RH7.1 - KDE 2.1.1 questions

Post by Dirk T. Verbee » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:01:49

Hi,
I just installed above mentioned stuff, looks nice!

Q1: In /etc/fstab I added my C: drive (dual booting) as follows: /dev/hda1
/mnt/C:    vfat   auto,owner,  0 0  , this causes a drive icon to appear on
the desktop, how to avoid/prevent the icon?

Q2: I find the font in the file window of the Konquerer File Manager rather
big, I set it to small via Control Center but it's still quite a bit bigger
than the font in the 'tree' window. Control Center's Look & Feel does not
seem to have an effect, other options available?

Q3: I saw the advice to upgrade a few  KDE things (arts, sound and
kdelibs-2.1.2-1) and downloaded the RPM's but I get a few Dependency
problems, is this a known issue or am I missing something or is there a
preferred order to do this?

Thanks for any help,
Dirk

RH7.1 - KDE 2.1.1 questions

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 06:33:38

> Hi,
> I just installed above mentioned stuff, looks nice!

> Q1: In /etc/fstab I added my C: drive (dual booting) as follows: /dev/hda1
> /mnt/C:    vfat   auto,owner,  0 0  , this causes a drive icon to appear on
> the desktop, how to avoid/prevent the icon?

In the Control Center:

    Look & Feel => Desktop: uncheck "Enable Dynamic Desktop Devices"

Quote:> Q2: I find the font in the file window of the Konquerer File Manager rather
> big, I set it to small via Control Center but it's still quite a bit bigger
> than the font in the 'tree' window. Control Center's Look & Feel does not
> seem to have an effect, other options available?

In the Control Center:

    Look & Feel => Fonts: File manager

You can set the exact point size you want.

It appears that there are two ways to setup the file manager.  Is this a bug
or a feature??

Quote:

> Q3: I saw the advice to upgrade a few  KDE things (arts, sound and
> kdelibs-2.1.2-1) and downloaded the RPM's but I get a few Dependency
> problems, is this a known issue or am I missing something or is there a
> preferred order to do this?

First, do you have "kdelibs-devel" & "kdelibs-sound-devel" installed.  If so,
you will either have to upgrade them as well or uninstall them.

Then, Upgrade all 3 or 5 packages at the same time and see if you still have
dependencies.

Use Kpackage, it is easier.

If so, please post the exact error message from the command line RPM.

JRT

RH7.1 - KDE 2.1.1 questions

Post by Dirk T.Verbee » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:33:26

>> Hi,
>> I just installed above mentioned stuff, looks nice!

>> Q1: In /etc/fstab I added my C: drive (dual booting) as follows: /dev/hda1
>> /mnt/C:    vfat   auto,owner,  0 0  , this causes a drive icon to appear on
>> the desktop, how to avoid/prevent the icon?

> In the Control Center:

>     Look & Feel => Desktop: uncheck "Enable Dynamic Desktop Devices"

Hehe!

Quote:

>> Q2: I find the font in the file window of the Konquerer File Manager rather
>> big, I set it to small via Control Center but it's still quite a bit bigger
>> than the font in the 'tree' window. Control Center's Look & Feel does not
>> seem to have an effect, other options available?

> In the Control Center:

>     Look & Feel => Fonts: File manager

> You can set the exact point size you want.

Yes, tried again and when done IN THE RIGHT ORDER it worked.

Quote:

> It appears that there are two ways to setup the file manager.  Is this a bug
> or a feature??

>> Q3: I saw the advice to upgrade a few  KDE things (arts, sound and
>> kdelibs-2.1.2-1) and downloaded the RPM's but I get a few Dependency
>> problems, is this a known issue or am I missing something or is there a
>> preferred order to do this?

> First, do you have "kdelibs-devel" & "kdelibs-sound-devel" installed.  If so,
> you will either have to upgrade them as well or uninstall them.

> Then, Upgrade all 3 or 5 packages at the same time and see if you still have
> dependencies.

> Use Kpackage, it is easier.

When trying to upgrafe kdelibs-devel Kpackage tells me:
Found 0 source and 1 binary packages
Dependency Problem:
kdelibs is needed by kdelibs-devel-2.1.2-1
kdelibs-devel is needed by kdelibs-sound-devel-2.1.1-5
kdelibs-devel is needed by kdelibs-sound-devel-2.1.1-5

Looks like a vicious circle.....

