Corrupted Mailbox: HELP!

Post by Karl Garriso » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:38:36

I am running KDE 2.1.1 as my primary system, but also have a recent KDE CVS
snapshop installed seperately.  Normally I use the CVS version under a
different user account to avoid messing-up my configuration for the stable
version, but I accidently ran it against my regular user account recently.

While I was running the snapshot, but before i realized it, I launched
Kmail.  Soon, I realized I was running the wrong version, so I exited, and
started my normal 2.1.1 enviroment.  After I launched Kmail in KDE 2.1.1, I
realized that all of my mail messages were now all unreadable!  They all
still seem to be there, but they all show up as unknown sender, no subject,
and no body.

I assume the more recent Kmail converted the mailbox to a newer format.
Does anyone know any details on what was changed so that I can attempt to
fix it myself?

Thanks,

-Karl

Corrupted Mailbox: HELP!

Post by Hendric Stattman » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:01:40

[...]

Quote:> While I was running the snapshot, but before i realized it, I launched
> Kmail.  Soon, I realized I was running the wrong version, so I exited,
> and
> started my normal 2.1.1 enviroment.  After I launched Kmail in KDE
> 2.1.1, I
> realized that all of my mail messages were now all unreadable!  They all
> still seem to be there, but they all show up as unknown sender, no
> subject, and no body.

> I assume the more recent Kmail converted the mailbox to a newer format.
> Does anyone know any details on what was changed so that I can attempt
> to fix it myself?

Hello Karl,
I don't know about changes in the mailbox format in KMail, BUT: If there
are changes, they only affect the *.index files and not your real mail
folders (which contain your messages).
So you might try this: rename your *.index files to *.index.bak and see
what happens. Normally, KMail (any version) should create new index files
based upon your mailbox files contents.

HTH Hendric
--
Hendric Stattmann, Lausanne, Switzerland, Registered Linux User #178879
Visit the official Swiss Shodokan Aikido Homepage (french language) at:

Corrupted Mailbox: HELP!

Post by Karl Garriso » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 07:22:55

> Hello Karl,
> I don't know about changes in the mailbox format in KMail, BUT: If there
> are changes, they only affect the *.index files and not your real mail
> folders (which contain your messages).
> So you might try this: rename your *.index files to *.index.bak and see
> what happens. Normally, KMail (any version) should create new index files
> based upon your mailbox files contents.

That did the trick!  Thanks very much for you advice!

Quote:> HTH Hendric

-Karl

1. Sendmail, large/corrupted mailboxes, & locking of mailboxes

Hi,

We've a user on a Linux server (V4.xx) who had some large emails that
came in recently.  when a pop connection is made to reteive the
messages:

a) Depending on the pop client, it either stalls on sending the
password, or reports no new messages.
b) The maillog file (updated by sendmail?) refers to this user as a
"kiss of death user" instead of a "user" for the pop connections made.
c) there is a zero byte <username>.lock file in /var/spool/mail,
generated on each pop connection.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I've looked through the How-Tos &
man pages with no luck.

TIA, Stu.
Stuart Summerville
Project Engineer
Practel Surveillance Systems

2. Destroy your Disco Dance Machine--->>>Use Linux

3. Corrupted Root Mailbox

4. Bash; assigining strings.

5. mailbox corrupt

6. Printing and bitbuckets

7. Sun Mailtool corrupts mailbox if cc:Mail header is present !

8. Adaptec 1542 jumper settings ?

9. mailbox vs. non-mailbox SCSI controller?

10. Redirecting mail messages from user mailbox to another mailbox

11. help - please urgent help needed to get back the lost or corrupted partition table

12. HELP-Corrupt Filesystem-HELP

13. Newbie needs help on a script to check 3 mailboxes..