KDE2.1.1 problems...

Post by Jan Magne Johanse » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 18:04:06

I have been trying to install KDE 2.1.1 (uppgrading from KDE2.0).
I am compiling the sources, and everything looks good. But when i try to run
the damn thing :), it
gets to
-----------------------
knotify: KNotify::notifyBySound - trying to play file
/usr/local/kde/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
sh: /usr/local/kde/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav: Access denied
-----------------------

then it just hangs, and i have to kill the X-server with
ctrl-alt-backspace..........
The files are readable to all, and plays just fine with "play".

Versions:
QT 2.3.0
Xfree86 4.0.3

Any ideas?

KDE2.1.1 problems...

Quote:> -----------------------
> knotify: KNotify::notifyBySound - trying to play file
> /usr/local/kde/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
> sh: /usr/local/kde/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav: Access denied

Did you check the file permissions on the file it's complaining about?
Are the files in /usr/local/kde/share/sounds/ readable by all?

--
Honza

KDE2.1.1 problems...

Post by Jan Magne Johanse » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 05:39:57

As i stated in my original posting, yes. They are readable to all.

> > I have been trying to install KDE 2.1.1 (uppgrading from KDE2.0).
> > I am compiling the sources, and everything looks good. But when i try to
> > run the damn thing :), it
> > gets to

> > -----------------------
> > knotify: KNotify::notifyBySound - trying to play file
> > /usr/local/kde/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
> > sh: /usr/local/kde/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav: Access denied

> Did you check the file permissions on the file it's complaining about?
> Are the files in /usr/local/kde/share/sounds/ readable by all?

> --
> Honza

1. KDE2.1 -> KDE2.1.1 upgrade problems

Hi there..

I am hoping somebody may be able to help me sort out this annoying problem..

I have Mandrake 7.2 installed on two machines here. I have upgraded the
Kernel to 2.4.3 and everything is fine. I have also upgraded KDE from 2.0
to 2.1 using the Mandrake binary rpms from www.kde.org ...  However, when I
install the 2.1.1 binary rpms, when I log out and log in again, I
get the message 'There was an error setting up inter-process communications
for KDE. DCOPserver not running.' When trying to restart x, I get the above
message and can't get KDE to run... I have to remove the new packages, and
reinstall the old ones before KDE will run again..

I have tried everything I can think of to get it working, but without
success...

Are there any packages I need to upgrade other than the KDE ones to get
2.1.1 working, or is there something stupid I am forgetting to do? (Bit of
a newbie really.....)

Thanks for any help :)

David

2. Linux termcap in OSR5.x.x

3. KDE2.0-->KDE2.1.1 Upgrade Problem

4. NT or 95?

5. keyboard problems in kde2.1.1

6. Compaq Prosignia (NCR 53c710) EISA PC server and Linux - HELP!

7. mailer/newsreader for kde2.1.1?

8. How to set up a Linux-based box as a web server and firewall?

9. KDE2.1.1 Redhat 7.0 rpms?

10. KDE2.1.1: CD eject option missing

11. importing kaddressbook from KDE2 to KDE3.1.1

12. Kmail address-book in KDE2.1.1

13. Kde2.1.1 rawhide help