. Recovering lost file system: how?

11. HELP: recovering lost disk files

12. Recovering /lost /usr partition - The final verdict

13. recover lost disk....