1. Sparc-10, NetBSD-1.5.1, FSBE/S, DNES-318350N: no go?
last weekend I bit the bullet and moved the last disk to my new file server.
The server is a Sparc-10/41 with 96 MB RAM, two FSBE/S, one bwtwo, and one
qfe (which I hoped would be recognized by the hme driver since AFAIK it's
simply four hme's on a single card but wasn't). It runs NetBSD-1.5.1.
The disk is an IBM DNES-318350N which has worked flawlessly for about two
years connected to an FSBE/S in a Sparc-2 running OpenBSD-2.3. It has a
single "d" partition spanning the whole disk. It is mounted in a single
unit SCSI box (type 411). It used to share the SCSI bus with a HP C2249.
Now I connected it to an FSBE/S in the Sparc-10. It shares the bus with
an IBM DDRS-39130 and an IBM DORS-32160. And - it doesn't work. Sort of.
Since disklabel recognized OpenBSD's label correctly, I let the the label
alone, and only newfs'ed it. That worked all right. But whenever I try to
actually _use_ it, for example, do fcsk or even copy some files to it, I
get an esp timeout and the disk sort of locks up.
I have changed some cables and the terminator, and since newfs succeeds,
I am inclined to think that it is not a hardware problem.
Has anybody out there seen something like this? If so, is there a fix or
Otherwise I'd have the choice of
a) moving that file system back to the OpenBSD box
(hell I got that Sparc-10 to take over from two Sparc-2 server to
make things easier - can you spell "crossmount hell")
b) try to set up a concatenated fs of 2 x 9 GB
(I'm running out of SCSI ID's and type 411 boxes)
c) try to find another 18 GB 50 pin SCSI disk, maybe a Fujitsu
(nearly impossible - and who knows whether it'll work)
None of these are really appealing...
2. going thru MS proxies server....
3. failed compilation apache & php on Tru64 5.1
4. Installing Slackware with a Creativer Lab CDROM 4x Problem.
5. (Possibly dumb) Q: Move disks from OpenBSD-2.3/sparc to NetBSD-1.5/sparc ?
6. looking for a free tool to prevent password abuse
7. jdk13 compilation fails on 5.1-RELEASE
8. Can't udgrade
9. kdelibs2.1.1 compilation error
10. which CD-ROM's supported by NetBSD-1.0/sparc ?
11. nas-1.2p4 with NetBSD-1.2/sparc
12. Navigator, NetBSD-1.4/sparc
13. Moving disks between NetBSD/sparc and OpenBSD/sparc?