Multiple versions of KDE

Post by Kevin Lacquemen » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 04:07:40

Hello, all

I'm wondering if it's possible to have two versions of KDE on the same
box.  I have KDE 2.0 installed (Mandrake 7.2 RPMS).  I would like to
install KDE 2.1 from source, but still have KDE 2.0 installed.  Is
this possible?  If so, can someone give me some pointers?  Thanks.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of
wisdom                                         -- Gandalf the Grey

Multiple versions of KDE

Post by Kevin Kramme » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 04:59:20

> I'm wondering if it's possible to have two versions of KDE on the same
> box.  I have KDE 2.0 installed (Mandrake 7.2 RPMS).  I would like to
> install KDE 2.1 from source, but still have KDE 2.0 installed.  Is
> this possible?  If so, can someone give me some pointers?  Thanks.

No problem. I have KDE1 and KDE2.1 installed in parallel.
When you compile KDE2.1 use the configure switch --prefix
For example, if you installed KDE2.0 in /opt/kde2 you could use
./configure --prefix=/opt/kde2.1
or any other localtiion different from 2.0 location.

Before starting KDE set KDEDIR to the appropriate directory
#>export KDEDIR=/opt/kde2.1
#>startx

Or create a new user for KDE2.1 and have the export in your shell's rc-file
(for bash this is .bashrc)

Quote:> Cheers,
> Kevin

Hey, this is my text :P

Student at Graz University of Technology
http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/v/voyager

Multiple versions of KDE

Post by Eric Laffoo » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 05:26:12

> Hello, all

> I'm wondering if it's possible to have two versions of KDE on the same
> box.  I have KDE 2.0 installed (Mandrake 7.2 RPMS).  I would like to
> install KDE 2.1 from source, but still have KDE 2.0 installed.  Is
> this possible?  If so, can someone give me some pointers?  Thanks.

> Cheers,
> Kevin

Cakewalk. I have mine set up that way and am running KDE 2.1 cvs.

1) go to KDE.org and find the instructions for running two KDEs.
2) choose your directory for your new KDE (usually /usr/local/kde or
/opt/kde) mine is /opt/kde2 and I compiled QT in /opt/qt2. (actually I
compile qt in whatever directory in /opt it makes and then set the link to
qt2 so if a qt compile chokes I can back out)
3) make and install kdesupport. kdelibs and kdebase. I am not sure if
kdebindings needs to be in there at this time or not. Then you can build
the rest of KDE.

You will end up needing two new files (at least) if you wish to start with
kdm. One is $KDEDIR/bin/kde2 as described in the docs and the other...
instead of being in a file called windowmanagers is now a seperate file in
/etc/X11/windowmanagers.d/[num][name]

I named mine 02KDE21 and renamed the 02 there to avoid conflicts.

Note also that KDE 2.1 cannot back into KDE 2 on some things. In particular
konqueror bookmarks. To enable being able to go back I set $kdehome to
.kde21 (as specified in the howto I referenced) I then opened up both
directories and copied bookmarks, cookies, kmail settings and such.

Two things to note here. ;-)
1) You will now have real KDE stuff. You splash will look cool instead of
comic, your menus will look sane instead of drunken and kcontrol will look
better and make sense. ;-)

2) You will have to recompile for anything you want to run native KDE 2.1
but the install effect cascades... so any program you call not in your new
KDE directory will look next in your old and should run. Pretty cool.

BTW don't forget to set your environment variables whenever you compile
because strangely it still thinks KDE is in /usr in mine even though I set
it.

One more thing... you may want to get gnu gcc 2.95.2.1 as the libstdc++ in
mdk 7.2 is beta and can cause you problems. The newer compiler (yes it is
newer than 2.95.3) has made compiling much less of an adventure for me.
--

A member of the Quanta+ Web development team
http://quanta.sourceforge.net

Multiple versions of KDE

Post by Gregory Davi » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:12:39

> Hello, all

> I'm wondering if it's possible to have two versions of KDE on the same
> box.  I have KDE 2.0 installed (Mandrake 7.2 RPMS).  I would like to
> install KDE 2.1 from source, but still have KDE 2.0 installed.  Is
> this possible?  If so, can someone give me some pointers?  Thanks.

> Cheers,
> Kevin

You will need two versions of QT as KDE1 does not work with the QT 2
branch, and KDE2 does not work with the QT 1 branch.  I know this because I
broke the thing.

Greg