kscd

Post by j.. » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am trying to run kscd to listen to a music cd. kscd claims that
there is no /dev/cdrom in my system. Should I create this device
myself? How should I do that?

Thanks,

    John-Luc

PS  KDE 1.0, Debian 2.0

kscd

Post by Douglas K. Erbau » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all,

>I am trying to run kscd to listen to a music cd. kscd claims that
>there is no /dev/cdrom in my system. Should I create this device
>myself? How should I do that?

>Thanks,

>    John-Luc

>PS  KDE 1.0, Debian 2.0

Hi,

Create a link from the actual cdrom device to /dev/cdrom.

example:   ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom.

An easy way to find out your actual cdrom device is to look in
the file /var/log/dmesg for a line similar to:

hdc: CD-ROM 48X/AKU, ATAPI CDROM drive

Hope this helps,

        Doug E.

--
Doug Erbaugh          life, n.:

                         to be you for a while.

kscd

Post by Melchior FRAN » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to run kscd to listen to a music cd. kscd claims that
> there is no /dev/cdrom in my system. Should I create this device
> myself? How should I do that?

There are two things to do (as root!): Make a link named `cdrom' to your
CD-ROM device driver, and get yourself the needed access rights.

The CD-ROM drive will on many systems be the third IDE disk,
the device driver would therefore be called `hdc'.
SCSI drives will be called `hd[a-p]' instead. There are also
some device driver for special drives such as the MITSUMI
called `mcd'.

## Let's say, it's the IDE, No. 3

$ ln -l /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

Giving permission to read:
The CD-ROM howto (have a look at it!) recommends to change
the permissions of the CD-ROM device.

$ chmod 664 /dev/hdc

This, however, is not the cleanest way. It's much better to
let the CD-ROM device belong to a group (let's say `disk' as
it is called in the S.u.S.E. distribution by default) with
read and write permission for that group, and
add yourself to this group.

Melchior FRANZ            http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a8603365
Goldschlagstrasse 45/3/37               voice: +43.1.7897365

kscd

Post by Jens Kristian S?gaa » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to run kscd to listen to a music cd. kscd claims that
> there is no /dev/cdrom in my system. Should I create this device
> myself? How should I do that?

Just make a link from the correct device, to /dev/cdrom.

My cdrom-drive is located as the first scsi disk, that's why I use
this. You should maybe use /dev/hdb, or other appropriate device.

ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

--
Jens Kristian S?gaard,