Installing KDE 2x over 1x

Post by Chris Wilkinso » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:19:23

I have been messing around with installing the new version of KDE.  Both
from source and from RPM.  Using the -force option to bypass dependancies as
was suggested in one of the newsgroups.

KDE2 will start up if I select it from the drop down list but I am having
trouble getting it to be my default desktop.  Am I missing something small,
like one last configuration file...?

I used the -U option to upgrade the KDE package.  Is there a way to install
the new 2 while keeping the old one accessible.

Thank you for any help offered...

Chris

Installing KDE 2x over 1x

Post by Chris Kassopul » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:32:31

> I have been messing around with installing the new version of KDE.  Both
> from source and from RPM.  Using the -force option to bypass dependancies
> as was suggested in one of the newsgroups.

> KDE2 will start up if I select it from the drop down list but I am having
> trouble getting it to be my default desktop.  Am I missing something
> small, like one last configuration file...?

> I used the -U option to upgrade the KDE package.  Is there a way to
> install the new 2 while keeping the old one accessible.

> Thank you for any help offered...

> Chris

The file: /opt/kde/share/config/kdmrc has a line called SessionTypes.
They are the choices that appear in the menu.  The first entry is
preselected.
--

Registered Linux User #199893 _/\_ OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 #15862

1. Sunix ISA I/O Card (2x serial, 1x parallel)

I recently got a new I/O card to provide an additional parallel
printer port, and a couple of extra serial ports. I can get the serial
ports working, but have so far failed with the parallel port. Has
anyone had any experience with this card?

The card comes with both Windows (98 & NT) and Linux installation
instructions! Following these I've set jumpers on the card to select
IRQ and IO port addresses. 'seterial' successfully sets up the serial
ports, so I can now sync my Palm without having to unplug the modem
:-)

However, adding the suggested parameters to the kernel boot line
doesn't give me a working parallel port.... :-(

I boot using loadlin, so the kernel command line looks like this
(split for readablity):

  shell=c:\loadlin\loadlin.exe C:\loadlin\linux2-2.17a root=/dev/hda5
        parport=0x378,none parport=0x3bc,none

If I look in /proc/parport I see:

    cmb.parport > ls
    0/  1/
    cmb.parport > cat */hardware
    base:   0x378                       # This is /dev/lp0, working
    irq:    none
    dma:    none
    modes:  SPP
    base:   0x3bc                       # This is /dev/lp0, not working
    irq:    none
    dma:    none
    modes:  SPP,PS2
    cmb.parport > cat /proc/ioports
    0378-037a : parport0
    03bc-03be : parport1
    cmb.parport >

I get the same output with only the IRQ different if I set the IRQ on
the kernel command line 11, which is how the card is jumpered
(parport=0x3bc,11). And that doesn't work either.

In other words, things look like they should be working!! But when I
try and print to the new parallel port, nothing! ('cat file > /dev/lp0'
works, 'cat file > /dev/lp1' does nothing - no blinking lights,
nothing; same printer.)

Card is a Sunix 4072A, and the installation guide I've got is version
3.20. Kernel is 2.2.17, everything compiled into kernel (no modules),
on a starting point of Redhat 5.2. No other ISA cards; Dell XPS M233s
with 64Mb, couple of PCI cards (Adaptec SCSI, STB graphics card).

I'm not quite sure what to try next... Any thoughts?

--

Cheers

Colin

ps Remove 'REMOVE.' from Reply-To field to reply.

2. Watchdog reset

3. 2x IDE-HD ok+1x Mits.4x CDROM NOT ok!

4. SysV = ??

5. GLX with Mach64 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X possible?

6. script to read mail

7. Newbie question: Apache 1.1x or 1.2x for non-ip virtual host

8. Problems with NE2000-netcard and Linux 2.0.0

9. CDU-8012 CDROM? 1x or 2x?

10. Best AGP 2.0 1x/2x/3x/4x card

11. growisofs works only with 1x (fall back to 1x)

12. KDE 1.1.1x build for Solaris 2.5.1