Using kmail with exchange 5.5 server

Post by Nils O. Sel?sd » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:02:29

We have an exchange server with imap enabled. How can I use kmail to contact it?
What authentication method should I use, what are my username -> someone told me
I have to use the NT domain as part of the username, how? My username also
contains spaces, do I need to escape those in some way?

Post by Arne Schmit » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 01:59:57

> We have an exchange server with imap enabled. How can I use kmail to
> contact it? What authentication method should I use, what are my username
> -> someone told me I have to use the NT domain as part of the username,
> how? My username also contains spaces, do I need to escape those in some
> way?

Never used Exchange, so I cannot really tell. But can't you look up your
Outlook settings under Windows? They should be similar to the ones in
KMail, shouldn't they?

Arne

--
Never eat more than you can lift.
                -- Miss Piggy

[--- PGP key available on http://www.root42.de/ ---]

Post by Nils O. Sel?sd » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 22:36:43

>> We have an exchange server with imap enabled. How can I use kmail to
>> contact it? What authentication method should I use, what are my username
>> -> someone told me I have to use the NT domain as part of the username,
>> how? My username also contains spaces, do I need to escape those in some
>> way?

>Never used Exchange, so I cannot really tell. But can't you look up your
>Outlook settings under Windows? They should be similar to the ones in
>KMail, shouldn't they?

No.
I'm using the some other exchange specific protocol...
I cant even see a place in Outlook where I can define an IMAP server...

Post by Arne Schmit » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 00:52:43

>>Never used Exchange, so I cannot really tell. But can't you look up your
>>Outlook settings under Windows? They should be similar to the ones in
>>KMail, shouldn't they?

> No.
> I'm using the some other exchange specific protocol...
> I cant even see a place in Outlook where I can define an IMAP server...

Usually the username in IMAP should as far as I know be the same like on a
POP3 account, so maybe you should try your e-mail address minus the domain
part? The password should be obvious and so should be the mail server.

And I just had a look into Outlook (haha!) and on the German version I had
access to were some options for IMAP. You get the dialog if you choose the
"Extras"-menu (dunno how they are called in English or Norwegian) and then
"Konten" (hmm... maybe "Accounts"?). There you can choose whether you've
got a POP3 or an IMAP-server.

Arne

--
Why can't you be a non-conformist like everyone else?

Post by Nils O. Sel?sd » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:55:26

>>>Never used Exchange, so I cannot really tell. But can't you look up your
>>>Outlook settings under Windows? They should be similar to the ones in
>>>KMail, shouldn't they?

>> No.
>> I'm using the some other exchange specific protocol...
>> I cant even see a place in Outlook where I can define an IMAP server...

>Usually the username in IMAP should as far as I know be the same like on a
>POP3 account, so maybe you should try your e-mail address minus the domain
>part? The password should be obvious and so should be the mail server.

Tried all that stuff.. plus the following..
From what other people tell me the username is
<NT Domain>/<NT username>/<Exchange username> or
<NT username>/<Exchange username> or

Plus a few other variants I also heard. So noone seems to really know..

Post by Robert Davie » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:12:58

> We have an exchange server with imap enabled. How can I use kmail to
> contact it? What authentication method should I use, what are my username
> -> someone told me I have to use the NT domain as part of the username,
> how? My username also contains spaces, do I need to escape those in some
> way?

I've had to use the Exchange IMAP server in the past, it's a piece of cake.

Just in KMail go into Settings->Configure KMail.

Then in Network, add an Incoming Mail server, select protocol as imap, fill
in the rest of the fields on the next form, and that should be it.

You'll probably have to use plain text authentication, rather than the
'windows NTLM' method which is usable with Outlook Express, I didn't see
that option in KMail.

Rob

1. Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 using FreeBSD as a demand dial router

I currently have a Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 that uses its own dial up
modem to connect to our ISP every 2 hours and download mail. I desperately
want to remove the modem from the Server and get Exchange 5.5 to connect to
the ISP through a FreeBSD box configured to do demand dialing and NAT via
ppp.

I have everything configured correctly and working but I don't want FreeBSD
to bring the line up everytime something needs emailed out of the office. I
only want it to dial up every 2 hours or so but I do want it to dial
immediately if someone wishes to browse the Web or FTP, etc.

Has anybody out there performed something similiar? The schedule part of
Exchange only works if you have a modem directly attached so I can't think
of any other way at this end to set up the 2 hourly interval. Maybe there
is something that can be done at the ppp end?

Sinclair

2. "Santa"'s X Files!

3. MS-exchange 5.5 DNS configuration on solaris 5.5

4. SSRT3509 Potential Security Vulnerability in CIFS/9000 Server (rev.1)

5. Portforwarding and Exchange 5.5

6. Cannot make gworkspace

7. Any suggestions regarding an Exchange 5.5 alternative?

8. Download impossible with PCOMM 1.2.10

9. Kmail to MS Exchange server ?

10. Thought: KMail Hook To Exchange Server 2000

11. "dd" using SunOS/5.5

12. Problem in using Solstice 5.5

13. Sunos 5.5&HP-UX NIS server??