laptop - mutiple network 'docks' ?

Post by Larry Arban » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 00:21:16

What whould my options be for handling a scenario described below?

I have Linux installed on a portable computer with an ethernet card.
The machine is desired to be 'docked' into several different network
subnets (with different IP addreses, of course!).  What are my options
for automatically changing the IP address when the machine is connected/booted?
Is bootp designed for a case like this?

Any info is welcome and encouraged : ).
Thanks

--
R. Larry Arbanas           | voice:          +1 (313) 575-4423
General Motors Corporation | fax:            +1 (313) 575-4395

Post by Russell Nels » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 03:38:47

   What whould my options be for handling a scenario described below?

   I have Linux installed on a portable computer with an ethernet
   card. The machine is desired to be 'docked' into several different
   network subnets (with different IP addreses, of course!).  What
   are my options for automatically changing the IP address when the
   machine is connected/booted?   Is bootp designed for a case like
   this?

Yes, bootp *can* be configured to do this (establish bootp servers on
each subnet, and disable bootp forwarding between subnets), but I
don't think Linux is designed to change IP addresses on the fly, nor
do I think it can be a bootp client.  Of course, you have the source
code, so you can make such changes.

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support.
11 Grant St.      | 315-268-1925 (-9201 FAX)       | Quakers do it in the light
Potsdam, NY 13676 | LPF member - ask me about the harm software patents do.

laptop - mutiple network 'docks' ?

Post by Keith Moo » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 10:35:55

Quote:

> What whould my options be for handling a scenario described below?

> I have Linux installed on a portable computer with an ethernet card.
> The machine is desired to be 'docked' into several different network
> subnets (with different IP addreses, of course!).  What are my options
> for automatically changing the IP address when the machine is
> connected/booted?

I haven't done this on Linux yet (still working on my PCMCIA ethernet
driver...), but I have a setup like this on some Tadpole SPARCbooks.
Basically there's a script called "location" that reads one of several
setup files (one for each pre-configured location) and sets the
various net interfaces (ether and/or ppp), netmask, default router,
domain name server, yp server, and printer server accordingly.

The kernel boots up assuming that it's not connected to anything.  The
user then just types "location foo", where "foo" is where he is: e.g.
"location home", "location campus", etc.  So it's not automatic, but
it's easy enough to do.

Once I get my laptop running with its PCMCIA ethernet card, I'll hack
it to run on Linux.  Until then, you can have the SPARC version if you
want (just send email).

--
Keith Moore / U.Tenn CS Dept / 107 Ayres Hall / Knoxville TN  37996-1301

The Secretary will disavow any knowledge of my actions.

Post by Harvey J. Ste » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 21:14:50

      What whould my options be for handling a scenario described below?

      I have Linux installed on a portable computer with an ethernet
      card. The machine is desired to be 'docked' into several different
      network subnets (with different IP addreses, of course!).  What
      are my options for automatically changing the IP address when the
      machine is connected/booted?   Is bootp designed for a case like
      this?

   Yes, bootp *can* be configured to do this (establish bootp servers on
   each subnet, and disable bootp forwarding between subnets), but I
   don't think Linux is designed to change IP addresses on the fly, nor
   do I think it can be a bootp client.  Of course, you have the source
   code, so you can make such changes.

I was just installing afew new hosts on the ethernet here.  Quite afew
times I had to fix network addresses and restart the networking.  So
what would be the problem with doing the same here?  You could have a
set of network configuration files for each docking station.  Then,
when you dock in a particular station, you could run a shellscript
which would

   a. softlink the configuration files for this station to the standard
      config files, and
   b. kill all the network daemons & then restart them.

I can't see why this wouldn't work, since yesterday I kept editing the
files & restarting the network daemons.  Or, is your emphasis on the
word "automatic".  If so, maybe some combination of the above with
bootp will do it for you.
--
Harvey Stein
Department of Mathematics

Post by Mario Cam » Sat, 08 Jan 1994 06:41:10

:
:    What whould my options be for handling a scenario described below?
:
:    I have Linux installed on a portable computer with an ethernet
:    card. The machine is desired to be 'docked' into several different
:    network subnets (with different IP addreses, of course!).  What
:    are my options for automatically changing the IP address when the
:    machine is connected/booted?   Is bootp designed for a case like
:    this?

Of course, you could always use RARP. That would work only when the
machine is booted. You would have a RARP server on each subnet with the
hardware address of your ethercard and the appropriate IP address. There
was a question here a while ago about RARP for Linux, but I don't
remember where you can snarf it from. Perhaps the person who answered
the post might be kind enough to repost the answer?

