KDE taskbar disappears

Post by Rick shumwa » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:02:16

I'm running KDE 2.2.1 on top of MAndrake Linus 8.1 and have run into the
following behavior.

I've tried adding images as backgrounds to the desktop. Each time I do,
when I end that session and logout, the next time I login, KDE refuses
to show the taskbar. I don't know if it is just failing to load that
last little bit of information at startup, or if, by selecting an image
as background I'm telling the taskbar to hide and I don't know how to
make it re-appear.

The only work-around I've found so far is to 1) remove image as desktop
background, 2)logout, 3) login to another window manager with the startx
  command, 4) logout of that window manager, 5) restart KDE. Then voila!
I have the taskbar back.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

Rick

KDE taskbar disappears

Post by mark » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:35:13

No they don't Rick.  They want to ignore the bug.  Switch to gnome.

> I'm running KDE 2.2.1 on top of MAndrake Linus 8.1 and have run into the
> following behavior.

> I've tried adding images as backgrounds to the desktop. Each time I do,
> when I end that session and logout, the next time I login, KDE refuses
> to show the taskbar. I don't know if it is just failing to load that
> last little bit of information at startup, or if, by selecting an image
> as background I'm telling the taskbar to hide and I don't know how to
> make it re-appear.

> The only work-around I've found so far is to 1) remove image as desktop
> background, 2)logout, 3) login to another window manager with the startx
>  command, 4) logout of that window manager, 5) restart KDE. Then voila!
> I have the taskbar back.

> Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

> Rick

KDE taskbar disappears

Post by ebbin » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 06:02:46

There a couple of "Bugs" on some of the desktops, which have caused me a
couple of problem. If you try the following does your taskbar come back?

Alt-F2

Enter in box:
kstart kicker

I had a similar problem withKDE 2.2.2 (see earlier thread), everytime I
went to click on the taskbar it would disappear! It trial and error to find
which theme\screensaver does not cause an error.

No I don't want Gnome

ebbing

> I'm running KDE 2.2.1 on top of MAndrake Linus 8.1 and have run into the
> following behavior.

> I've tried adding images as backgrounds to the desktop. Each time I do,
> when I end that session and logout, the next time I login, KDE refuses
> to show the taskbar. I don't know if it is just failing to load that
> last little bit of information at startup, or if, by selecting an image
> as background I'm telling the taskbar to hide and I don't know how to
> make it re-appear.

> The only work-around I've found so far is to 1) remove image as desktop
> background, 2)logout, 3) login to another window manager with the startx
>   command, 4) logout of that window manager, 5) restart KDE. Then voila!
> I have the taskbar back.

> Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

> Rick

1. kde taskbar disappeared - solution = cleanup $HOME/.kde/first start

looking up google I found some posts of similar problems and vague
recommendations about settings, however this did not help: too vague.
Let me post the article I would have liked to find...

So this is what I got:

mandrake 7.2, kde, taskbar disappeared. All settings to default
(alt-f2 kcontrol then panels reset to default and taskbar show all) no
way :-(

r-click exit x, then cd $HOME/.kde
there was a strange file there with a name like kde_first_start
(sorry, this is vague too :-), that I deleted rm kde_first_start.

startx to get back to x, and waouh! there it had come back, the task
bar!

pb

2. Cardinal PnP Modem

3. KDE Taskbar disappeared

4. dumpfs on ccd drive crashes system?

5. Can KDE Taskbar act like GNOME taskbar?

6. acpi-polling: mouse goes wild

7. Taskbar randomly disappears in KDE3

8. Newbie needs help with name service

9. KDE2 System Monitor on Taskbar has Disappeared. Help!

10. taskbar disappearing under gnome

11. Configuring the pager and taskbar in KDE.

12. Disable KDE taskbar clock's options

13. kde 3 and taskbar button font