I'll rephrase that: Kde media player DOES NOTHING! why??

I'll rephrase that: Kde media player DOES NOTHING! why??

Post by Myown Truesel » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Mandrake 7.2
Kde2
sound is just fine
xmms is just fine
kde mediaplayer (aka kaiman) does NOTHING
NOTHING AT ALL
Not even a window.

Why?
Does anyone who has anything to do with
developing this stuff actually *read* this group??

I'll rephrase that: Kde media player DOES NOTHING! why??

Post by Wolfgang Scheiche » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Mandrake 7.2
> Kde2
> sound is just fine

kde-sound too? or what exactly?

Quote:> xmms is just fine

Sounds to easy for me! xmms is not running 'just fine' with kde without
using either a plugin or starting with artsdsp
Soundserver is not running, right?

Quote:> kde mediaplayer (aka kaiman) does NOTHING
> NOTHING AT ALL
> Not even a window.

Well, i might be wrong, but kde-programms need the kde-soundserver to play
sound. And if the soundserver is crashed things can be eaven worse.
IMHO is KDE2.0-aRts not very stable. I really do hope it get's better on
monday, when KDE2.0.1 is released.
In the meantime, check, if your soundserver is started on login.
Maybe delete some temporary files, don't know for sure, but i think i had
som trash in /tmp after aRtsd died, once.

Worf

Post by Don War » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Mandrake 7.2 Kde2 sound is just fine xmms is just fine kde mediaplayer (aka
> kaiman) does NOTHING NOTHING AT ALL Not even a window.

> Why? Does anyone who has anything to do with developing this stuff actually
> *read* this group??

 It isn't just you.

 I am running Caldera 2.4 xfree401 xmms works just fine, not a peep out of
kaiman.

 I have yet to figure out how to get system sounds enabled so I don't have
those either. CD player works.

 Not much help, but I can tell you that you are not the only one. Hopefully
this will be fixed with the update next week.

--
Don Ward
dwarthogatbresnanlin.knet

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:18:52

> > Mandrake 7.2 Kde2 sound is just fine xmms is just fine kde mediaplayer (aka
> > kaiman) does NOTHING NOTHING AT ALL Not even a window.

> > Why? Does anyone who has anything to do with developing this stuff actually
> > *read* this group??

>  It isn't just you.

>  I am running Caldera 2.4 xfree401 xmms works just fine, not a peep out of
> kaiman.

>  I have yet to figure out how to get system sounds enabled so I don't have
> those either. CD player works.

Try to go to Control Panel -> Sound -> Sound Server and check the box
Start aArts Sound server at login.

This should fix the systems sound problem as well as the kaiman problem.

Quote:>  Not much help, but I can tell you that you are not the only one. Hopefully
> this will be fixed with the update next week.

> --
> Don Ward
> dwarthogatbresnanlin.knet
> Caldera e2.4 KDE2 Xfree401

Rasmus B. Hansen

---
If you only have a hammer
everything looks like a nail

I'll rephrase that: Kde media player DOES NOTHING! why??

Post by Myown Truesel » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:53:42

Quote:> > Mandrake 7.2
> > Kde2
> > sound is just fine
> kde-sound too? or what exactly?

well I've tried a few apps that use sound...
licq for example gives the "uh oh"

Quote:> > xmms is just fine

> Sounds to easy for me! xmms is not running 'just fine' with kde without
> using either a plugin or starting with artsdsp
> Soundserver is not running, right?

Well I boot up, log in, run xmms from the command line,
choose an mp3 and play it.
Noises come out of the speakers. Sometimes nice noises
but sometimes it sounds crap. I suspect the speakers but my friend
tells me its because 70s glam rock just *sounds* that bad.

Quote:> > kde mediaplayer (aka kaiman) does NOTHING
> > NOTHING AT ALL
> > Not even a window.

> Well, i might be wrong, but kde-programms need the kde-soundserver to play
> sound. And if the soundserver is crashed things can be eaven worse.
> IMHO is KDE2.0-aRts not very stable. I really do hope it get's better on
> monday, when KDE2.0.1 is released.

ahhhhh I had that enabled initially cos I liked the theme sounds on the
desktop... but when it was running (the soundserver) licq wouldn't
"uh oh" at me when a message arrived... so I disabled the soundserver.