Hope this helps,
--
Mario Camou / EDS Mexico Client-Server Integration Team
From Mexico City, the smog capital of the world

Post by Alan C » Sun, 09 Jan 1994 01:06:18

>Yes, bootp *can* be configured to do this (establish bootp servers on
>each subnet, and disable bootp forwarding between subnets), but I
>don't think Linux is designed to change IP addresses on the fly, nor
>do I think it can be a bootp client.  Of course, you have the source
>code, so you can make such changes.

Linux can change IP address happily. Any in progress connections obviously
break. There is a bootp client and tools but I don't know of any ftp
site carrying them.

Alan

Post by David Holla » Sun, 09 Jan 1994 20:41:01

 > >Yes, bootp *can* be configured to do this (establish bootp servers on
 > >each subnet, and disable bootp forwarding between subnets), but I
 > >don't think Linux is designed to change IP addresses on the fly, nor
 > >do I think it can be a bootp client.  Of course, you have the source
 > >code, so you can make such changes.
 >
 > Linux can change IP address happily. Any in progress connections obviously
 > break. There is a bootp client and tools but I don't know of any ftp
 > site carrying them.

Does ANYBODY know where to get this? Please post...

I asked a couple weeks ago and got nothing back but a few messages
asking me to forward whatever I found out.

--
   - David A. Holland             | Nobody ever went broke underestimating

laptop - mutiple network 'docks' ?

Post by arlie love dav » Tue, 11 Jan 1994 04:57:34

Quote:> I was just installing afew new hosts on the ethernet here.  Quite afew
> times I had to fix network addresses and restart the networking.  So
> what would be the problem with doing the same here?  You could have a
> set of network configuration files for each docking station.  Then,
> when you dock in a particular station, you could run a shellscript
> which would
>    a. softlink the configuration files for this station to the standard
>       config files, and
>    b. kill all the network daemons & then restart them.

A note on softlinking files:  When you want to change the contents of
many files at once, using symlinks, and you want to do this very
quickly (perhaps in order to prevent programs from accessing half of
one configuration and half of another), a technique that I use that
works wonderfully is this:

Suppose you want to have /etc/HOSTNAME, /etc/rc.net1, /etc/rc.net2, and
/etc/foobar different for every configuration.  Symlink those four files
like this:

        /etc/HOSTNAME   -> config/HOSTNAME
        /etc/rc.net1    -> config/rc.net1
        /etc/rc.net2    -> config/rc.net2
        /etc/foobar     -> config/foobar

You have a different directory (campus, home, hell) for each configuration,
and these directories are in /etc.  /etc/config is a symlink to either
campus, home, or hell.  Changing the whole configuration just requires
changing the single symlink /etc/config.  Fun, huh?

I used this to manage Xaw libraries (change a symlink for Xaw or Xaw3d),
and for network configuration (distribute the symlinks the same for all
machines, just point the /etc/config to /net/config/whatever).

--
-- Arlie Davis

-- Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.

1. Dell C-800 --Can't 'startx' while Docked

Hi All,

I have a Dell C-800 laptop and a C-Dock II docking station. I recently
upgraded from Redhat 7.1 to Redhat 7.2. During the upgrade I had the
laptop dock in docking station, in the beginning of the install at
"running anaconda please wait" it will freeze up and will not proceed
beyond this point.

 I undocked the laptop and the started the upgrade over and everything
worked fine.

The problem I have now is X will not start while the laptop is docked. I
can boot to Run Level 3 command prompt, and I can use the CD-RW and
Ethernet connection both of which are located in the docking station,
but when I try 'startx' it will lockup up the machine, requiring you to
power off to get out. Same thing happens if I come into Run Level 5.

If the laptop is not docked X works fine.

In the BIOS there are two settings for display, Docked and System, tried
both.

Tried this tip: --Add the following to the Section "Device" entry in
XF86Config-4.

                                      Option
"Display"                "BIOS"
This did not work.

Any ideas of what to look at next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

2. JDK Problem on Mandrake 7.0

3. X works fine in laptop mode, won't load in docked mode.

4. Can LILO disturb DOS/WIN apps ?

5. Dell C-800 laptop --X won't start while docked!

6. semaphores, semctl, smop

7. Redhat 7.1 'eepro100' and 'e100' drivers won't see 10BaseT network

8. squid

9. Is 'PC Network' compatible with 'Ethernet' ??????

10. Docked laptop loses network connection

11. 'all network ports in use' or 'no pty available' solution

12. Opening mutiple Xterm win's on a remote?