Knode and yEnc

Post by Rob Fishe » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 03:41:45

Given all the fuss about yEnc on USEnet, does anyone know if there are any
immediate plans to make KNode yEnc compatible?

Rob

Knode and yEnc

Post by Mathias Waac » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 05:09:09

> Given all the fuss about yEnc on USEnet, does anyone know if there
> are any immediate plans to make KNode yEnc compatible?

AFAIK: no.

I agree with Marc Mutz who says:

<-------------------------------------------------------------->
I'm totally against adding yEnc support for two reasons:
   - the author is not interested in current standards (Mime) and
     presses a new encoding into the place which should have
     been killed immediately.
   - the author claims to be open to put yEnc on standrads track, but
     actually he is too lazy (sorry, I don't know a more derogatory
     term) to do so.

yEnc is the worst nightmare that is currently on usenet.
<-------------------------------------------------------------->

Mathias

Knode and yEnc

Post by Paul Cook » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 06:38:38

> Given all the fuss about yEnc on USEnet, does anyone know if there are
> any immediate plans to make KNode yEnc compatible?

can KNode handle multi-part binary posts in the first place???

use Pan. Any version >= 0.11.3 supports yEnc transparently for decoding.

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Knode and yEnc

Post by Lauri Watt » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 06:23:37

Knode and yEnc

Post by Rob Fishe » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 19:05:26

Quote:> yEnc is the worst nightmare that is currently on usenet.

Maybe it is, but it's most likely here to stay, and KDE users can't easily
read yEncoded posts.

I like KNode a lot. I find it much clearer, simpler and stable than Pan, but
lately  I've been disappointed by the lack of forward movement, most
notably with mulitpart posts, and now yEnc.

Shame I'm not smart enough to do anything about it. ;-)

Rob

Knode and yEnc

Post by Robert Davie » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 20:54:05

>> yEnc is the worst nightmare that is currently on usenet.

> Maybe it is, but it's most likely here to stay, and KDE users can't easily
> read yEncoded posts.

> lately  I've been disappointed by the lack of forward movement, most
> notably with mulitpart posts, and now yEnc.

Same here.  I agree yEnc implementation sucks, but it's happened because
MIME didn't offer a low overhead 'near' binary encoding, simply Base64.
The cat is out of the bag, and there's too many who have bought in to the
yEnc propoganda, who are not going to be convinced to forgo the ~33%
transmisssion saving.  It's a shame as using UUdeview is not as convenient
as direct support, so more and more will end up using another news reader.

What are the difficulties to support mime/partial?  From what I could see
on the developer site, all the Knode planned work, is UI tweaks and code
re-organisation (that will only indirectly benefit the end user).

Rob

1. Knode Knode

Anyone here familiar with Knode?  I'm having an odd issue with it.  It's
decided to repeat my name in the "from" field.  It did not do this when
first installed, but it's doing it now, and I don't remember changing
anything.  Any idea what the solution might be?

2. inetd closing up?

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. C++ and sending mail

5. Yenc:coded broce

6. isdn compile error - help

7. yEnc for RedHat

8. Autoloading a module during boot process

9. Yenc on K-node

10. yEnc and rar multipart files

11. yEnc or how to totally FUBAR a good idea Windows style

12. unblank v0.001 - "unblank" 478 bytes yEnc

13. News Reader/Poster With yENc Support?