1.2 break Boca BB2016

Post by Bob Hau » Tue, 14 Mar 1995 09:00:06

I recall some discussion earlier about the Boca multiport serial boards
vs the new kernels.  Was wondering if there was any resolution that I
missed as I don't remember any and now I have the problem.

The board has been working fine for nearly a year with kernel 1.0.8.  I
have obtained 1.2 and it works great except that uugetty can't initialize
the modems any more.  Switching back to 1.0.8 cures the problem.

The modems appear to work with Kermit, but I haven't done enough testing
to be 100% sure of this.  I have tried upgrading uugetty, no joy.  I took
the old getty and it's config file and put them on a machine running 1.2
but with an internal modem.  It worked fine.

Debug output from uugetty shows that it's not getting all of the expect
string and eventually times out.  That might be because the modems aren't
seeing all of the init string though, as the RD/SD lights act very
strangely.  I also tried updating setserial and various permutations in
/etc/defaults/uugetty.  Couldn't make it work reliably.

I have:

AMD 485/40 with AMI BIOS
Boca BB2016 Multiport Serial at 0x100, irq 12.
16 MB RAM
2 IDE drives on VBL controller.
1 SCSI drive on Adaptec 1522.
NE2000 clone ethercard.

libc.so.4.5.24
libm.so.4.5.24

I tried #undef CONFIG_SERIAL_NOPAUSE_IO in serial.c with no luck.   Any
advice appreciated.
--
---
 Bob Hauck                              Wasatch Communcations Group

1.2 break Boca BB2016

Post by John Ackerma » Wed, 15 Mar 1995 17:29:52

>I recall some discussion earlier about the Boca multiport serial boards
>vs the new kernels.  Was wondering if there was any resolution that I
>missed as I don't remember any and now I have the problem.
>The board has been working fine for nearly a year with kernel 1.0.8.  I
>have obtained 1.2 and it works great except that uugetty can't initialize
>the modems any more.  Switching back to 1.0.8 cures the problem.

(sorry for the other contentless reply... blame clumsy fingers and a braindead
newsreader.)

I've found that for the last year or so serial.c needs a minor tweak to make
the Boca board work (I use an 8 port, I assume the 16 port uses the same
setup).

Apart from defining CONFIG_BOCA in serial.c, I found I had to modify the line
that sets up the flags for the boca board to emulate the one used for the AST
four port, so that it would do autoprobe.  With that change, the boca board
has worked fine on all kernels up through 1.1.75 (I haven't experimented with
the newer kernels yet).

John

1.2 break Boca BB2016

Post by b.. » Thu, 16 Mar 1995 04:26:45

>>I recall some discussion earlier about the Boca multiport serial boards
>>vs the new kernels.  Was wondering if there was any resolution that I
>>missed as I don't remember any and now I have the problem.

>I've found that for the last year or so serial.c needs a minor tweak to make
>the Boca board work (I use an 8 port, I assume the 16 port uses the same
>setup).

>Apart from defining CONFIG_BOCA in serial.c, I found I had to modify the line
>that sets up the flags for the boca board to emulate the one used for the AST

Hmmm.  I don't have any "#ifdef CONFIG_BOCA" type of lines in
serial.c.  There must have been a change after 1.1.75.
The idea to emulate the AST is a good one, since I used to have
problems with autoconfig that I solved by hard-configuring the
thing using setserial in rc.serial.

What I finally did is switch to mgetty since other programs
(e.g. kermit) worked fine and it seemed to be just uugetty that
had a problem.  Works great now.

I still don't know why uugetty stopped working though.  Even
using SLIP and PPP works just fine without any changes to
serial.c now that I've dumped uugetty.

Go figure.

---
 Bob Hauck                                 Wasatch Communications Group

1.2 break Boca BB2016

Post by Fraser M Campbe » Thu, 16 Mar 1995 08:51:49

>>Apart from defining CONFIG_BOCA in serial.c, I found I had to modify the line
>>that sets up the flags for the boca board to emulate the one used for the AST
>Hmmm.  I don't have any "#ifdef CONFIG_BOCA" type of lines in
>serial.c.  There must have been a change after 1.1.75.
>The idea to emulate the AST is a good one, since I used to have
>problems with autoconfig that I solved by hard-configuring the
>thing using setserial in rc.serial.

