Kppp broken after upgrading from KDE 3.0.1 to KDE 3.0.2

Kppp broken after upgrading from KDE 3.0.1 to KDE 3.0.2

Post by Alexander Fil » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 04:33:46

Hi,

I upgraded KDE 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 via SuSE's Yast online update and now I can't
use Kppp. First I received a message that /etc/ppp/peers/kppp doesn't
exist or can't be opened. I created an empty kppp file in the above
directory but still no luck. Obviously something went wrong during the
upgrade. Any idea how to fix this? BTW, I am running SuSE 8.0.

Thanks,
Alex

Kppp broken after upgrading from KDE 3.0.1 to KDE 3.0.2

Post by Brad Sim » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 07:13:27

In Dread Ink the Grave Hand of Alexander Filep Wrote

Quote:> Hi,

> I upgraded KDE 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 via SuSE's Yast online update and now I can't
> use Kppp. First I received a message that /etc/ppp/peers/kppp doesn't
> exist or can't be opened. I created an empty kppp file in the above
> directory but still no luck. Obviously something went wrong during the
> upgrade. Any idea how to fix this? BTW, I am running SuSE 8.0.

When I upgraded from KDE 2.2.2 to 3.0.2 I got a conflict with that same
file IIRC... I fixed it by 'rpm -Uvh --replacefiles kdenetwork$VERSION.rpm'.

HTH, HAND

--
When M$ says "We have new features!" you oughta be thinking of that snake
saying, "Psst, Sweetheart.  Have I got some fruit for YOU!"

Post by Hermann Peif » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:18:39

> First I received a message that /etc/ppp/peers/kppp doesn't
> exist or can't be opened. I created an empty kppp file in the above
> directory but still no luck.

I just made major efforts to find an old kppp file, from pre-kde3.0.2 times.
The one I found has only one line which reads:

plugin /usr/lib/passwordfd.so

Hopefully this will help.

Hermann Peifer

1. kde 2.0.1 broke kppp!

I installed kde 2.0.1 (on RH 6.2 from the RPMS). When I logged on as normal,
kppp (which appears on the menu under a different name) no longer starts. If
I go to the console and type kppp the drive whirs and nothing happens.
Thinking this might be a permission thing, I su-ed to root and tried again,
this fired up the program but told me the modem was locked.

Logging out and logging back on as root doesn't help -- at least the modem
is still locked.

I've tried altering the ownership of kppp and chmod kpp 766, but no joy.

2. addition of buslogic card kills network (why)

3. SuSE 8.1, sax2, yast, KDE, problems (I broke KDE)

4. Setting up firewall

5. Upgrading suse 5.2 with kde 1.0 to kde 1.0

6. FTP and UNIX based C

7. RH7 & KDE 2.1 upgrade, No icons in kde menu

8. dual-monitor patch?

9. Hideous fonts after upgrade to KDE 3 from KDE 2

10. Upgrading KDE while using KDE?

11. Upgrade KDE 2.0 to KDE 2.1.2 on FBSD 4.2R....

12. A question on upgrading to KDE 3.0.1 from KDE 2.2.2 (SuSE 7.3)

13. Upgrade KDE 1.1.pre2 to KDE 1.1.1