Quote:

> If so, please post the exact error message from the command line RPM.

the rpm -Uvh command gives an identical error

Quote:

> JRT

RH7.1 - KDE 2.1.1 questions

Post by Dirk T.Verbee » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:13:04

<cut>

Quote:

>>> Q3: I saw the advice to upgrade a few  KDE things (arts, sound and
>>> kdelibs-2.1.2-1) and downloaded the RPM's but I get a few Dependency
>>> problems, is this a known issue or am I missing something or is there a
>>> preferred order to do this?

>> First, do you have "kdelibs-devel" & "kdelibs-sound-devel" installed.
>> If so,
>> you will either have to upgrade them as well or uninstall them.

>> Then, Upgrade all 3 or 5 packages at the same time and see if you
>> still have
>> dependencies.

>> Use Kpackage, it is easier.

> When trying to upgrafe kdelibs-devel Kpackage tells me:
> Found 0 source and 1 binary packages
> Dependency Problem:
> kdelibs is needed by kdelibs-devel-2.1.2-1
> kdelibs-devel is needed by kdelibs-sound-devel-2.1.1-5
> kdelibs-devel is needed by kdelibs-sound-devel-2.1.1-5

> Looks like a vicious circle.....

>> If so, please post the exact error message from the command line RPM.

> the rpm -Uvh command gives an identical error

>> JRT

I just upgraded Mozilla from 0.7 to 0.9 using RPM's
and initially got the same messages, then I switched off the 'Check Dependencies' box

in Kpackage and was succesful.

I wonder if it's safe to do in this case...

Dirk

RH7.1 - KDE 2.1.1 questions

Post by Christian Strau » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 20:03:54

> I just upgraded Mozilla from 0.7 to 0.9 using RPM's
> and initially got the same messages, then I switched off the 'Check
> Dependencies' box

> in Kpackage and was succesful.

> I wonder if it's safe to do in this case...

I'd be very careful with unchecking that option (or using the --nodeps
option on the commandline). Most of the times, it seems to work quite
nicely. But once I had a very bad experience when upgrading KDE 2.0.1 to
2.1.1 on my Mandrake 7.2. There were a couple of packages missing that were
not included in the 7.2-distro. I found them in the Cooker (which was the
beta of Mandrake 8.0). Lucky enough, KDE worked after installing the
packages it was depending on. (Still: IMHO it's very stupid to use packages
from the Cooker to build rpms that are supposed to work on a Mandrake 7.2).

Christian

--
-----------------------

RH7.1 - KDE 2.1.1 questions

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:57:40

> When trying to upgrafe kdelibs-devel Kpackage tells me:
> Found 0 source and 1 binary packages
> Dependency Problem:
> kdelibs is needed by kdelibs-devel-2.1.2-1
> kdelibs-devel is needed by kdelibs-sound-devel-2.1.1-5
> kdelibs-devel is needed by kdelibs-sound-devel-2.1.1-5

> Looks like a vicious circle.....

Like I said, if you have the 2 "devel" packages installed, you either need to
upgrade them also, or if you just want to install the 3 packages you can uninstall
the 2 "devel" packages:

    kdelibs-devel-2.1.2-1
    kdelibs-sound-devel-2.1.1-5

Otherwise, install all 5 packages together.  Just check them all in Kpackage and
click the "Install as Marked" button.

It is always this way with a package and its corresponding "devel" package.

Otherwise, you will get a backwards dependency when you try to Upgrade "kdelibs"
and a forward dependency when you try to Upgrade "kdelibs-devel", etc. etc..

With these 5 packages, they are all mutually dependent so they all need to be
Upgraded together.

JRT

RH7.1 - KDE 2.1.1 questions

Post by Dirk T. Verbee » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 05:32:12

Quote:> Like I said, if you have the 2 "devel" packages installed, you either need
> upgrade them also, or if you just want to install the 3 packages you can
uninstall
> the 2 "devel" packages:

>     kdelibs-devel-2.1.2-1
>     kdelibs-sound-devel-2.1.1-5

> Otherwise, install all 5 packages together.  Just check them all in
Kpackage and
> click the "Install as Marked" button.

> It is always this way with a package and its corresponding "devel"
package.

> Otherwise, you will get a backwards dependency when you try to Upgrade
"kdelibs"
> and a forward dependency when you try to Upgrade "kdelibs-devel", etc.
etc..

> With these 5 packages, they are all mutually dependent so they all need to
be
> Upgraded together.

> JRT

Thanks!