SMC Ultra vs. SMC Elite

Post by Jeffrey D. Chu » Mon, 14 Feb 1994 06:19:58

Can anyone tell me the difference between the SMC Ultra and the SMC Elite?
I've heard the Ultra is 'way' faster, but how come it costs $20 less?

(respond by mail, please...)

Jeff Chung

SMC Ultra vs. SMC Elite

Post by R.S.Thom » Tue, 15 Feb 1994 22:32:16

We have both an elite and elite ultra in use in this lab. Doesnt seem to
be too much difference. Though even if there was, the comparison wouldnt be
fair as the ultra is in a 486dx-33 and the elite is in a 386sx-33.

The main difference is that the elite has 16k of shared memory and the ultra
only 8k. However, this is way offset as we only have to use the WD
driver for PCNFS (Under dos, sorry) for the elite whereas we have to
use a whole load of ndis drivers and stuff for the ultra so it way eats
into conventional memory and actually prevents some of our programs from
running.

Anyway, back to being relevant to the newsgroup, I'd guess the drivers
occupy similar sizes of memory in Linux, so you could go for the
ultra. But if you use dos/nfs frequently, seriously consider sticking to the
elite.

Rich

SMC Ultra vs. SMC Elite

Post by Gabe Hel » Wed, 16 Feb 1994 03:25:33

: Can anyone tell me the difference between the SMC Ultra and the SMC Elite?
: I've heard the Ultra is 'way' faster, but how come it costs $20 less?

Q: What's the difference between hardware and software?

A: Hareware keeps getting smaller, faster, and cheaper ...

--

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

SMC Ultra vs. SMC Elite

Post by Donald J. Beck » Wed, 16 Feb 1994 14:13:14

Quote:>Can anyone tell me the difference between the SMC Ultra and the SMC Elite?
>I've heard the Ultra is 'way' faster, but how come it costs $20 less?

It's not *way* faster.  It might be *slightly* faster.

Under MS-DOS the Ultra's *drivers* are almost certainly better than the
typical single-Tx-frame WD8003/WD8013 driver.  Under Linux both drivers use
ping-pong Tx buffers.

The Ultra is cheaper because:
        It uses a new high-integration chip.
        It's almost tradition in the ethercard business to raise the price
        of older products rather than drop them.  Staid customers will pay
        the higher price, and cost- and performance-sensitive customers will
        switch.

--

IDA Supercomputing Research Center
17100 Science Drive, Bowie MD 20715                        301-805-7482

1. ! Bug in SMC driver for SMC TokenCard Elite 8115T !

This is a summary of the bug in the SMC driver version 1.13 (last
version, file SCO113.EXE on the SMC ftp archive) for the token ring
Adapter SMC TokenCard Elite 8115T on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2:

The driver doesn't recognize what interface speed the network
adapter is running.
It is configured by default to run 16 Mbps on STP cable.
If the adapter was configured to run on another media, it won't
work!

Solution:
---------
The parameter that sets the interface speed and the network cable
type is a #define constant in the file /etc/conf/pack.d/smt0/space.c
(smt0 for the 1st adapter in the machine).
For each adapter installed a struct is defined in this file.
The last element in this struct is the constant needed.
It's name by default is MEDIA_STP_16.

If you're ruuning 4 Mbps or use another cable type change the
name of this constant to reflect your needs. For instance,
change it to MEDIA_UTP_4 to run 4Mbps using UTP cable.

This is certainly a bug. The driver should itself recognize,
how the adapter is configured.

SMC Germany was already informed about this bug.

I hope this can help some of you working with this product.

Bye, Victor.

----

Fachhochschule Augsburg    phone:  +49 821 486 30 52   (home)
Germany                    phone:  +49 821 888 001     (work)

2. memory & cache test program

3. SMC Ultra's and SMC's EtherPowerII's TX-port

4. Help needed configurin/using pg-down in standard vi

5. SMC 83c795 (EtherEZ) and SMC Ultra driver

6. KMail and Netscape

7. SMC Elite Ultra

8. Epson stylus 640 and opticpro 9336T ... hard time in Linux ?

9. Need help with a SMC Elite (not ultra, its the 83c690 chipset)

10. SMC Elite 16 Ultra

11. SMC elite 16 ultra problems

12. need driver for SMC Elite 32C Ultra

13. Wanted Driver for SMC Ultra 32C Elite