KDE/ Netscape Internet problem

Post by tpilc.. » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

I estimate I've spent 40 hours+ trying to fix this. Hope someone can
help!

I have been unable to get access to the internet (MediaOne thru an
ethernet card/Motorola cable modem)  w/ Netscape or KFM (KDE 1.1 -
provided by RedHat, not the problematic 1.1.1) under Linux RH 6.0

(I CAN access running Win98 on same box/ hardware no problem - broadband
is FAST and really sweet!)

When I run Linux. Everything seems to be fine at the command line -
'ifconfig' brings up all the correct info, telling me my connection is
sound, so I know my card, modem, DCHP & friends are running okay.

The problem is when I switch into X/KDE, try to access a WWW address (or
email or news)- either via KDE File Manager or Netscape, I get an
"unknown" error (Does not recognize netscape.com, etc.) Netscape gives
me a dialog box saying I may need to set up $_SOCKS info.

Even within KDE, I can run 'ifconfig' within a terminal window and get
back all the correct info, so I don't think starting X/KDE is crashing
anything.

At first I thought I might need to enter my DNS info manually in the
configuration files - when I called MediaOne they said that they 'don't
use DNS (?)' so that info wouldn't be needed.  My resolv.conf file has
blank info for the NAMESERVER entries, so DCHP is not 'pinging' back any
DNS info.  Under Win98, if I run a lookup ('netconfig' or some such DOS
command - don't remember exactly what I used) I DO get DNS addresses
(digits, not names) reported.

1) Anyone had a similar problem/ solution?

If not - anyone know ANY of the following that might help me fix this?

+) Do KDE/"X" or Netscape have a specific inet configuration file,
different from the ones used by Linux at the command line? Does KFM use
Netscape as an 'engine' when accessing http files, or does it have
browser capability on its own?

+) I installed "X only" when I set up RH 6, then manually RPM'd KDE from
the RH CD onto the box. But RH 6.0 still installed some GNOME-related
stuff even though I did not ask for it on install. Because of this
'partial' install of GNOME, am I now missing some files I need because
GNOME is intercepting part of my X startup?  (This is a shot in the
dark, but I am getting some minor buggy KDE behavior I think is due to
this)

+) Are there any suggested http applications I can run from command line
to help me trouble-shoot my connection?

+) How would MediaOne access names without DNS? (This might help me ask
them the right questions - the Customer Support people are helpful, but
always need to 'ask someone' for answers - IF I could just speak
DIRECTLY to a TECH person, it might help, but they seem to frown on
that! ;) )

*) Would setting $_SOCKS info solve this? What EXACTLY do I need to ask
MediaOne (see my comment above!) to get this info so I can enter it
manually?

or via this group

KDE/ Netscape Internet problem

Post by Rajat Dat » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 11 May 1999 15:59:46 GMT,

>When I run Linux. Everything seems to be fine at the command line -
>'ifconfig' brings up all the correct info, telling me my connection is
>sound, so I know my card, modem, DCHP & friends are running okay.

>The problem is when I switch into X/KDE, try to access a WWW address (or
>email or news)- either via KDE File Manager or Netscape, I get an
>"unknown" error (Does not recognize netscape.com, etc.) Netscape gives
>me a dialog box saying I may need to set up $_SOCKS info.

Have you tried bringing up an X environment without KDE and seeing
if Netscape works?  I presume you have twm or fvwm available, so
bring up X with one of those and see if Netscape works in that
environment.

rajat

KDE/ Netscape Internet problem

Post by ne.. » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

<some snippage of text>

Quote:>At first I thought I might need to enter my DNS info manually in the
>configuration files - when I called MediaOne they said that they 'don't
>use DNS (?)' so that info wouldn't be needed.  My resolv.conf file has
>blank info for the NAMESERVER entries, so DCHP is not 'pinging' back any
>DNS info.  Under Win98, if I run a lookup ('netconfig' or some such DOS
>command - don't remember exactly what I used) I DO get DNS addresses
>(digits, not names) reported.

At first you thought right. /etc/resolv.conf does
need nameserver entries. It seems you will have to
pester your ISP for a nameserver. You could also
try nslookup to give you an IP address to use as
your nameserver (nslookup mediaone.[net|com])

--
Vote for ME -- I'm well-tapered, half-cocked, ill-conceived and TAX-DEFERRED!

