Uprading to KDE 2.2.2

Post by Roberto Maso » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 04:38:57

Please bear with me, I'm a newbie at Linux, though I'm learning rather
quickly. One of my pet peeves is dependencies, and the fact that I don't
know where to go sometimes to find them.

Take the example of KDE 2.2.2. I've downloaded all the files, and ran
GNORPM rather the Kpackages (because there's a bug fixed in 2.2.2). I get
twtwo dependency errors

kdebindingspython-2.2.2-1 requires python2 >= 2
kdepim-pilot requires libisock.so.3

Can someone help, I'd be grateful.

Roberto

Uprading to KDE 2.2.2

Post by Joni Karppine » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 09:32:56

> Please bear with me, I'm a newbie at Linux, though I'm learning rather
> quickly. One of my pet peeves is dependencies, and the fact that I don't
> know where to go sometimes to find them.

If you'd tell which distribution you're using, it would be easier to help.

Quote:> Take the example of KDE 2.2.2. I've downloaded all the files, and ran
> GNORPM rather the Kpackages (because there's a bug fixed in 2.2.2). I get
> twtwo dependency errors

> kdebindingspython-2.2.2-1 requires python2 >= 2
> kdepim-pilot requires libisock.so.3

http://rpmfind.net/ might be useful when trying to find out which packages
you need. If you're using something RPM-based, that is.

--
  Joni

Uprading to KDE 2.2.2

Post by Stephan Binne » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 17:54:43

> kdebindingspython-2.2.2-1 requires python2 >= 2
> kdepim-pilot requires libisock.so.3

Are you sure that you need those two packages?

Bye,
   Steve

Uprading to KDE 2.2.2

Post by Robert Davie » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 23:14:36

>> kdebindingspython-2.2.2-1 requires python2 >= 2
>> kdepim-pilot requires libisock.so.3

> Are you sure that you need those two packages?

I update KDE under another Window manager eg) XFCE or BlackBox or in a
console run level, updating the libraries (eg) audiofile, libogg, libvorbis
etc first with rpm (but leaving qt-2.3.2 out as it causes problems).

Then use 'rpm -F kdebase/*.rpm kdei18n/*i18n*.rpm'.  It's important to
install just one and only one i18n KDE rpm.

Then after you can download / upgrade the application's at your leisure,
the older versions should still work with an upgraded KDE system.

If you rpm(8) by hand, use rpm -U for new installs, and rpm -F for
upgrades.  Too often dependency problems are caused by 'rpm -U *.rpm'
installing absolutely everything that's been downloaded.  Make sure you
update the whole rpm base set together, ie kde base rpm's, and libraries
used, to avoid co-dependency problems.

I am also selective about the rpm's I install, best to have a look round on
USEnet and fine which ones _really_ work for your Distro Release before the
download.

Rob

Uprading to KDE 2.2.2

Post by Lord Dat » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 03:54:36

> Please bear with me, I'm a newbie at Linux, though I'm learning rather
> quickly. One of my pet peeves is dependencies, and the fact that I don't
> know where to go sometimes to find them.

> Take the example of KDE 2.2.2. I've downloaded all the files, and ran
> GNORPM rather the Kpackages (because there's a bug fixed in 2.2.2). I get
> twtwo dependency errors

> kdebindingspython-2.2.2-1 requires python2 >= 2
> kdepim-pilot requires libisock.so.3

> Can someone help, I'd be grateful.

> Roberto

You will need to install Python 2.1.1 if you decide to install
kdebindingspython (You probably won't need it though).

As fore the other one, you'll have to install the Pilot-link package. This
said, if you don't have a Palm, no need to install it either.

Hope this helps.

1. Netgear DG824m firmware uprade - how ?

How do I upgrade the netgear DG824m (wireless adsl router thingy) without
using the web interface. I ask as I have been trying to upgrade the
firmware with most of the linux web browsers and they all seem to upload
almost the entire file and then hang on the last 8 kilobytes or so ?

Does anyone have one of these ? And am I the only one having this problem
?

The instruction manual said there was a way to upgrade the firmware
without the interface, and promised to tell me later, it lied though :(

Yours Hopefully,

Douglas

2. Where can I find IDE patch ??

3. How to uprade server only?

4. Xconf--CLGD5424/TVM Monitor

5. G3 uprade for 8600

6. Linux 0.99pl12 and NET-2

7. Where is kde.debian.net or kde.tdyc.com/pub/kde ?

8. Unix program for thumbnails

9. why does kde sometimes install to /opt/kde, and sometimes to /usr/local/kde?

10. Migrating KDE 2.1.2 -> KDE 2.2

11. Heres how to install KDE 2 on RH7 with KDE 1.x still running.

12. Upgrading suse 5.2 with kde 1.0 to kde 1.0

13. "Autoraise" behavior changed form KDE 1.0 to KDE 1.1