kppp for other than root?

Post by Ralph Alv » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:01:51

How do I allow myself to run kppp as something other than root?

kppp for other than root?

Post by Stephen Brooke » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:42:22

I'm on a Windows machine at the moment so I can't check my own setup, but
from memory all you really need is the /etc/kppp.allow file with a list of
user names that are to be allowed (don't need root in it though). From
memory thats all I did.

S.

kppp for other than root?

Post by reh » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:06:33

> How do I allow myself to run kppp as something other than root?

for a quick hack,
edit /etc/pam.d/kppp as root, comment first line and add second.

#auth   sufficient      /lib/security/pam_rootok.so
auth    sufficient      /lib/security/pam_permit.so

read the pam docs on pam_localuser.so

--
robert
redhat 8.0

kppp for other than root?

Post by Ralph Alv » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:37:44

> I'm on a Windows machine at the moment so I can't check my own setup, but
> from memory all you really need is the /etc/kppp.allow file with a list of
> user names that are to be allowed (don't need root in it though). From
> memory thats all I did.

> S.

After all this time using the Start menu on my RedHat 8 installation, I
finally see the uppermost item is KPPP, and it's set to allow me to run
it as a non-root user.

kppp for other than root?

Post by Ralph Alv » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:17:17

>> I'm on a Windows machine at the moment so I can't check my own setup, but
>> from memory all you really need is the /etc/kppp.allow file with a
>> list of
>> user names that are to be allowed (don't need root in it though). From
>> memory thats all I did.

>> S.

> After all this time using the Start menu on my RedHat 8 installation, I
> finally see the uppermost item is KPPP, and it's set to allow me to run
> it as a non-root user.

Oops. Change that. I thought I was able to use that kppp without my root
password, but now I see I can't. I'll try some the suggestions listed
here on this forum.

1. Can I prevent pinging from others and still ping others?

hi,all
   I have a question about 'ping' work with netfilter.How can I
ban the icmp echo message out and still can send icmp request message
out and can recieve the icmp echo message at the same time.e.g.
I wish I can ping other computer which don't ban icmp echo,but I
also want my computer can't respond the 'ping' from others.I use
iptables.can I?
    Thanks in Advance.

2. Line disconnected...

3. prevent root or others from being fingered?

4. XF86Config & Vivitron 17 (Gateway / Sony)

5. HELP: Root password rejected (and others)

6. Looking for a simple serial I/O program

7. Why is xterm setuid root on some OSes but not others?

8. help with device driver programming

9. Writable by group and others root owned files

10. /dosd/ writeable by others than root?

11. How to share some root power with others?

12. root can login, others can't

13. Changing others passwords, as non-root user