Post by Alex Haywar » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

> <some snippage of text>
>>At first I thought I might need to enter my DNS info manually in the
>>configuration files - when I called MediaOne they said that they 'don't
>>use DNS (?)' so that info wouldn't be needed.  My resolv.conf file has
>>blank info for the NAMESERVER entries, so DCHP is not 'pinging' back any
>>DNS info.  Under Win98, if I run a lookup ('netconfig' or some such DOS
>>command - don't remember exactly what I used) I DO get DNS addresses
>>(digits, not names) reported.
> At first you thought right. /etc/resolv.conf does
> need nameserver entries. It seems you will have to
> pester your ISP for a nameserver. You could also
> try nslookup to give you an IP address to use as
> your nameserver (nslookup mediaone.[net|com])

Or, more exactly, you'd use something like:

bash-2.02$ nslookup
Default Server:  oxmail2.ox.ac.uk
Address:  163.1.2.1

Quote:> set type=any
> mediaone.net

Server:  oxmail2.ox.ac.uk
Address:  163.1.2.1

Non-authoritative answer:
mediaone.net    nameserver = ns1.mediaone.net
mediaone.net    nameserver = ns2.mediaone.net
mediaone.net    nameserver = ns5.mediaone.net
mediaone.net    nameserver = ns1.mw.mediaone.net

mediaone.net    nameserver = ns1.mediaone.net
mediaone.net    nameserver = ns2.mediaone.net
mediaone.net    nameserver = ns5.mediaone.net
mediaone.net    nameserver = ns1.mw.mediaone.net
ns1.mediaone.net        internet address = 24.128.1.80
ns2.mediaone.net        internet address = 24.128.1.81
ns5.mediaone.net        internet address = 131.119.245.6
ns1.mw.mediaone.net     internet address = 24.131.1.8

Post by tpilc.. » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

> > <some snippage of text>

> >>At first I thought I might need to enter my DNS info manually in the
> >>configuration files - when I called MediaOne they said that they
> >> 'don't use DNS (?)' so that info wouldn't be needed.
> >>command - don't remember exactly what I used) I DO get DNS addresses
> >>(digits, not names) reported.
> > At first you thought right. /etc/resolv.conf does
> > need nameserver entries. It seems you will have to
> > pester your ISP for a nameserver. You could also
> > try nslookup to give you an IP address to use as
> > your nameserver (nslookup mediaone.[net|com])

> Or, more exactly, you'd use something like:

> bash-2.02$ nslookup
> Default Server:  oxmail2.ox.ac.uk
> Address:  163.1.2.1

> > set type=any
> > mediaone.net
> Server:  oxmail2.ox.ac.uk
> Address:  163.1.2.1

> Non-authoritative answer:
> mediaone.net    nameserver = ns1.mediaone.net
> mediaone.net    nameserver = ns2.mediaone.net
> mediaone.net    nameserver = ns5.mediaone.net
> mediaone.net    nameserver = ns1.mw.mediaone.net

> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> mediaone.net    nameserver = ns1.mediaone.net
> mediaone.net    nameserver = ns2.mediaone.net
> mediaone.net    nameserver = ns5.mediaone.net
> mediaone.net    nameserver = ns1.mw.mediaone.net
> ns1.mediaone.net        internet address = 24.128.1.80
> ns2.mediaone.net        internet address = 24.128.1.81
> ns5.mediaone.net        internet address = 131.119.245.6
> ns1.mw.mediaone.net     internet address = 24.131.1.8

Thanks for the help!! I think I've found that my problem is related to a
defective 'pump' daemon used by Red Hat 6.0 to get info back from dchpc
servers. An update was posted 5/12, I downloaded and installed, but now
my eth0 locks up during LILO.

After further looking thru RedHat's docs (somewhat lacking for the $80 I
shelled out to actually buy RH 6.0 --- which I paid for more to support
development than for the doc's, but which I still find irritating) ...
found that'pump' actually replaces dhcpcd, even though another entry in
the install doc's say dhcpcd is needed on clients retrieving info from
dhcpc servers (so much for proofreading!)

I will rpm -e EVERYTHING and just install the new 'pump' this evening
and hope it all works.  IF it does, guess I'll email the maintainer of
the cable modem HOWTO I was using to make sure they can update the info
for RH 6 to make sure no one else installs dhcpcd and screws the whole
thing up like I did.

AH - the joys of open source!

At least I now have nameserver info to enter by hand if all else fails.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Timo

1. Redhat KDE Internet connectivity problems

I just did a new install of KDE 2.2-11 and am already having problems
using it with the Internet. I'll be surfing along in Konqueror when
it'll stall. I'll either have to wait a few minutes or re-login to get
it back. Also, any time I try to download a file, it'll stall after
5mb or so. Any suggestions?

2. How To Format Output With PRINTF

3. Netra Netscape Internet Server Problem

4. e2fsck on /

5. Problems browsing the internet - Solaris8 - Netscape 7

6. Locale en_US under Solaris 8

7. Login/Password Problem with Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer

8. quota.user file format...

9. Problem with my configuration (Modem and Internet Connection - Kppp....Netscape)

10. Netscape Internet Connection Problem!!!!

11. Problems With Internet/Netscape

12. Kde with netscape - java problem? Help

13. kde and netscape problem