Knode-2 steps forward, 1 back

Post by MH » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:13:47

The new Knode (KDE 2.1) is much improved in most respects, but the change
in the window pane layout was a mistake, IMO.  Not only was the original
layout a more efficient use of space, but it was identical to the layout of
Kmail-which has not changed-and was therefore more aesthetically consistent
with the KDE interface.

--
I use GNU/Linux and support the Free Software Foundation. This message was
composed and transmitted using free software, licensed under the General

Knode-2 steps forward, 1 back

Post by Christian Gebaue » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:24:43

> The new Knode (KDE 2.1) is much improved in most respects, but the change
> in the window pane layout was a mistake, IMO.  Not only was the original
> layout a more efficient use of space, but it was identical to the layout
> of Kmail-which has not changed-and was therefore more aesthetically
> consistent with the KDE interface.

What are you talking about, the two layout modes are the same as in KDE
2.0??

Greetings
Christian
--

Knode-2 steps forward, 1 back

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:44:47

> The new Knode (KDE 2.1) is much improved in most respects, but the
> change
> in the window pane layout was a mistake, IMO.  Not only was the
> original layout a more efficient use of space, but it was identical to
> the layout of Kmail-which has not changed-and was therefore more
> aesthetically consistent with the KDE interface.

If you go go into "Configure Knode"|"Appearence" you can check or
uncheck the "Show long group list" option and then Knode and Kmail will
look just the same.

--
Thomas O.

Knode-2 steps forward, 1 back

Post by MH » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:50:03

> > The new Knode (KDE 2.1) is much improved in most respects, but the
> > change
> > in the window pane layout was a mistake, IMO.  Not only was the
> > original layout a more efficient use of space, but it was identical to
> > the layout of Kmail-which has not changed-and was therefore more
> > aesthetically consistent with the KDE interface.

> If you go go into "Configure Knode"|"Appearence" you can check or
> uncheck the "Show long group list" option and then Knode and Kmail will
> look just the same.

Ahhhh!  There we go.  For some reason I thought that setting was referring
to the fields displayed in the headers pane.  I wonder why it defaults to
"long group"?

--

Post by MH » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:55:38

> > The new Knode (KDE 2.1) is much improved in most respects, but the
> > change
> > in the window pane layout was a mistake, IMO.  Not only was the original
> > layout a more efficient use of space, but it was identical to the layout
> > of Kmail-which has not changed-and was therefore more aesthetically
> > consistent with the KDE interface.

> What are you talking about, the two layout modes are the same as in KDE
> 2.0??

Not by default.  Another poster informed me of the "long group" option
under the "appearance" setting.  Once I unchecked that, the view returned
to the same as in KDE 2.0 (and Kmail).  I should have caught that, but for
some reason I thought that option was referring to the fields displayed in
the headers pane.  Don't know why the default setting was changed, as the
original was so much nicer.

--

Post by Christian Gebaue » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:45:42

>> > The new Knode (KDE 2.1) is much improved in most respects, but the
>> > change
>> > in the window pane layout was a mistake, IMO.  Not only was the
>> > original layout a more efficient use of space, but it was identical to
>> > the layout of Kmail-which has not changed-and was therefore more
>> > aesthetically consistent with the KDE interface.

>> What are you talking about, the two layout modes are the same as in KDE
>> 2.0??

> Not by default.  Another poster informed me of the "long group" option
> under the "appearance" setting.  Once I unchecked that, the view returned
> to the same as in KDE 2.0 (and Kmail).  I should have caught that, but for
> some reason I thought that option was referring to the fields displayed in
> the headers pane.  Don't know why the default setting was changed, as the
> original was so much nicer.

Uhmm, no, the default setting was always "long group list".

Greetings
Christian

Knode-2 steps forward, 1 back

Post by MH » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:34:38

> >> What are you talking about, the two layout modes are the same as in KDE
> >> 2.0??

> > Not by default.  Another poster informed me of the "long group" option
> > under the "appearance" setting.  Once I unchecked that, the view
> > returned
> > to the same as in KDE 2.0 (and Kmail).  I should have caught that, but
> > for some reason I thought that option was referring to the fields
> > displayed in
> > the headers pane.  Don't know why the default setting was changed, as
> > the original was so much nicer.

> Uhmm, no, the default setting was always "long group list".

Well then, it must have been the first thing I ever changed on Knode, since
I don't ever remember doing so, and since I do not recall it being
displayed any differently, ever, on my machine.  Possible.  But that still
wouldn't explain WHY the default is set differently than Kmail, which uses
screen space much more effectively--unless most users actually subscribed
to fif* or more newsgroups, in which case the point might be arguable.

--
I use GNU/Linux and support the Free Software Foundation. This message was
composed and transmitted using free software, licensed under the General
Public License.
--

1. one step forward, two steps back

I had to place the kernel on a non root fs for my raid set which would
include root.

I edited /etc/rc to have kvm_mkdb /boot/bsd

but now I am getting savecore errors

savecore: /bsd: kvm_openfiles: /bsd: No such file or directory

I have tried doing savecore -c /boot/bsd and savecore -f /boot/bsd and that
didnt work either?

any ideas?

2. Newbie needs a little help!

3. one step forward, two steps back..

4. Screen Refreshing

5. NT:One Step Forward,Two Steps Back

6. Syquest SparQ IDE

7. 1 step forward, 5 steps back - newbie HD problems - please help!

8. AD: New Linux CD with Slackware 2.3 for $10

9. Two steps forward: two steps back.

10. Compaq customer steps back from backing Itanium move for Alpha users

11. knode -- back articles

12. Stepping back during debian install

13. Macintosh, Steve Jobs, and Next Step are all back!