There is a FAQ available on setting up a Boca card.  It is available in the
docs directory of tsx-11 I think.  If you can't find it there you can get it
right from the author at http://amazing.cinenet.net

Even if you've solved your problem you still may find items of interest
there.

1.2 break Boca BB2016

Post by Daniel Panca » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 02:51:24

>>I recall some discussion earlier about the Boca multiport serial boards
>>vs the new kernels.  Was wondering if there was any resolution that I
>>missed as I don't remember any and now I have the problem.
>>The board has been working fine for nearly a year with kernel 1.0.8.  I
>>have obtained 1.2 and it works great except that uugetty can't initialize
>>the modems any more.  Switching back to 1.0.8 cures the problem.
>(sorry for the other contentless reply... blame clumsy fingers and a braindead
>newsreader.)
>I've found that for the last year or so serial.c needs a minor tweak to make
>the Boca board work (I use an 8 port, I assume the 16 port uses the same
>setup).
>Apart from defining CONFIG_BOCA in serial.c, I found I had to modify the line
>that sets up the flags for the boca board to emulate the one used for the AST
>four port, so that it would do autoprobe.  With that change, the boca board
>has worked fine on all kernels up through 1.1.75 (I haven't experimented with
>the newer kernels yet).
>John

I have a problem with linux 1.2.0 locking up completly without any
logging info... Could serial.c cause this?

I have the #define following in my serial.c:
#define BOCA_FLAGS 0

is this correct?

what else is needed for the BOCA2016

Dan
http://www.infocom.net

1. BOCA BB2016 and possible IRQ problems

I've got two 486DX2-66MHz machines here, both running nearly identical
setups.  They both have a Buslogic VLB SCSI controller, Orchid Kelvin VLB
video board, two 3c509 ethernet cards, 32MGs of RAM, and at least one
Boca Board in each.

On one machine (gothic), I've got two Boca Boards working flawlessly.
(I had to modify the kernel to work with two boca boards.)  All 16 ports
come up without a glitch.

On the other (sci-fi), I've only got one Boca installed.  The kernel
boots up fine, notices the serial ports on boot (ttyS16-ttyS31) fine.
But when I try and run anything on the port, it's REALLY S..L..O..W..
It prints 16 characters, waits about ten seconds, prints another 16
characters, waits another ten seconds, prints another 16 characters,
etc etc etc.  It takes about 15 minutes for it to print up a single
gopher menu.  This seems to me to look like an IRQ conflict, but I've
checked to make sure that nothing is doubeling up at all.. (SCSI=11,
BOCA=15, eth0=10, eth1=12, Video=6(?), Floppy=whatever the floppy IRQ
is)

Gothic and sci-fi are running the same kernel.  Infact, almost everything
is the same on both machines except the size of RAM, devices on the
SCSI chain (sci-fi has a Tape and CD-ROM), and the number of Boca Boards.
The only other differences lay in the software setup of the two drives.
So, to eliminate any posibility of hardware problems, I brought gothic's
hard drive to sci-fi and booted up sci-fi's hardware with gothic's
software.  It worked fine.

        This shows me that it's something I have setup SOMEWHERE in
software.

        I'm not running rc.serial on either machine.  The kernel is
the same.  The only difference in software that has ANYTHING to do with
the serial ports is that I'm running gmp on sci-fi and not on gothic.
But when I kill that, it still happens.

        I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and knows
how to fix it?  I've been banging my head against a wall trying to
figure out what the problem is.  Any help would be GREATLY appricated!

--
        Mark Smith
        PolyCat Support

2. caching question

3. Boca BB2016 card for dialup

4. IBM Ether LAN adapter for PS2 and Solaris x86

5. BOCA 16 port BB2016

6. sslllllooowww window scrolling (linuxppc 2000, G4/AGP)

7. WANTED: Boca BB2016 Multiport Serial Card

8. OT, maybe, but cool...

9. Boca BB2016 with 2.2.x kernel?

10. Boca BB2016 on 2.1.7-RELEASE???

11. Boca Research BB2016 16 port serial board

12. ANSWER: BOCA MULTI I/O BB2016

13. boca bb2016 --- 8 lines worked , 14 crashes my system!