Kmail question (or general email question).

Kmail question (or general email question).

Post by John » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:19:08

Can Kmail (or any other Linux email app) download ONLY the message
headers from the server? I have a wa*k*r that keeps sending me a file
named "sabres" which is over 1.5MB. Now the f****r's email address is a
spoof so I can't bounce it back to him. If only I could see the headers
and delete it at that stage.

PS Is this file a virus / trojan?

Thanks.

John.

--

Please "remove-this" from my email address to reply.

Kmail question (or general email question).

Post by akar th' 'orribl » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:27:58

John gave us the following insights:

Quote:> Can Kmail (or any other Linux email app) download ONLY the message
> headers from the server? I have a wa*k*r that keeps sending me a file
> named "sabres" which is over 1.5MB. Now the f****r's email address is a
> spoof so I can't bounce it back to him. If only I could see the headers
> and delete it at that stage.

> PS Is this file a virus / trojan?

> Thanks.

> John.

Dont know if its a trojan but a *er will assume that you are running
windows (*ers have limited spatial thinking ability) but in kmail (and
most mail apps) you can set a filterthat will bounce it etc and i'm pretty
sure that it only loads the header before filtering unless the conditions
require otherwise though I could be wrong. Alternatively some of the system
mail systems (sendmail etc) could do this job as well as some of the more
configurable console mail apps.

Andrew

--
Regards,
Andrew

Post by Henrik Becke » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:05:23

> Can Kmail (or any other Linux email app) download ONLY the message
> headers from the server?

I think kbiff can, but I am not sure.

Quote:> PS Is this file a virus / trojan?

Sounds like SirCam

--

  Ich bin ein .signature-Virus. Kopiere mich in Deine Signatur,
  damit ich mich verbreiten kann ...

Post by Harmen Schaa » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:25:34

> John gave us the following insights:

>> Can Kmail (or any other Linux email app) download ONLY the message
>> headers from the server? I have a wa*k*r that keeps sending me a file
>> named "sabres" which is over 1.5MB. Now the f****r's email address is a
>> spoof so I can't bounce it back to him. If only I could see the headers
>> and delete it at that stage.
> Dont know if its a trojan but a *er will assume that you are running
> windows (*ers have limited spatial thinking ability) but in kmail (and
> most mail apps) you can set a filterthat will bounce it etc and i'm pretty
> sure that it only loads the header before filtering unless the conditions
> require otherwise though I could be wrong. Alternatively some of the
> system mail systems (sendmail etc) could do this job as well as some of
> the more configurable console mail apps.

I don't think KMail is smart enough only to download the headers first.
AFAIK it just downloads the whole thing.  And yes in this case it's not
very handy. I thought IIRC that there would be an option in KMail that
would prevent mails with a certain size to be left on the server. But I
don't know if they are working on that at the moment.

--
Harmen Schaap

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:42:00

> Can Kmail (or any other Linux email app) download ONLY the message
> headers from the server? I have a wa*k*r that keeps sending me a file
> named "sabres" which is over 1.5MB. Now the f****r's email address is
> a spoof so I can't bounce it back to him. If only I could see the
> headers and delete it at that stage.

Why not do it the Linux way using telnet from the Konsole:
telnet your.pop3.server 110
user [your login]
pass [your password]

Now the list command will list the mails at the server this way:
[Number] [Size]
etc.

If one off the mails matches the size of "sabres" then this command
will show you the header:
top [Number] 0
If you want to see e.g. the first 4 lines then replace 0 by 4

And if its the f****** "sabres" mail then get read of it this way:
dele [Number]

End the telnet session using the quit command.
BTW if you delete the wrong mail then use the rset command before quit,
and if you just close the Konsole before quit then the mail wont be
deleted.

Quote:> PS Is this file a virus / trojan?

Dunno, Ill need to see the whole header.
--
Thomas O.

Post by John » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 05:52:33

> Why not do it the Linux way using telnet from the Konsole: telnet
> your.pop3.server 110
> user [your login]
> pass [your password]

> Now the list command will list the mails at the server this way:
> [Number] [Size]
> etc.

> If one off the mails matches the size of "sabres" then this command will
> show you the header:
> top [Number] 0
> If you want to see e.g. the first 4 lines then replace 0 by 4

> And if its the f****** "sabres" mail then get read of it this way: dele
> [Number]

> End the telnet session using the quit command. BTW if you delete the
> wrong mail then use the rset command before quit, and if you just close
> the Konsole before quit then the mail wont be deleted.

>> PS Is this file a virus / trojan?

> Dunno, Ill need to see the whole header.

Thanks very much for your help / advice guys. I will certainly give the
telnet session a go (cheers Thomas). Only thing is, I don't know *when*
the bollocks is going to send his trash so I would need to keep
telnetting every time I wanted to check my mail :(

I hope, if any of the Kmail developers are reading this thread, they can
implement something to prevent this kind of nonsense.

Thanks.

John.

--

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 05:48:08

> I hope, if any of the Kmail developers are reading this thread, they
> can implement something to prevent this kind of nonsense.

I just came across this application, it seems to do what you want but I
hasn't had the time to test it more than just briefly.

It compiles and runs well under KDE2.2
--
Thomas O.

Post by John » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:35:51

> http://user.sireconnect.de/eggert.ehmke/#kshowmail

Looks great Thomas. Thanks alot. This may save me a lot of
hassle with the "sabres".

Many thanks.

John.

--

Please "remove-this" from my email address to reply.

