switching consoles from KDE

Post by slacke » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me why it is when I switch consoles from KDE on tty1 to tty2
and then return to tty1...KDE halts and the Xserver shuts down? I have
duplicated this on several occasions.

TIA,
Chris

--
"Since cats always land on their feet and jelly bread always lands
jelly-side down, what happens if you tie jelly bread to the back of a cat"?

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me why it is when I switch consoles from KDE on tty1 to tty2
> and then return to tty1...KDE halts and the Xserver shuts down? I have
> duplicated this on several occasions.

KDE on tty1? In most distros X runs on tty7 and you have 6 virtual
consoles (textmode) or a number like that. Or do you in fact mean that you
have two X servers running with KDE on each, but you have no virtual
consoles?

Rasmus B?g Hansen

    ,-----.
   {|[;["[|=-.   ?l blev jo opfundet ved en fejltagelse
   `|[.[ [| ))   Fejltagelsen bestod i, at det ikke blev opfundet noget f?r
    `====='

switching consoles from KDE

Post by Kelly Parke » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Can't tell you why, but I got this sort of thing when I switched back to
KDE using Ctrl+Alt+F9 (F9 is my X term key--yours may be different).
Doesn't happen if I use just Alt+F9.  Just keep my hand off the Ctrl key
and it's fine.

kp

> Can anyone tell me why it is when I switch consoles from KDE on tty1 to tty2
> and then return to tty1...KDE halts and the Xserver shuts down? I have
> duplicated this on several occasions.

> TIA,
> Chris

> --
> "Since cats always land on their feet and jelly bread always lands
> jelly-side down, what happens if you tie jelly bread to the back of a cat"?

1. Newbie : Switch to other consoles from KDE

Hi,

I have a question about switching between Linux consoles. When KDE is
running, i can switch to other consoles using Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F2 etc.
When i switch back to the console from which KDE was started (using startx),
i only see the console messages. How do i switch back to the KDE desktop ?

Bye Jan...

P.S. It would be nice if you could also send any replies to my e-mail
address...

--
Jan G.P. Sijm

http://www.murdock.demon.nl

2. mail server???

3. switching from vga console to svga console

4. Newbie LILO problem

5. Strange KDE problems, considering switching KDE for desktop from Win2k

6. Newbie Nightmare !!

7. Sparc/NetBSD: Switching to serial console when you *really* have to!

8. Sending mail from Linux--what's required?

9. Switching from X to console and back

10. VT, screensaver (blank) and switching through consoles

11. Switch to Console

12. Crashes that leave console switching working

13. Switch fra X to console is fatal