Emailer w/GUI on Linux - Also need a common well defined mail objects format -

Emailer w/GUI on Linux - Also need a common well defined mail objects format -

Post by Andre G » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:29:56

Gentlemen:
    Linux has now twoo sides,
1) A good Linux Clone, great there.
2) A good "desktop" computer with a good graphic user interface.
   KDE2 is excellent in its latest (april 2001) version, and very fast.
   Now about the "emailer" program.
   Well there nothing yet under Linux / KDE is as good as pmail on
windows and MacOS (Pegasus mail, freeware)

   kmail is not stable (my experience) and incomplete. I like the
"smallness".
   magellan, at least the version that I have is unfinished, and is very
slow to load, it looks very promising tough.
   Mahogany: could not get it running.
   Each of theses have a different format for the data (mostly address
books, etc...)
All these projects show a lot of energy in this area.

A common well published format for mail files seems to be missing,
ideally it would be usable under most OSe's available: Linux. Unix,
BEOS, Windows, MACOS.

This would allow to use more than one "emailer" or develop for a data
base target, and then perfect the emailer programs, according to various
tastes, and needs, and then use any emailer with you email data.

Since the goal of Linux, and FSF is not brandname domination, but at
least in my view aims at having the best software gaining acceptance,
this would go in this direction.
Note than the same comment would apply well to other data objects like
wordprocessors data, spreadsheet data etc...
Of course the data format should not collide with copyright, and
patents.
Thanks to Mr Stallman here.

If some of this already exist, please reply with URL, RFC's etc...

Post by Ed Wilt » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:55:09

>    kmail is not stable (my experience) and incomplete.

There were stability problems with early versions of kmail.  I don't
believe that to be the case any more.  I haven't crashed kmail in months (I
was running the Cooker release of kmail which is rather bleading edge).

Quote:> A common well published format for mail files seems to be missing,
> ideally it would be usable under most OSe's available: Linux. Unix,
> BEOS, Windows, MACOS.

> This would allow to use more than one "emailer" or develop for a data
> base target, and then perfect the emailer programs, according to various
> tastes, and needs, and then use any emailer with you email data.

Use IMAP and serve your mail to all your clients.  Your mail will live on
the Linux server, and all your OSs can access your spool.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA

Emailer w/GUI on Linux - Also need a common well defined mail objects format -

Post by Andreas D. Landma » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:22:28

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 01:55:09 GMT, Ed Wilts produced this golden nugget:

>>    kmail is not stable (my experience) and incomplete.

> There were stability problems with early versions of kmail.  I don't
> believe that to be the case any more.  I haven't crashed kmail in months (I
> was running the Cooker release of kmail which is rather bleading edge).

kmail is getting more and more stable, but still lacks all the features
that Eudora(win32+mac) has, in someways even OutlookExpress(*shrug*) is
better than kmail...

*nix lacks a decent graphical emailclient, and no mozilla's emailclient
isn't a decent one, however Lotus Notes is out for Linux, so if you've
got the money to fork out, and you need an okay PIM+email-client
(with some serious non-standard features and buglets) go for it....

otherwise, do like the rest of us, use mutt in a xterm....

Quote:>> This would allow to use more than one "emailer" or develop for a data
>> base target, and then perfect the emailer programs, according to various
>> tastes, and needs, and then use any emailer with you email data.

New problem arises... which filesystem would you use to share the
data between the clients?

Quote:> Use IMAP and serve your mail to all your clients.  Your mail will live on
> the Linux server, and all your OSs can access your spool.

Which is fine if you've got a stable and relatively fast connection,
you don't wanna rely on IMAP over dialup, further most ISPs don't
offer IMAP so you'll have to set up a dedicated box to serve you IMAP
at home...

(and IMAP support in most mailers is a bit scruffy and lacks standardization
and IMAP isn't a rock-solid protocol)

--
Andreas Landmark / noXtension