loopback != loopback.uwc.edu (?)

Post by Richard Stupli » Wed, 09 Mar 1994 09:46:43

Users can't use any 'd' service spawned by inetd because of error I get in
'syslog'.  The error I get is 'loopback != loopback.uwc.edu'.  I have done
MANY things to my /etc/hosts file to try to solve this...  I have added
loopback, loopback.uwc.edu and many other things to the 127.0.0.1 entry and
still get the same error in the log.  I even took out the 'domainname' lines
from /etc/rc/* files and still get the exact same error.  I have looked at the
source files for inetd and ntalkd with 'grep' and can't find any references to
anything relating to these errors.

I can telnet and ftp to other systems at will but can't get talk to work to
save my life.  I have slackware pl15.  Please help...  I am at the point of
looking at the source.  "any" clues would ... ah... you know...

Thanks
Richard Stuplich

loopback != loopback.uwc.edu (?)

Post by ¤p?U » Fri, 11 Mar 1994 00:38:24

[...]

I met it ... my friend solved it by editing host.conf
(cheat not solve)
## host.conf
order  hosts, bind
##     ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
multi on

and edit hosts, change like below

127.0.0.1               localhost       loopback

## my error message in syslog ...
Mar  8 00:29:19 Nirvana in.telnetd[137]: refused connect from 127.0.0.1
Mar  8 01:17:09 Nirvana in.telnetd[190]: host name/name mismatch: loopback != lo
calhost.Dorm9.NCTU.edu.tw

1. problem with ethernet loopback test using loopback plug/stub: receiving socket not seeing packet.

we are writing socket application to send UDP packets out from eth1
and loop it back to
the same interface using loopback stub to verify the hardware without
using external
devices/ports.  The sending and receiving port are the same.

our target machine has eth0 configured as 15.6.xx.xx and  eth1
configured as 16.6.6.6.

the listening socket is listing on all ip.

.

When we looked at the packet in the tx code of the driver, we have
observed that the packet passed down from the ip stack has the same
MAC address for both source and destination.  Also when packet is
returning, its ip source and destination are the same as the
transmitting packet, which is to be expected.

The outgoing packet on eth1 has ip address of 16.6.10.10.

1.      Is this type of loopback possible under linux?
2       Is it better to send raw packet, or should UDP work as well?
3.       is there a similar code that we can leverage?
4.  the returning (incoming) packet is lost after the driver passes it
to the ip stack. The receving socket is not able to retrieve packets
the driver receives.
What could be some of the issues?

Thank you in advance.

2. pppd & pap

3. Loopback! Loopback! @#!@#$@#$%

4. Inetd

5. loopback to hostname

6. Sony Vaio 505TX

7. Multicast on loopback?

8. Kernel Panic?

9. PPP leased line loopback problem, etal

10. fake loopback route

11. :All of your loopback devices are in use.

12. Apache - Netscape - Loopback problem

13. loopback device - documentation?