Xwindows problems with Geforce 4

Post by Anton Cron » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:04:14

I'm running redhat 7.3  and it won't run xwindows for me,   when running
startx,  it returns fatal error,  couldn't find screen,

I've tried with another screen  and I have set up the xconfig exactly to
meet my configuration, still it won't start, is there anyone who has an
idea what to do???

/Crona

Post by Jim the Ba » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 04:28:57

> I'm running redhat 7.3  and it won't run xwindows for me,   when running
> startx,  it returns fatal error,  couldn't find screen,

> I've tried with another screen  and I have set up the xconfig exactly to
> meet my configuration, still it won't start, is there anyone who has an
> idea what to do???

> /Crona

I have a GeForece 4 and X is fine. Did you install the drivers?
Second, how about posting you XF86Config here so people can look for obvious
mistakes.
--

Xwindows problems with Geforce 4

Post by Rob Cor » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:31:14

I had the same problem with 7.3 with a Geforce4 Go.  I realized that during
installation, when it detected the video card, it said Geforce 2 MX.  I had
to specifically select Geforce 4 and choose the amount of ram i had.  after
that everything was fine.  i would also recommend downloading the newest
linux drivers from Nvidia (after you have you system up and running).  Once
you get that all set up, the geforce works like a champ.

> I'm running redhat 7.3  and it won't run xwindows for me,   when running
> startx,  it returns fatal error,  couldn't find screen,

> I've tried with another screen  and I have set up the xconfig exactly to
> meet my configuration, still it won't start, is there anyone who has an
> idea what to do???

> /Crona

1. Creative GeForce 256 in XWindows.

Can someone help me?  I just installed FreeBSD for the first time.  I'm a
Linux user but wanted to try it.  I'm having trouble getting XFree to run.
Since I have to use xf86config its a little confusing.  The only geforce
driver I see is "322" labeled "GeForce."  Which I'm using.  I have a 17" KDS
CRT monitor as well.  I've tried all different settings but when X starts
its always either running at 60hz with the screen resolution very low and
filling more of the screen then I can see.  Or its at 86Hz but is all
distorted, its squished and stretched out with lots of scanlines in it.
Does anyone know what my problem might be?  Thanks.

Lee

2. GCC doesnt link agains stdio.h !!!

3. WinFast A170 DDR T & XWindows (NVidia GEForce 4 chip)

4. Good Book on SOCKETS???

5. xwindows freezes with Geforce GTS + x4.01

6. How to have 2 CDROM(ATAPI) drives.

7. XWindows with GeForce

8. Local access only with Apache

9. Suse 6.4 Prophet Geforce 32 meg ---> Prophet II Geforce 2 64 meg - > OOPS

10. GeForce 2 MX (Creative) problem with linux.

11. NVidia Geforce 4 - FreeBSD X11 Problem

12. GeForce 2 and Caldera eDesktop 2.4 installation problems

13. Video Problem (RH7.1 + GeForce GTS 64)