Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display "ymserver.mydomain.de:1.0"

Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display "ymserver.mydomain.de:1.0"

Post by Henri Schom?cke » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 21:10:36



Hi Folks,

Im running VNC on my server (Redhat 7.0) and I got kde 2.2 and always actual
Ximian-Gnome, but a few weeks ago VNC, running KDE, crashed and all I could
see since then with VNC was a colored desktop-background. - I tried to get
some help on that, but didn`t get some responses.
At that moment, I had no time left to solve this problem, so I just started
gnome instead with VNC.

Yesterday I just wanted to do some little stuff with kdevelop and started it
in VNC-gnome, what alway worked, but now it crashes, saying ...
    Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display "ymserver.mydomain.de:1.0"

Yes, DECOPserver is up and running!

When working directly on the server (display 0) kde still runs fine!

I would be very glad, if someone of you could give me some advice, how to
fix that, I m really stuck.
Many thanks in advance,

    yours Henri

--
|  Henri Schom?cker  -  VIRTUAL HOMES   |
| Datendesign fr Internet und Intranet |

|      http://www.virtual-homes.de      |
--

 
 
 

Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display "ymserver.mydomain.de:1.0"

Post by Lauri Watt » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 01:49:45



> Hi Folks,

> Im running VNC on my server (Redhat 7.0) and I got kde 2.2 and always
> actual Ximian-Gnome, but a few weeks ago VNC, running KDE, crashed and all
> I could see since then with VNC was a colored desktop-background. - I
> tried to get some help on that, but didn`t get some responses.
> At that moment, I had no time left to solve this problem, so I just
> started gnome instead with VNC.

Often we don't answer questions that don't give enough information.  Most
of the people here are just very short of time, and only answer things that
have obvious and easy solutions, or provide enough information to be able
to reproduce it.  For example, are you running VNC from another RedHat
machine? On the same machine? From a Windows computer?  VNC behaves quite
differently depending what you're doing with it.

Quote:> Yesterday I just wanted to do some little stuff with kdevelop and started
> it in VNC-gnome, what alway worked, but now it crashes, saying ...
>     Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display "ymserver.mydomain.de:1.0"

This is quite harmless - it means you don't have enabled the RENDER
extension which Qt uses for Anti Aliasing of fonts.  You can safely ignore
this, it's a warning, rather than an actual error, and doesn't affect
performance in any way, other than the fact you won't have AA'd fonts.

Quote:> Yes, DECOPserver is up and running!

> When working directly on the server (display 0) kde still runs fine!
> I would be very glad, if someone of you could give me some advice, how to
> fix that, I m really stuck.
> Many thanks in advance,

There must be further error messages, the problem is figuring out where
they go.  The most likely place: look in .xsession-errors

You could make sure that there is only one instance of KDevelop running,
(ps axwww |grep kdevelop) and kill any that are dead in the background.  
Some applications don't like to run when there is a dead copy already
running.  I am no expert on KDevelop, and don't really have any more ideas
without some more help from you (more error messages, does KDevelop run on
the local display)

There is a busy forum on KDevelop at http://www.kdevelop.org - you may find
better help there.  

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts

 
 
 

Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display "ymserver.mydomain.de:1.0"

Post by Henri Schom?cke » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:31:18





> > Hi Folks,

> > Im running VNC on my server (Redhat 7.0) and I got kde 2.2 and always
> > actual Ximian-Gnome, but a few weeks ago VNC, running KDE, crashed and
all
> > I could see since then with VNC was a colored desktop-background. - I
> > tried to get some help on that, but didn`t get some responses.
> > At that moment, I had no time left to solve this problem, so I just
> > started gnome instead with VNC.

> Often we don't answer questions that don't give enough information.  Most
> of the people here are just very short of time, and only answer things
that
> have obvious and easy solutions, or provide enough information to be able
> to reproduce it.  For example, are you running VNC from another RedHat
> machine? On the same machine? From a Windows computer?  VNC behaves quite
> differently depending what you're doing with it.

First of all: many thanks for trying to help me!
- But to this part of your answer: I wrote everyting someone would have to
know:
Server: Redhat 7.0 and vncSERVER on it running.
Or did you think I wanted to controll my workstation from a vncclient on the
server? - Does that make sense?
Who cares, what the client is? - The vncSERVER is serving X.

Quote:> > Yesterday I just wanted to do some little stuff with kdevelop and
started
> > it in VNC-gnome, what alway worked, but now it crashes, saying ...
> >     Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display

"ymserver.mydomain.de:1.0"

Quote:

> This is quite harmless - it means you don't have enabled the RENDER
> extension which Qt uses for Anti Aliasing of fonts.  You can safely ignore
> this, it's a warning, rather than an actual error, and doesn't affect
> performance in any way, other than the fact you won't have AA'd fonts.

Many thanks for this, it didn`t really help me with my problem, but it`s
very good to know!

Quote:> > Yes, DECOPserver is up and running!

> > When working directly on the server (display 0) kde still runs fine!

> > I would be very glad, if someone of you could give me some advice, how
to
> > fix that, I m really stuck.
> > Many thanks in advance,

> There must be further error messages, the problem is figuring out where
> they go.  The most likely place: look in .xsession-errors

Thats where I have the errormessage from. No further messages!

Quote:> You could make sure that there is only one instance of KDevelop running,
> (ps axwww |grep kdevelop) and kill any that are dead in the background.
> Some applications don't like to run when there is a dead copy already
> running.  I am no expert on KDevelop, and don't really have any more ideas
> without some more help from you (more error messages, does KDevelop run on
> the local display)

> There is a busy forum on KDevelop at http://www.kdevelop.org - you may
find
> better help there.

> Regards,
> --
> Lauri Watts

Please don`t missunderstand me, I really thank you for trying to help me,
but if you read my posting more careful, it should be clear, that the
problem is not vnc, not kdevelop but kde itself because I wrote that before,
whole kde didn`t work "properly" on display 1.

O.K. however, after reading lots of postings, I just deleted all .kde...
files and dcop - files in the root directory.
This solved the problem and everything is running fine again.
For everybody who has similar problems with kde: First try moving all that
files into a backup-dir and then start KDE again. If it ran properly before,
this should work for you. - If not, just move the files back and try to find
the solution somewhere else.

Again, many thanks,
    yours Henri