KDE menu items lost for root!

Post by S. Stubb » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Running mandrake 7.2 here, all updated with kde 2..
Ok, now whilst working on my problems with the mounting of cdrom,
I made some headway and was in kpackage as root. I was exploring pkgs.
in the kpackage, just looking at some rpm files, you know with the
explanation of them on the right. Well I decided to leave the kpackage
program, so I left, and when I did returning to root's desktop, suddenly
for no reason the menu that pops up from the k start button was missing
most of the kde related icons and menus. I HAD NOT DONE ANYTHING
to cause the menu to be missing half of the menu items.
I was devastated. I did nothingrelated to working with the menu.
So I hurredly logged out of root, did  not save session and logged back
in
as user to see if something had happened to the user menu, but I checked
and it was all there. So then I logged back in as root to see if the
menu
would come back and it has not. Here is all that pops up from the kde
start button using root: listed from bottom(just above K) to top:
logout
lock screen
about kde
panel menu
run
quick browser
recent documents
bookmarks
applications
amu*t
Please help I did nothing to remove all these menu listings but I need
them
back as root,
here are the ones I need back:
home directory
help
control center
terminals
office
networking
multimedia
documentation
configuration

KDE menu items lost for root!

Post by James Richard Tyre » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:56:58

> Running mandrake 7.2 here, all updated with kde 2..
> Ok, now whilst working on my problems with the mounting of cdrom,
> I made some headway and was in kpackage as root. I was exploring pkgs.
> in the kpackage, just looking at some rpm files, you know with the
> explanation of them on the right. Well I decided to leave the kpackage
> program, so I left, and when I did returning to root's desktop, suddenly
> for no reason the menu that pops up from the k start button was missing
> most of the kde related icons and menus. I HAD NOT DONE ANYTHING
> to cause the menu to be missing half of the menu items.
> I was devastated. I did nothingrelated to working with the menu.

The menus appear to work differently in KDE 2.  You might look in:

~/.kde/share/applnk

the menu items are arranged as a tree with directories for the sub menu
headings.  Just copy what you need to:

/root/.kde/share/applnk

and see if it works.

JRT

KDE menu items lost for root!

Post by Tom » Mon, 20 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Running mandrake 7.2 here, all updated with kde 2.. Ok, now whilst
> and when I did returning to root's desktop, suddenly for no reason the
> menu that pops up from the k start button was missing most of the kde
> related icons and menus. I HAD NOT DONE ANYTHING to cause the menu to
> be missing half of the menu items.

    su to root in a term and type 'update-menus'   It's also a good
idea to keep a bakup copy of .../.kde/share/applink/

    Tom

KDE menu items lost for root!

Post by James Richard Tyre » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

>     su to root in a term and type 'update-menus'   It's also a good
> idea to keep a bakup copy of .../.kde/share/applink/

I don't seem to have that command on my system.

JRT

  tyrerj.vcf
< 1K Download

1. Removing OpenOffice item from KDE menu?

Hi there,

I've recently installed OpenOffice 1.0.2, on my RH 8.0 system.  Then I
deleted all OpenOffice 1.0 directories.  The trouble is, I now have two
OpenOffice items in my KDE menu, only one of which works (as the other
points to files which no longer exist.)

How do I remove this menu item?

cheers,
Alasdair

--
For personal replies, remove "not" from email address.

2. I forgot my swap-partition, any solution?

3. Missing menu items, toolbar buttons in KDE 2.2

4. Where Freeware / GNUware for solaris?

5. KDE 3.0.4: deactivating recent items in start menu

6. Diamond Viper V330

7. Changing menu items in kde 3.X.X

8. Linux-2.5.24

9. KDE RC2 & menu items 4 time over??

10. Removing recently-used items from KDE menu

11. removing items from KDE QuickStart menu?

12. KDE menu items no longer wrap

13. Deleting KDE menu item