KDE 2.2.2: control center: Look & Feel: Fonts: fixed width font selector broken ?

KDE 2.2.2: control center: Look & Feel: Fonts: fixed width font selector broken ?

Post by Jim Fisch » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:57:26

KDE 2.2.2 insists on using the script font "Arioso" as the fixed width
font, which is really annoying. Even if I change the fixed width font
setting to some other font, KDE refuses to honor the change. For
example, if I:

a) Open the KDE control center
b) Select the "Look & Feel | Fonts" option
c) Click on the "Choose..." button next to the "Fixed width" font
option
d) Select "Fixed 10 default" and click OK [n.b. "Fixed" is the only
font name available, and "default" is the only character set
available; so "Fixed <size> default" is the only font choice
available]
e) Click on the "Apply" button
f) Select the "Look & Feel | Icons" option
g) Re-select the "Look & Feel | Fonts" option

At this point the "Fixed width" font is once again set to the script
font "Arioso".

So how do I change the fixed width font to something other than
Arioso?  [FWIW, I'm working with a Redhat 7.2 distrobution.] Tia...

Jim

Post by Brian Craf » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:00:28

> KDE 2.2.2 insists on using the script font "Arioso" as the fixed width
> font, which is really annoying. Even if I change the fixed width font
> setting to some other font, KDE refuses to honor the change. For
> example, if I:

> a) Open the KDE control center
> b) Select the "Look & Feel | Fonts" option c) Click on the "Choose..."
> button next to the "Fixed width" font option d) Select "Fixed 10
> default" and click OK [n.b. "Fixed" is the only font name available, and
> "default" is the only character set available; so "Fixed <size> default"
> is the only font choice available] e) Click on the "Apply" button
> f) Select the "Look & Feel | Icons" option g) Re-select the "Look & Feel
> | Fonts" option

> At this point the "Fixed width" font is once again set to the script
> font "Arioso".

> So how do I change the fixed width font to something other than Arioso?
> [FWIW, I'm working with a Redhat 7.2 distrobution.] Tia...

> Jim

Same problem here......

Brian

Post by Rex Diete » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:51:25

> KDE 2.2.2 insists on using the script font "Arioso" as the fixed width
> font, which is really annoying. Even if I change the fixed width font
> setting to some other font, KDE refuses to honor the change. For
> example, if I:

I've seen that sometimes kde doesn't upgrade previous kde configurations
well.  In this case try removing ~/.kde/config/share/kdeglobals
and try setting your fonts again.  In my experience, after removing that
file, the font config will stick when it did not previously.

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics

Post by Michael Nelso » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:20:03

> KDE 2.2.2 insists on using the script font "Arioso" as the fixed width
> font, which is really annoying. Even if I change the fixed width font
> setting to some other font, KDE refuses to honor the change. For
> example, if I:

> a) Open the KDE control center
> b) Select the "Look & Feel | Fonts" option
> c) Click on the "Choose..." button next to the "Fixed width" font
> option
> d) Select "Fixed 10 default" and click OK [n.b. "Fixed" is the only
> font name available, and "default" is the only character set
> available; so "Fixed <size> default" is the only font choice
> available]
> e) Click on the "Apply" button
> f) Select the "Look & Feel | Icons" option
> g) Re-select the "Look & Feel | Fonts" option

> At this point the "Fixed width" font is once again set to the script
> font "Arioso".

> So how do I change the fixed width font to something other than
> Arioso?  [FWIW, I'm working with a Redhat 7.2 distrobution.] Tia...

> Jim

Same problem here.  Same distro (RH 7.2), too.   The only solution I've
found is to disable anit-aliasing for fonts and icons (the check box is on
the Look&Feel|Fonts tab).  I assume there's a problem with my installed
fonts, but I've been unable to find one. Still, I've only been at this
Linux thing for a few months...a lot to learn yet.

Michael

Post by Jason L Tibbitts II » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 05:31:28

MN> Same problem here.  Same distro (RH 7.2), too.  The only solution
MN> I've found is to disable anit-aliasing for fonts and icons (the
MN> check box is on the Look&Feel|Fonts tab).

I use the following in /etc/X11/XftConfig:

#
# Explicitly set mono spacing for some fonts; something gets this wrong
#
match any family == "courier"         edit spacing = mono;
match any family == "andale mono"     edit spacing = mono;
match any family == "lucida console"  edit spacing = mono;
match any family == "lucida sans typewriter"  edit spacing = mono;
match any family == "lucidux mono"    edit spacing = mono;
match any family == "courier new"     edit spacing = mono;

I have the MS webfonts and other goodies installed, though.  Fixed
width fonts work great.

I also delete some other cruft that gets stuck in the XftConfig file
which remaps things like Verdana to something ugly.

 - J<

KDE 2.2.2: control center: Look & Feel: Fonts: fixed width font selector broken ?

Post by Rex Diete » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 00:59:08

Quote:> I use the following in /etc/X11/XftConfig:

> #
> # Explicitly set mono spacing for some fonts; something gets this wrong
> #
> match any family == "courier"         edit spacing = mono;
> match any family == "andale mono"     edit spacing = mono;
> match any family == "lucida console"  edit spacing = mono;
> match any family == "lucida sans typewriter"  edit spacing = mono;
> match any family == "lucidux mono"    edit spacing = mono;
> match any family == "courier new"     edit spacing = mono;

 These are great!  Thanks.

Quote:> I also delete some other cruft that gets stuck in the XftConfig file
> which remaps things like Verdana to something ugly.

FYI, these entries are only used if the REAL Verdana is not found.  At
least, that's the way it works for me.

--

Post by Jim Fisch » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 06:20:20

> > KDE 2.2.2 insists on using the script font "Arioso" as the fixed width
> > font, which is really annoying. Even if I change the fixed width font
> > setting to some other font, KDE refuses to honor the change. For
> > example, if I:

> I've seen that sometimes kde doesn't upgrade previous kde configurations
> well.  In this case try removing ~/.kde/config/share/kdeglobals
> and try setting your fonts again.  In my experience, after removing that
> file, the font config will stick when it did not previously.

Bingo. Thanks Rex!

For you Redhat 7.2 neophytes, here's the steps I took:

1) If you are currently running KDE, logout from your KDE session [K|Logout].
2) Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to display a console window.
3) On the console window, login with your userid and password.
4) At the shell prompt (e.g., '$'), execute the following commands:

  $ cd ~/.kde/config/share/
  $ mkdir old
  $ mv kdeglobals old/
  $ logout

5) Press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to re-display the GUI X-Windows login screen.
6) Login to your KDE desktop as usual.

Jim

Post by Rex Diete » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 06:30:45

>> I've seen that sometimes kde doesn't upgrade previous kde configurations
>> well.  In this case try removing ~/.kde/config/share/kdeglobals
>> and try setting your fonts again.  In my experience, after removing that
>> file, the font config will stick when it did not previously.
> Bingo. Thanks Rex!
> For you Redhat 7.2 neophytes, here's the steps I took:
> 1) If you are currently running KDE, logout from your KDE session

In my experience, you don't even have to logout of kde first, just close
the kde control center, rm or mv the kdeglobals file, rerun control center,
done.  (-: