Autostart and session management

Post by Steve Molito » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have a problem.  I start some programs by putting them in the
autostart folder.  The problem is, I don't want to have to remember to
shut these programs down when I logout.  But if I don't exit the
programs, the wonderful session management feature restarts a copy of
the programs when I log back in, but the items in the Autostart folder
also get started.  So I get two copies of everything running.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Molitor

Autostart and session management

Post by Nikita V. Youshchenk » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Steve Molitor ?D:

Quote:>I have a problem.  I start some programs by putting them in the
>autostart folder.  The problem is, I don't want to have to remember to
>shut these programs down when I logout.  But if I don't exit the
>programs, the wonderful session management feature restarts a copy of
>the programs when I log back in, but the items in the Autostart folder
>also get started.  So I get two copies of everything running.

Try playing with session managment settings in Settings->Windows->Advanced

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrma » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I have a problem.  I start some programs by putting them in the
>autostart folder.  The problem is, I don't want to have to remember to
>shut these programs down when I logout.  But if I don't exit the
>programs, the wonderful session management feature restarts a copy of
>the programs when I log back in, but the items in the Autostart folder
>also get started.  So I get two copies of everything running.

Autostart is for "legacy" applications, that don't support session management.
Just trust session management to present the desktop as it was when you left it.
:-)
IOW: Just start your apps. KDE will restart them. No Autostart necessary.

--

Why do you pay BIG BUCKS for "micro" software with BIG BUGS?

1. Restricted X session and autostart of programs...

Hi,

I have a requirement to have a very limited X session
which automatically starts a program on another machine.

The program on the other machine can be started by logging
into to it and type 'ncostart ipaddress:0' The program is
network management software and exports the display.

What I need to know is:

1. What is the best way to restrict access, ie only provide
a very limited subset of tools such as traceroute nslookup
etc. i.e. what files need changing etc? /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc?

2. Automatically login to the system on boot as the restricted
user shell and run the program on the remote host.

I am running the latest build of redhat.

Any suggestions advice would be most appreciated,
Regards,
Matt

2. Info: Auto. Code Generation

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. pipes and xterms

5. VT420, Session management, Emacs

6. Mail Srver setting problem ?

7. Session management

8. How to print out man pages?

9. Session Management with IIS-Apache ?

10. Gnome session management: discard command

11. Disable session management in XFCE

12. session management in Apache

13. Session Management on Solaris