KDE .deb setup

KDE .deb setup

Post by Tom Hawle » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:50:06



Yeah, its one of those guys, with a question that most people here can
answer easily, and so probably don't want to. But in this life you don't ask
you don't get so I may as well try.

If I want to build KDE myself, I can get the tar'd dist, which comes in
packages which are inkeeping with what the install FAQ tells you. If I want
to use debian packages, I have a lot more packages to contend with, there is
no kdesupport, and not all the components of kdesupport are there either,
they're not all on the debian dists etc. So thinking I was clever I tried to
mix and match and install kdesupport myself, since it was basically just
some libs, which naturally failed to even configure. Could someone tell me
the *real* installation instructions for kde for debian or at least where
the missing packages are (libsslsomething for example).

Normally by now i'd have accepted defeat and got the tars, but since I know
already that the first package I want to install won't anyway, I may as well
keep trying this way.

Please help me, i'm not a complete novice, i just got sick of looking at
gnome.

 
 
 

KDE .deb setup

Post by akar 'th 'orribl » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:18:01



> Yeah, its one of those guys, with a question that most people here can
> answer easily, and so probably don't want to. But in this life you don't
> ask you don't get so I may as well try.

> If I want to build KDE myself, I can get the tar'd dist, which comes in
> packages which are inkeeping with what the install FAQ tells you. If I
> want to use debian packages, I have a lot more packages to contend with,
> there is no kdesupport, and not all the components of kdesupport are there
> either, they're not all on the debian dists etc. So thinking I was clever
> I tried to mix and match and install kdesupport myself, since it was
> basically just some libs, which naturally failed to even configure. Could
> someone tell me the *real* installation instructions for kde for debian or
> at least where the missing packages are (libsslsomething for example).

> Normally by now i'd have accepted defeat and got the tars, but since I
> know already that the first package I want to install won't anyway, I may
> as well keep trying this way.

> Please help me, i'm not a complete novice, i just got sick of looking at
> gnome.

libssl is not part of kde but is necessary for encryption in konq and kmail.
It is usually part of your linux distribution or use rpm find to locate it.
you need v0.9.6. If you couldnt even get kdesupport to configure then I
suggest something is wrong with your basic system. the order is
1/ compile qt then kdesupport, then kdelibs then kdebase then any other in
any order.
2/ You must preferably compile qt2.3 or install qt and qt-devel and set
your QTDIR var as well as add qt to your library path before you can do kde.

You say you're not a novice but it sounds suspiciously like you are trying
to mix and match sources and compiled packages. tar.gz are usually source
and debian packages are binaries as far as I know.
Which is why there would prob be more of the packages. For binaries they
usually pak the devel part separately as not everyone needs them so you get
almost twice as many paks and sometimes they mix a pak like the tiny
kdesupport into kdelibs for instance.
--
Andrew

Remove NOSPAM to email


 
 
 

KDE .deb setup

Post by Tom Hawle » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:54:03


Quote:> libssl is not part of kde but is necessary for encryption in konq and

kmail.

yeah, i eventually saw that in the FAQ :)

Quote:> It is usually part of your linux distribution or use rpm find to locate
it.
> you need v0.9.6. If you couldnt even get kdesupport to configure then I
> suggest something is wrong with your basic system. the order is
> 1/ compile qt then kdesupport, then kdelibs then kdebase then any other in
> any order.

yeah, see dumbass that I am I knew that you couldn't compile from source
without the source Qt but managed to forget for about 36 hours. When I
finally realised that this is where the mysterious libz is sourced I had no
problems compiling everything (barring the time it took and the fact that my
device filled up meaning I had to deinstall anything with the word gnome in
it.

Quote:> You say you're not a novice but it sounds suspiciously like you are trying
> to mix and match sources and compiled packages. tar.gz are usually source
> and debian packages are binaries as far as I know.
> Which is why there would prob be more of the packages. For binaries they
> usually pak the devel part separately as not everyone needs them so you
get
> almost twice as many paks and sometimes they mix a pak like the tiny
> kdesupport into kdelibs for instance.

Yeah, I appreciate this. When I was still set on not compiling kde myself I
had the vision that since I found the libs package and the base package, if
I could just compile the support i'd probably be able to install those
packages, since they're not dependant on kdesupport, just some libs within
it. I still think this might have worked, but by that time I resigned myself
to hours of compilation time.

My original issue was that the FAQ tells you essentially to get kdesupport,
kdelibs and kdebase in your distribution format. If you look in the deb
folders, you won't find a kdesupport package, which is very odd, since the
FAQ specifically mentions that you need it for debian.

Thanks for the help.
Tom.