Kmail question (or general email question).

Post by Emmanuel Berange » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 05:40:15

I had the confirmation from the Kmail maintainer that this feature was not
present yet , but would be (some day) included in a future (?) version ...

You can have part of the feature with kshowmail, and if you are smart with
C, you could do what the whole Linux community is waiting for : propose an
integration of kshowmail in kmail !

Post by John » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:25:07

> It compiles and runs well under KDE2.2

Thomas,

I'm having some problems compiling this. When I do ./configure it tells
me there are difficulties with jpeg support. It can't find libpng,
libjpeg and libjpeg6b. I have now installed these packages but I still
get the same error. Did you have any probs like this? It also suggests
using the devel code (which is also installed) or using the --with-extra
option (which I have tried).

If ./configure is looking for libpng and I have libpng2 installed, how do
I tell it to use this instead?

Any ideas? Or maybe I should put it to the group.

--

Post by ne.. » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:30:02

>> It compiles and runs well under KDE2.2

>Thomas,

>I'm having some problems compiling this. When I do ./configure it tells
>me there are difficulties with jpeg support. It can't find libpng,
>libjpeg and libjpeg6b. I have now installed these packages but I still
>get the same error. Did you have any probs like this? It also suggests
>using the devel code (which is also installed) or using the --with-extra
>option (which I have tried).

>If ./configure is looking for libpng and I have libpng2 installed, how do
>I tell it to use this instead?

>Any ideas? Or maybe I should put it to the group.

Did you delete the config.cache before rerunning
./configure??

--
Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://www.veryComputer.com/)
Frohike: So, Mulder, where's your little partner?

        "The X-Files: *"
  9:29am  up 4 days, 17:54, 11 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.08, 0.06

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 05:26:40

> I'm having some problems compiling this.

Sorry, I compile everything myself and I forgot that this is not the
most common way. But what distribution are you using? Theres rpm's out
for Mandrake and they might work on RedHat too maybee using a little
force:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=kshowmail&submit=S......

Quote:> When I do ./configure it tells me there are difficulties with jpeg
> support. It can't find libpng, libjpeg and libjpeg6b. I have now
> installed these packages but I still get the same error. Did you have
> any probs like this?

No. Just the usual complains about unused parameter and so, nothing
fatal.

Quote:> It also suggests using the devel code (which is also installed) or
> using the --with-extra option (which I have tried).

What devel? You'll probably need the devel packages for libpng,
libjpeg, libjpeg6b, kdelib and qt.

Quote:> If ./configure is looking for libpng and I have libpng2 installed, how
> do I tell it to use this instead?

Dunno. Anyone?
--
Thomas O.

Post by John » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 07:40:29

>> I'm having some problems compiling this.

> Sorry, I compile everything myself and I forgot that this is not the
> most common way. But what distribution are you using? Theres rpm's out
> for Mandrake and they might work on RedHat too maybee using a little
> force:
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=kshowmail&submit=S......

Thanks again Thomas. I didn't realise there was an rpm available. It is
now installed and working fine.

Also, today I received a 1Mb email. I tried your telnet suggestion
thinking it was more spam from sabres-man and it worked great. First time
I actually used telnet. Very handy.

Thanks again.

John.

--

Please "remove-this" from my email address to reply.

1. Mini-Linux Distribution Questions + General Questions + UMSDOS Questions

Basically I have recently installed the Mini-Linux distribution (from
sunsite.unc.edu) on my box  (486 66, 12Mb, Limited HDD space), and it
works and installs fine, runs fine.... Great I thought, lets install
on several other PC's - Install on another 486d266 - won't even start
- LOADLIN doesn't even begin decompressing the kernal......
Then try a 486dx4100, this time it decompresses kernal and starts
linux startup, and comes up with a HDD sector size too big (its a
544Mb drive) and says "Giving up"..... Linux doesn't start at all.
Anyone else got an experience with this (the mini-linux distribution
is 1.0.9 kernal I think)

Next On the PC that mini-linux runs on, X won't start - cannot start
my graphics card (its an Advance Logic card, Vesa compatible).  Anyone
know how to fix this?

I run mini-linux for several reasons, the main one being the lack of
HDD space (I have 20Mb free without mini-linux, 0.5Mb with), howver I
have heard that the latest distributions include UMSDOS, so now onto
the UMSDOS questions:

Which kernal works best with UMSDOS, and will fit in 20Mb, with the
majority of data residing on CD?

Do the latest linux kernals support a SB16 and panasonic double speed
CD?  Also are NEC drives supported (a mate has one of these)

Basically I cannot delete my  DOS partition, as my family cannot use
linux to save their lives, and love MS word, so I need UMSDOS, so both
can happily reside on one partition (I don't want to partition)

Also does UMSDOS have any problem booting off a d: drive (I am
installing another 100Mb drive to try to alleviate the space problem)

Right thats it......
Thanks for your help and I apologize for the bad spelling in some
places (my software don't spell check).

IMPORTANT:  My news feed is knackered, so can replyies be by mail as
well as news please?

Dan (Linux newbie)

2. Any Recommendations for a Dual PPro Motherboard?

3. General email routing question

4. HP 6L and Linux

5. A remote logging question and a general question

6. rc.network ifconfig

7. KMail keyboard shortcut question

8. Xemacs dying when attempting to play sound

9. Questions, questions questions

10. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

11. A couple of Kmail questions

12. Kmail / Sendmail question

13. kde-kmail question