KDM\XDM and console log problem

Post by Graham TerMarsc » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> when ever KDM comes up there is a big white box in the lower right hand
> corner with "console log for mysystem.system" in it. After I log in I notice
> that there is a x-Console running witht the same information. What do I need
> to do to get rid of that console from displaying on the KDM screen? and not
> have an X-consol running after I log in?

Sounds like it's actually something related to your /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
file.  This file usually contains the stuff that gets started automatically
when XDM fires itself up.  If you're running KDM then you've probably already
added the '/opt/kde/bin/kdmdesktop' line to that file.  You should also find a
line in there for 'xconsole', which is the console log that pops up on the
window.  If you yank it out of the Xsetup_0 file, it'll never start up and
hang around after you log in.

What's probably happening is that its starting up but not getting killed off
when a user actually logs into the system.  So, just yank it out of Xsetup_0
and it'll never get started (so it won't hang around).

Hope that helps!

--
Graham TerMarsch

// Flee at once, all is discovered.