WTF GIVES with DCOPserver not starting!!!!! Please help!!!

WTF GIVES with DCOPserver not starting!!!!! Please help!!!

Post by Jac » Thu, 23 May 2002 14:00:24

This is on Mandrake 8.2.  Since I installed KDE 3 I have had this
problem.  I read a couple of postings that suggested deleting
everything in /tmp.  When I try to delete some of these files/dirs, I
get a message saying 'the file does not exist'  I am logged in as root
btw. This was done in konqueror. Now I am sitting here looking at
these files/dirs.  Given they are hidden but they are there.  How can
I get rid of this crap?  Well really I just want to fix this
DCOPserver problem.

Please help!!!!

WTF GIVES with DCOPserver not starting!!!!! Please help!!!

Post by germai » Fri, 24 May 2002 00:32:17

rm -f /root/.DCOP*

I think only the PATH of users is adjusted by the RPMs to reflects
the KDE3 install,
so there are good chances you are starting the wrong apps
(i.e KDE2 ones), which in turn trigger the wrong dcopserver

verify the output of:
echo $PATH
it should begin with /opt/kde3/bin

Anyway, believe me, using KDE as root is the lamest thing you can do ;-)

G.

Post by Jac » Fri, 24 May 2002 03:22:39

> This is on Mandrake 8.2.  Since I installed KDE 3 I have had this
> problem.  I read a couple of postings that suggested deleting
> everything in /tmp.  When I try to delete some of these files/dirs, I
> get a message saying 'the file does not exist'  I am logged in as root
> btw. This was done in konqueror. Now I am sitting here looking at
> these files/dirs.  Given they are hidden but they are there.  How can
> I get rid of this crap?  Well really I just want to fix this
> DCOPserver problem.

> Please help!!!!

A little more info.  This problem shows its ugly head when I try to
start an app as a different user from the one I logged in with.  For
example, first I login as a regular user then change to root in the
shell.  Then I type kedit to start the text editor.  I'll get an error
message.  Sometimes the editor will still go ahead and open without
freezing, however when I click on the 'open' icon to open a file I get
alot of errors in the shell window and kedit just freezes.  If I try
to kill the app with Xkill I get an error related to DCOPserver.  Even
if I switch back to the regular user I still have problems with this
DCOPserver issue.  All of this also occurs the other way around.  I.e.
login as root and switch to a user.  As long as I stick with the
original logged in users and NEVER switch to another user everything
seems ok.  One exception, no matter how I log in I can never get into
my linux box with TightVNC from my WinXP machine.  I get an error
message saying check to be sure the DCOPserver is running.  I have
checked and it does not appear to be running.  I checked this with 'ps
-A' and top, not there.  I believe (I hope) all my problems will go
away if I can figure out why DCOPserver is not starting up.

Please help me!!!!

WTF GIVES with DCOPserver not starting!!!!! Please help!!!

Post by germai » Fri, 24 May 2002 06:00:21

Quote:> This problem shows its ugly head when I try to
> start an app as a different user from the one I logged in with.  For
> example, first I login as a regular user then change to root in the
> shell.  Then I type kedit to start the text editor.

As I said in another message, your $PATH is wrong.

whenever you "su" root, do a:

export PATH=/opt/kde3/bin:$PATH

Bye,

G.

Post by Stewart Jeacock » Fri, 24 May 2002 21:15:40

> This is on Mandrake 8.2.  Since I installed KDE 3 I have had this
> problem.  I read a couple of postings that suggested deleting
> everything in /tmp.  When I try to delete some of these files/dirs, I
> get a message saying 'the file does not exist'  I am logged in as root
> btw. This was done in konqueror. Now I am sitting here looking at
> these files/dirs.  Given they are hidden but they are there.  How can
> I get rid of this crap?  Well really I just want to fix this
> DCOPserver problem.

> Please help!!!!

Try deleting the files from the command line (as root)

# cd /tmp
# rm -rf * .*

WTF GIVES with DCOPserver not starting!!!!! Please help!!!

Post by Walt Shekro » Wed, 29 May 2002 11:06:17

Do you ever see libfam.so.0 anywhere as missing?
This package related to the new IMAP logging support in the kernel.
Just do a find / -iname libfam.so.0
then try ldd to see where its loaded but I doubt you have it.
if not get the source from ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/download
compile it
I was getting the DCOPserver error and did only this to fix the problem.
If you care what libfam is try compiling IMAP support into your kernel
(the way it was intended)
or it will still work via some direct communication with the filesystems.
Hope this helps some of the kde 3.0 problems people are having.
-Walt

> > This is on Mandrake 8.2.  Since I installed KDE 3 I have had this
> > problem.  I read a couple of postings that suggested deleting
> > everything in /tmp.  When I try to delete some of these files/dirs, I
> > get a message saying 'the file does not exist'  I am logged in as root
> > btw. This was done in konqueror. Now I am sitting here looking at
> > these files/dirs.  Given they are hidden but they are there.  How can
> > I get rid of this crap?  Well really I just want to fix this
> > DCOPserver problem.

> > Please help!!!!

> Try deleting the files from the command line (as root)

> # cd /tmp
> # rm -rf * .*

WTF GIVES with DCOPserver not starting!!!!! Please help!!!

Post by Walt Shekro » Wed, 29 May 2002 11:52:01

Sorry did I say IMAP I meant IMON! Brain check owe.

> Do you ever see libfam.so.0 anywhere as missing?
> This package related to the new IMAP logging support in the kernel.
> Just do a find / -iname libfam.so.0
> then try ldd to see where its loaded but I doubt you have it.
> if not get the source from ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/download
> compile it
> I was getting the DCOPserver error and did only this to fix the problem.
> If you care what libfam is try compiling IMAP support into your kernel
> (the way it was intended)
> or it will still work via some direct communication with the filesystems.
> Hope this helps some of the kde 3.0 problems people are having.
> -Walt

> > > This is on Mandrake 8.2.  Since I installed KDE 3 I have had this
> > > problem.  I read a couple of postings that suggested deleting
> > > everything in /tmp.  When I try to delete some of these files/dirs, I
> > > get a message saying 'the file does not exist'  I am logged in as root
> > > btw. This was done in konqueror. Now I am sitting here looking at
> > > these files/dirs.  Given they are hidden but they are there.  How can
> > > I get rid of this crap?  Well really I just want to fix this
> > > DCOPserver problem.

> > > Please help!!!!

> > Try deleting the files from the command line (as root)

> > # cd /tmp
> > # rm -rf * .*

1. dcopserver of KDE not starting with ICE error

Could someone explain why this might be happening?

I had no problems compiling KDE I just get an error while starting
kdeinit. dcopserver (and ksmserver) complaining :

"error in loading shared libraries: dcopserver: undefined symbol :
_IceTransNoListen"

I was guessing that I missed a header...

Please help.

Cheers,

Marzel

2. Xfree86 install problems

3. Help! kde wont start (dcopserver?)

4. two keyboards

5. Please help -- connect with a given timeout not working

6. LICQ giving me grief

7. Giving Up and Starting Over -- suggestions PLEASE

8. Socket library help.

9. FC3 connect with adsl-start does not work, please HELP!

10. solaris can not start, please help

11. please help, apache will not start.

12. Printing input filter does not start !!! Please, help !!!

13. DCOPserver failure when starting KDE2.2 on FreeBSD4.4