tasks on taskbar only use 40% of space

Post by stig » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 01:00:16

hi

in kde 3.0.3 run on RH8.0 the application buttons on the taskbar (kicker)
group together using only 40% of the space available.

first is the K-button (menu) and some shorcut buttons, then the area with
where open applications display, and then the clock etc.
the area where open applications are found is used only to 40%, so the rest
of the space is unused while the buttons are all squizeed together.

how can i make the buttons use 100% of the space available?

thanks
stig

tasks on taskbar only use 40% of space

Post by CRH » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 02:28:26

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 18:00:16 +0200, stig Combobulated:

Quote:> hi

> in kde 3.0.3 run on RH8.0 the application buttons on the taskbar (kicker)
> group together using only 40% of the space available.

> first is the K-button (menu) and some shorcut buttons, then the area with
> where open applications display, and then the clock etc.
> the area where open applications are found is used only to 40%, so the rest
> of the space is unused while the buttons are all squizeed together.

> how can i make the buttons use 100% of the space available?

I'm unclear on what you are describing but try right clicking the Kicker >
Preferences and muck around there a while and see if you can solve your
problem.

You can also drag the individual Kicker modules around on the Kicker.

--
Over and Out,
CRH 8^)>

Post by innocent_lam » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 03:20:35

> how can i make the buttons use 100% of the space available?

right-click the icon - "move" - put 'em where you want 'em.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Post by James Richard Tyre » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 05:22:47

> hi

> in kde 3.0.3 run on RH8.0 the application buttons on the taskbar (kicker)
> group together using only 40% of the space available.

> first is the K-button (menu) and some shorcut buttons, then the area with
> where open applications display, and then the clock etc.
> the area where open applications are found is used only to 40%, so the rest
> of the space is unused while the buttons are all squizeed together.

> how can i make the buttons use 100% of the space available?

Is this extra space on the left or the right?

If on the left, then move the taskbar to the left.

--
JRT

Post by stig » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 05:25:18

> hi

> in kde 3.0.3 run on RH8.0 the application buttons on the taskbar (kicker)
> group together using only 40% of the space available.

> first is the K-button (menu) and some shorcut buttons, then the area with
> where open applications display, and then the clock etc.
> the area where open applications are found is used only to 40%, so the
> rest of the space is unused while the buttons are all squizeed together.

> how can i make the buttons use 100% of the space available?

> thanks
> stig

please take a look at:
http://www.abc.se/~m9652/kicker.png

stig

Post by Nick Colema » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:03:50

> please take a look at:
> http://www.abc.se/~m9652/kicker.png

How did you get your windows display to tile like that?  Mine are spread
out in one long row of four.

Nick

Post by stig » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:19:46

>> please take a look at:
>> http://www.abc.se/~m9652/kicker.png

> How did you get your windows display to tile like that?  Mine are spread
> out in one long row of four.

> Nick

try right click on the taskbar
select:
SIZE -> Normal.

stig

Post by Nick Colema » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:24:29

>> Nick

> try right click on the taskbar
> select:
> SIZE -> Normal.

Well, I wonder if that might be your problem.  I have mine set to "tiny"
and there is much more room for the application icons.

Thanks for the tip.

Nick

Post by stig » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:45:01

>>> Nick

>> try right click on the taskbar
>> select:
>> SIZE -> Normal.

> Well, I wonder if that might be your problem.  I have mine set to "tiny"
> and there is much more room for the application icons.

> Thanks for the tip.

> Nick

no that is not my problem, even if i set to tiny and open many applications.
all applicatoin get stuck in the 40%

stig

tasks on taskbar only use 40% of space

Post by Kent H » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:41:26

I had the exact same problem.  You'll need to edit
~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc while not in KDE (use GNOME, or log in as
root).  Make a backup first.  Look for a button that has the 'FreeSpace'
attribute; it should look like this:

[ServiceButton_2]
FreeSpace=0.778626

Delete those lines.  Also, look at the 'Applets' attribute in the
'[General]' section:

[General]
Applets=KMenuButton_1,DesktopButton_1,ServiceButton_6,URLButton_3,ServiceButton_1,ServiceButton_9,URLButton_1,URLButton_2,Ex
eButton_1,ServiceButton_8,ServiceButton_4,Applet_2,ServiceButton_2,Applet_3,Applet_1,Applet_5

Look for the same button ID that you found above (ServiceButton_2 in my
case) and delete it from the 'Applets' attribute.  Log back into KDE, and
the space should be gone.

NOTE:  When I tried reproducing the problem with a test account, the button
section with the 'FreeSpace' attribute didn't show up.  But you can still
make the fix by looking at the 'Applets' attribute in the '[General]'
section and deleting the right value.  From the looks of your PNG
screenshot, you should delete the fifth value from the end.

> hi

> in kde 3.0.3 run on RH8.0 the application buttons on the taskbar (kicker)
> group together using only 40% of the space available.

> first is the K-button (menu) and some shorcut buttons, then the area with
> where open applications display, and then the clock etc.
> the area where open applications are found is used only to 40%, so the
> rest of the space is unused while the buttons are all squizeed together.

> how can i make the buttons use 100% of the space available?

> thanks
> stig

1. Lilo "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

Greetings,

I have set up a Linux From Scratch system on a 1.2Gb Maxtor hard drive. It
works fine on my two Athlon systems, but when I put the drive in my Pentium
100, the system results in "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..." before showing the Lilo
menu.

My Lilo.conf contains the "lba32" entry which should mean this would work,
but it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Jon

2. Good Deja News replacement?

3. LILO saying "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

4. mdacon.o module problem

5. Lilo spits "L 40 40 40 40"...

6. Citizen Projet/Ghostscript Problem

7. Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...

8. A working dhcpsd.cnf file?

9. AMD 386/40 + ULSI 387/40 crashes intermittantly

10. Problem running out of swap space on Multiproc-S10/40

11. Ungroup similar tasks in the taskbar in GNOME?

12. stop taskbar grouping certain tasks?

13. Problem with Storage Plus SCSI using NCR 53C80-40 chip.