At a loss with aa and truetype fonts.

Post by Pete Lewi » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:05:23

Hi there.

I'm having real trouble installing truetype and aa fonts in x/kde.

I've read the other posts on this topic, and none of them seem to help, so
I'll explain briefly.

I downloaded x 4.0.3 source, compiled and installed freetype 2, then x
itself.

I then copied my windows .ttf fonts into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/
and added that path to my /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config file.

I made sure /etc/X11/XF86Config has unix/:7100 as the only fontpath.

I then built and installed qt 2.3.0 and kde 2.1.1 from source, making sure
qt had the aa fonts option enabled.

I then fired up xfs, then x and kde.

In the kde control centre, there is a list of fonts, but not my truetype
ones, but they all look the same and I can't change them. KDE has aa fonts
turned on.

I've seen some posts referring to xft but I don't seem to have anything
remotely called xft or xftconfig on my system.

Can anyone help at all?

Is there a guide at all to setting up these fonts as KDE is looking really
ugly.

Thanks!

-Pete.

At a loss with aa and truetype fonts.

Post by Pete Lewi » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:20:55

On Sunday 08 April 2001  7:05 pm, Pete Lewis spouted forth:

Quote:> Hi there.

> I'm having real trouble installing truetype and aa fonts in x/kde.

> I've read the other posts on this topic, and none of them seem to help, so
> I'll explain briefly.

> I downloaded x 4.0.3 source, compiled and installed freetype 2, then x
> itself.

> I then copied my windows .ttf fonts into
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/ and added that path to my
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config file.

> I made sure /etc/X11/XF86Config has unix/:7100 as the only fontpath.

> I then built and installed qt 2.3.0 and kde 2.1.1 from source, making sure
> qt had the aa fonts option enabled.

> I then fired up xfs, then x and kde.

> In the kde control centre, there is a list of fonts, but not my truetype
> ones, but they all look the same and I can't change them. KDE has aa fonts
> turned on.

> I've seen some posts referring to xft but I don't seem to have anything
> remotely called xft or xftconfig on my system.

> Can anyone help at all?

> Is there a guide at all to setting up these fonts as KDE is looking really
> ugly.

> Thanks!

> -Pete.

Ok, if I turn off aa fonts in kde then my type1 fonts turn on. Still my
truetype fonts are completely absent though. If I turn on aa in kde then
although the fonts appear to be there, they do not actually change in kde.
Running xfontsel shows me all the type1 fonts regardless of kde's setting,
but still no truetype fonts. What do I need to do to get x to find them?

-Pete.

At a loss with aa and truetype fonts.

Post by Steve Bradle » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:35:21

Pete,
        You didn't say what distro you were using, and the instructions aren't
necessarily the same for everyone - I can tell you what I did on my RH7
system.  It uses some variation of xfs to serve fonts and chkfontpath to
deal with font paths.  Some of this may help:

1. Downloaded truetype fonts from my old MS CD's to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
2.  'cd' into the above directory and 'ttmkfdir >fonts.dir"
3.  mkfontdir -e /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings
4. chkfontpath --first --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
5.  In /etc/XF86Config-4 file, made sure any and all font paths in
XF86Config were commented out except for  FontPath "unix/:7100"
6. In kcontrol, made sure "Look & Feel / Style" had "Use Anti-Aliasing for
Fonts and Icons" checked.

One thing it looks like you may be missing: you have to run ttmkfdir and
mkfontdir in order to geneate the fonts.dir and encodings files needed.  If
you don't do that, it won't work.

The above instructions work flawlessly on a standard RH7 system.

HTH,
Steve

--
Steve Bradley

At a loss with aa and truetype fonts.

Post by Pete Lewi » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:26:19

Steve,

Thanks.

I'm using what _WAS_ a SuSE 6 distro, although I mainly use it for learning
and playing about so virtually everything is updated from source by myself.
One thing I'd never really bothered with before though was fonts. They all
just "worked". Now with aa and truetype I thought I'd have a go.

As it turned out I wasn't making a fonts.scale file and that encodings line
needed doing too, so thanks.

It all seems to be working fine now, and KDE looks much better, altough
some fonts still aren't working, eg: wingdings and a couple other microsoft
ones, but it's not really a problem.

I also had to get ttmkfdir as it wasn't supplied with SuSE, X or Freetype.

So, thanks again.

-Pete.

On Sunday 08 April 2001 10:35 pm, Steve Bradley spouted forth:

> Pete,
>         You didn't say what distro you were using, and the instructions
>         aren't
> necessarily the same for everyone - I can tell you what I did on my RH7
> system.  It uses some variation of xfs to serve fonts and chkfontpath to
> deal with font paths.  Some of this may help:

> 1. Downloaded truetype fonts from my old MS CD's to
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
> 2.  'cd' into the above directory and 'ttmkfdir >fonts.dir"
> 3.  mkfontdir -e /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings
> 4. chkfontpath --first --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
> 5.  In /etc/XF86Config-4 file, made sure any and all font paths in
> XF86Config were commented out except for  FontPath "unix/:7100"
> 6. In kcontrol, made sure "Look & Feel / Style" had "Use Anti-Aliasing for
> Fonts and Icons" checked.

> One thing it looks like you may be missing: you have to run ttmkfdir and
> mkfontdir in order to geneate the fonts.dir and encodings files needed.
> If you don't do that, it won't work.

> The above instructions work flawlessly on a standard RH7 system.

> HTH,
> Steve

>> Hi there.

>> I'm having real trouble installing truetype and aa fonts in x/kde.

>> I've read the other posts on this topic, and none of them seem to help,
>> so I'll explain briefly.

>> I downloaded x 4.0.3 source, compiled and installed freetype 2, then x
>> itself.

>> I then copied my windows .ttf fonts into
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/ and added that path to my
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config file.

>> I made sure /etc/X11/XF86Config has unix/:7100 as the only fontpath.

>> I then built and installed qt 2.3.0 and kde 2.1.1 from source, making
>> sure qt had the aa fonts option enabled.

>> I then fired up xfs, then x and kde.

>> In the kde control centre, there is a list of fonts, but not my truetype
>> ones, but they all look the same and I can't change them. KDE has aa
>> fonts turned on.

At a loss with aa and truetype fonts.

Post by Tony Arnol » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:40:12

When you compiled XFree86, did you add the following to the
config/cf/host.def file?

# define Freetype2Dir    /usr/local (or /usr - wherever you installed it)

Otherwise you won't get AA...and your TTF support will be rather lame

Tony

Quote:> On Sunday 08 April 2001  7:05 pm, Pete Lewis spouted forth:

> > Hi there.

> > I'm having real trouble installing truetype and aa fonts in x/kde.

> > I've read the other posts on this topic, and none of them seem to help,
so
> > I'll explain briefly.

> > I downloaded x 4.0.3 source, compiled and installed freetype 2, then x
> > itself.

> > I then copied my windows .ttf fonts into
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/ and added that path to my
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config file.

> > I made sure /etc/X11/XF86Config has unix/:7100 as the only fontpath.

> > I then built and installed qt 2.3.0 and kde 2.1.1 from source, making
sure
> > qt had the aa fonts option enabled.

> > I then fired up xfs, then x and kde.

> > In the kde control centre, there is a list of fonts, but not my truetype
> > ones, but they all look the same and I can't change them. KDE has aa
fonts
> > turned on.

> > I've seen some posts referring to xft but I don't seem to have anything
> > remotely called xft or xftconfig on my system.

> > Can anyone help at all?

> > Is there a guide at all to setting up these fonts as KDE is looking
really
> > ugly.

> > Thanks!

> > -Pete.

> Ok, if I turn off aa fonts in kde then my type1 fonts turn on. Still my
> truetype fonts are completely absent though. If I turn on aa in kde then
> although the fonts appear to be there, they do not actually change in kde.
> Running xfontsel shows me all the type1 fonts regardless of kde's setting,
> but still no truetype fonts. What do I need to do to get x to find them?

> -Pete.

1. LILO dies: L AA AA AA AA AA ...

Hi,

 I tried installing RedHat 5.0 Linux on my Pentium Pro
 PC, but ran into a problem on the LILO installation.

 Here's my configuration:

    Pentium Pro 200 MHz processor
    64 megs RAM
    S3/Virge VX 8 meg Video card
    Adaptec SCSI card attached to CD-R drive
    IDE configuration:
         (1) master = 5 gig hard drive (C:, E:, F:)
             slave  = IOmega Zip drive (D:)
         (2) master = CDROM drive
             slave  = 6.4 gig hard drive
    Windows 98 (FAT32 on drives C:, E:, F:)

 I got almost entirely through the installation.
 I installed Linux on the 6.4 gig hard drive (hdd).
 The only problem came up at the end, installing
 the bootloader (in the master boot record).

 The installation program said:

    An error occurred during step "Install bootloader"
    of the install.

 I then selected "Previous" and it tried again,
 producing the same error.

 So the next time I tried "Retry" and it said "Congratulations"
 and said everything was installed.

 The problem, is now when I boot up, instead of getting
 some LILO prompt, I get the following:

    L AA AA AA AA AA etc...

 That is, I see the letter "L", followed by a space and two "A"
 letters.  The double-A's emit at the rate of about one per second.

 Hitting return, control-C, etc. has no effect.  Only
 control-alt-delete allows a reboot.

 Now, I not only can't boot Linux, but I also can't boot
 up Windows 98!

 I did boot off of a Windows 98 boot floppy (and made sure
 that C: was still there, it was, whew!) and tried to "sys c:"
 to remove LILO, but that had no impact.

 So I have some questions/pleas for help:

     (1)  Is there a way to make LILO work here?  Have you
          seen this problem before?

     (2)  Is there a way for me to remove LILO so I can
          boot Windows 98 (off C:)?

     (3)  Do I need to resort to a boot floppy to boot
          Linux?  How would I make one?

 Anxiously awaiting advice...

 John Roberts

 http://www.teleport.com/~johnro

2. Why Apache says 'reason: couldn't spawn child process'?

3. LILO hangs with 'L AA AA AA AA'...

4. Trackballs. Anyone using one?

5. Could not load color 'rgb:aa/aa/aa'

6. Window sizing

7. Is there TrueType fonts or "vector fonts" for linux?

8. Multi boot using System Commander

9. TrueType Font -> PS-Font ?

10. Problems using fonts.alias to replace Type1 fonts with Truetype

11. Tools for converting TrueType or Type 1 fonts to common X font formats