I'll enable it and see what happens.

Anyone know how to get licq to make the appropriate noises with
the soundserver running?

Quote:> In the meantime, check, if your soundserver is started on login.
> Maybe delete some temporary files, don't know for sure, but i think i had
> som trash in /tmp after aRtsd died, once.

k we shall see...
:)

I'll rephrase that: Kde media player DOES NOTHING! why??

Post by Ladislav Stroji » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I have the same problem, but I am sure my aRts is running just fine.

xmms plays OK, using aRts output plugin.
System sounds are OK.

Kaiman just starts, outputs nothing, just hangs there....

Quote:> > Mandrake 7.2
> > Kde2
> > sound is just fine
> > xmms is just fine

I'll rephrase that: Kde media player DOES NOTHING! why??

Post by K. Foste » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I have had the same problem from installation of KDE2.
Nothing fixes it.
However if you start Kaiman from within GNOME it works just fine (using
RH7).

> > > Mandrake 7.2 Kde2 sound is just fine xmms is just fine kde mediaplayer
(aka
> > > kaiman) does NOTHING NOTHING AT ALL Not even a window.

> > > Why? Does anyone who has anything to do with developing this stuff
actually
> > > *read* this group??

> >  It isn't just you.

> >  I am running Caldera 2.4 xfree401 xmms works just fine, not a peep out
of
> > kaiman.

> >  I have yet to figure out how to get system sounds enabled so I don't
have
> > those either. CD player works.

> Try to go to Control Panel -> Sound -> Sound Server and check the box
> Start aArts Sound server at login.

> This should fix the systems sound problem as well as the kaiman problem.

> >  Not much help, but I can tell you that you are not the only one.
Hopefully
> > this will be fixed with the update next week.

> > --
> > Don Ward
> > dwarthogatbresnanlin.knet
> > Caldera e2.4 KDE2 Xfree401

> Rasmus B. Hansen

> ---
> If you only have a hammer
> everything looks like a nail

I'll rephrase that: Kde media player DOES NOTHING! why??

Post by K. Foste » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I have had the same problem from installation of KDE2.
Nothing fixes it.
However if you start Kaiman from within GNOME it works just fine (using
RH7).

Quote:

> Mandrake 7.2
> Kde2
> sound is just fine
> xmms is just fine
> kde mediaplayer (aka kaiman) does NOTHING
> NOTHING AT ALL
> Not even a window.

> Why?
> Does anyone who has anything to do with
> developing this stuff actually *read* this group??

I'll rephrase that: Kde media player DOES NOTHING! why??

Post by Myown Truesel » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Which distribution are you running?

Quote:> I have the same problem, but I am sure my aRts is running just fine.

> xmms plays OK, using aRts output plugin.
> System sounds are OK.

> Kaiman just starts, outputs nothing, just hangs there....

> > > Mandrake 7.2
> > > Kde2
> > > sound is just fine
> > > xmms is just fine

1. KDE and QT: OK, I'll bite, whats it take to 'cleanroom' software?

Well, its come to this. I hate programming, anytime I have to debug C,
and especialy C++ I get headaches and kick small animals. But to hell
with my sanity, what would it take to do a cleanroom implementation of
QT? I currently have only the binary version of the library and havent
seen any source to it. If anyone has some good pointers on information
or 'the rules' of developing a non-commercial version of commercial
sofware please point me to them. I'll prolly start with GTK as a base.
Specifically, I need to know if I can look at things like A: the header
files, B: The api definitions. I'd also be interested to know if any
other teams are already working on this effort. Ahh, the sacrifices I
make for my operating system.

-- Greg

2. Linux-based Sharepoint alternative?

3. Microsoft stricks again: Why is Media Player 7 so slooow, so heavy?

4. giving user shutdown permission

5. kde media player & mpeg video

6. FS: Sun System CD-Roms, Jewels or Junk?

7. Popping sound when XMMS or KDE Media Player starts

8. 1.3.1 Developer Only patchset.

9. KDE Media Player

10. Real Player vs Windows Media Player

11. KDE media player crashing